cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I have Gsync enabled should that capp the fps to 240

USERMAC
Level 9
When I have Gsync enabled should that capp the fps to 240 because when I am playing some games my fps goes over 240. I ask this as my friends Gsync monitor caps his framerate at 165 and they are saying they have no vertical sync on or anything set to cap the framerate. So I am wondering if my monitor is working as it should when I have Gsync enabled.
6 REPLIES 6

JustinThyme
Level 13
The principal of G sync is to sync the output of the GPU to match the capabilities of the monitor. I seldom have it enabled unless I am experiencing screen tearing in intensive games. Screen tearing happens when the monitor is refreshing faster than the GPU can pump out the frames and its refreshing half of the screen on the info from the previous frame and the other half of the next one. It does not slow down the GPU at all. It may slow down the monitor refresh to match the output of the GPU. Your friend should check his settings.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

cljustin
Level 8
Usually you're able to change your FPS cap depending on the game.

BoutTime01
Level 7
Gsync doesn't cap the FPS. Vsync does and the original implementation of Gsync had Vsync enabled by default. With Gsync on and Vsync off, if FPS exceed the max refresh rate of the monitor, then the Gsync range is exceeded and Gsync no longer works.
To clarify......Gsync only works upto the max refresh rate. The recommendation is to enable both Gsync and Vsync. Within the Gsync range Vsync provides no latency but helps with frame time spacing and gives smoother gameplay.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
USERMAC wrote:
When I have Gsync enabled should that capp the fps to 240 because when I am playing some games my fps goes over 240. I ask this as my friends Gsync monitor caps his framerate at 165 and they are saying they have no vertical sync on or anything set to cap the framerate. So I am wondering if my monitor is working as it should when I have Gsync enabled.

Assuming you own the ROG Swift PG258Q, then yes, your frame rate will max out at 240fps when you enable G-Sync. There's no point having higher fps if your monitor can't keep up. Most people people just want to their fps reach the max refresh rate on their monitor (when they don't even have 240Hz), so you're doing well if the fastest refresh rate available becomes your bottleneck. Honestly I don't think anyone except Superman or Santa will need more than that 🙂 Good to know you have a system that can push the PG258Q to the limit.

Since G-Sync will sync the refresh rate and fps, your fps will then go as high as your refresh rate allows - which is 240Hz. The sync will not be broken even if the frame rate is capable of going beyond that. Time to max out your detail settings!

Merry Xmas!

bass_junkie_xl
Level 11
USERMAC wrote:

i have read through many hrs of gysnc owner forums and i tested this best setting .

gysnc on + normal vysnc on + fps cap 3 fps less then refresh rate = 117, 141 , 162 ,237

( IN GAME VYSNC OFF ) -IMPORTANT <

that way your1 ( normal )
vysnc doesnt cick in because your not going over your max refresh rate 237 ever so gysnc will be on 24/7

3 ffps less then refresh rate is best because there vereince between fps 3 fps less some say 2 some say none i tested it

3 fps less then refresh rate for gsync and never worry again .

i also tested

gysnc on + normal vysnc off + fps cap = tearing on bottom of screen

gysnc + fast sync + no fps cap = felt werid in the mouse after 165 fps no tearing

gysnc+ normal vysnc + 3 fps cap less then refresh is the best way to do it .
if u didnt cap fps normal vysnc would kick in after 165 fps and u would feel the grose input lag the cap fixes that
Rig # 1 - 14900Ks SP-118 | 87 MC @ 6.0 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR5 48GB @ 8,600 c36 | Strix RTX 4090 | PG27AQN 1440P 27" 360 Hz G-Sync ULMB 2

Rig # 2 - 14900K-SP-120 | 89 MC @ 5.9 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR4 32GB @ 4,300 c15 | Strix RTX 3080 | Aoc 1080P 25" 240 Hz G-Sync

bass junkie xl wrote:
i have read through many hrs of gysnc owner forums and i tested this best setting .

gysnc on + normal vysnc on + fps cap 3 fps less then refresh rate = 117, 141 , 162 ,237

( IN GAME VYSNC OFF ) -IMPORTANT <

that way your1 ( normal )
vysnc doesnt cick in because your not going over your max refresh rate 237 ever so gysnc will be on 24/7

3 ffps less then refresh rate is best because there vereince between fps 3 fps less some say 2 some say none i tested it

3 fps less then refresh rate for gsync and never worry again .

i also tested

gysnc on + normal vysnc off + fps cap = tearing on bottom of screen

gysnc + fast sync + no fps cap = felt werid in the mouse after 165 fps no tearing

gysnc+ normal vysnc + 3 fps cap less then refresh is the best way to do it .
if u didnt cap fps normal vysnc would kick in after 165 fps and u would feel the grose input lag the cap fixes that
This is exactly how to do it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk