cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Update BIOS without breaking your RAID

fexnok
Level 7
I have a bootable RAID 0 but not sure if by updating the BIOS my RAID config would be erased. I was actually thinking of saving my current BIOS profile to a USB, flash the BIOS and restore the settings from the USB.

How do you guys normally do it?
4 REPLIES 4

haihane
Level 13
i used to run a RAID1 and would still worry about unintentionally breaking my Raid Array that i wouldn't update my BIOS.

i tried RAID 0 for a short while just to run Crystaldiskmark and be awed at the speeds, but i realize this is unfeasible if stability is my utmost concern.

I was actually thinking of saving my current BIOS profile to a USB, flash the BIOS and restore the settings from the USB.

this sounds it could work in principle.

what i'm not sure: is if whether saying the bios profile would include the RAID array(s) setting(s).

i guess there's only one way to find out -> Try and see what happens.

but!
before doing that, i suggest you be mentally prepared to lose your array regardless, and back up your important data.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

BIOS profiles saved from one version of the BIOS cannot be loaded to a different version. Because of possible changes from one version to the next this constraint is only prudent.

Chino
Level 15
Disconnect your SSD/HDDs. Do the BIOS update. After update, reconnect your SSD/HDDS. Turn on RAID again and input your settings. It should work fine.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Ive had the same raid array on two Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB drives through 3 different mother boards and CPUs as well as countless BIOS updates on all of them, 3 deep on the lastest board already. Ive never unplugged them, simply turn raid back on after the bios update and they are still there. Ive moved off the contents to a NAS in between to be safe but in the end have yet to need that. They have all been IRST raid BIOS, several different versions and several IRST drivers as well.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein