Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by SlackROG View Post
    And to recap what I said before, not even sure why Asus made it seem like to the Newbies that they needed the update tool.

You don't need to fart with this update tool, ME is just drivers only, so uninstall old version from the control panel and install new version, simple, safe and done!

This is not correct.

MEI has both firmware and drivers.

The firmware was previously only updateable if packed with a BIOS update or via OEM MEI firmware flash software. *The New Asus tool will allow you to update your MEI firmware from 11.0.xx.xxxx to 11.8.50.xxxx (for z170). This is entirely separate from the MEI driver in windows which has a similar version number.

The tool for reading your current MEI firmware version is called MEInfo.exe, it is included in the Intel ME system tools package. *Alternatively it is readable inside most of the BIOS config screens.*
    Last edited by Groo87; 11-18-2017 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Added info

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by SlackROG View Post
    HELLO EVERYONE, THIS IS ONLY THE DRIVER! All you have to do is uninstall the older version from the control panel and install the new version, instead of messing with some update tool...

Also it's my understanding that versions in the system vs BIOS numbers do not have to match 100% the same, meaning you are on 11.7x under system and bios is all.

Also there is even newer versions of ME, so when everyone is grabbing this, thinking it's a newer version it's not...

People might want to join this forum and start talking to some of the ME pros over there, and have a look at this;

https://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Int...tem-Tools.html

emsir I read what it says and it doesn't tell us anything, other then saying.

security issue that could potentially place impacted platform at risk...

There is also the word there ---> potentially, and this doesn't mean anything IS going to happen...

Hey don't take me wrong, here's the thing, Intel, Asus, MS, etc., they act like consumers are stupid, because if you walked into a BIG BUSINESS IT department and said this to them trust me, no one is going to take any of this serious without knowing DETAILS...

So unfortunately this is not telling us anything, it's rubbish!

Security is not just about the updates in a system, it's about the 'Line of Defense' that is set in place...

Meaning, you run a hardware firewall, then this so called security situation, someone is going to have to get past that in order to compromise said exploit on the box...

SORRY not trying to hijack post, seriously we need to be asking Intel & Asus what this is really all about with some detailed information, Asus should of posted some detailed information in the downloads section...

In the meantime I suggest everyone look at the link below; > INTEL-SA-00086 (CVE-2017-5705)

https://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Int....html#msg10191
    You said this: There is also the word there ---> potentially, and this doesn't mean anything IS going to happen...
    Or it could mean that there is a risk something IS going to happen. I don't think Intel and Asus are releasing these updates, if nothing is going to happen. That would be a stupid thing to do. If there is a small chance...or a risk, something is going to happen, and you can avoid it by installing 2 files, well, I don't see a problem not doing it. I've installed the updated ME driver and the Update Tool, and everything went smooth. It took me less than 1 minute and I haven't noticed any issue. So why not just install the 2 updates and have a piece of mind? Instead of being negative about it. Have a nice day

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array SlackROG PC Specs
    SlackROG PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VIII Hero
    Processori7-6700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2133 C13
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1060 06G-P4-6262-KR
    Sound CardMotherboard - Onboard
    MonitorMSI Optix G24C
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Pro SSD 128GB
    Storage #2Samsung 840 Pro SSD 128GB
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U14S
    CaseFractal Design Meshify
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3
    Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS Pro
    Mouse Kingston HyperX Pulsefire
    Mouse Pad Kingston HyperX
    OS Slackware 14.2 x64 & Windows 10 x64

Quote Originally Posted by Groo87 View Post
    This is not correct.

MEI has both firmware and drivers.

The firmware was previously only updateable if packed with a BIOS update or via OEM MEI firmware flash software. *The New Asus tool will allow you to update your MEI firmware from 11.0.xx.xxxx to 11.8.50.xxxx (for z170). This is entirely separate from the MEI driver in windows which has a similar version number.

The tool for reading your current MEI firmware version is called MEInfo.exe, it is included in the Intel ME system tools package. *Alternatively it is readable inside most of the BIOS config screens.*
    @Groo87, yes I know this, I was only talking about the drivers, not the BIOS.

@emsir, sorry you are taking me the wrong way, I'm not saying there isn't something real going on here, I am only saying that everyone needs to look and consider before leaping, what they are getting into.

Also realize this, it is a fact that just because updates come out that are suppose to help us, it doesn't mean things always go smoothly and people don't end up having problems. So it's also a good thing to sit a little and wait, of course depending on the severity of the issue, but to wait if possible to see how it's working for everyone.

The point I'm trying to make is, I'm hoping many people here realize that updates have caused a lot of people problems, and I'm not just talking about Asus, or Intel, but look at how many times MS updates have hosed people's computers doing updates...

Anyhow, this isn't about being negative, it's about being careful, all the way around, I hope this has cleared the air.

OH and I have heard this update is a pretty serious issue, big stuff.

I've been told there could be a relationship to this article;

https://www.blackhat.com/eu-17/brief...nt-engine-8668

I heard there might be an Info Release from Intel this week over this...

Just remember updating a computer is a matter of perspective, based on the needs of the end-user... Not everyone does the same thing, and has different layers of security and defense in place.

Please remember, if you didn't realize it, Security is a Layered approach, not just doing updates, and this was something I was really trying to explain here.

1. Hardware Firewall
    2. OS/Software Firewall
    3. OS System Hardening
    4. AV/Malware Protection
    5. HIPS

If an end-user has serious Layers of Security in place, then an exploit like this in ME is going to be difficult if not next to impossible to get at, so really the update is only an additional layer being added...

Geeks should not teach to end-users the mentality of, it's just a simple update, why not do it, it worked smooth for me and have piece of mind. SORRY emsir, I'm not trying to be rude, but this is not how we teach the newbies. We teach them be educated, because education is the best defense, with a "Layered Approach"...

What we teach them is to think for themselves, do the research, have a Layered Approach in place, and based off their needs, not someone else, determine whether or not you need this, and most of the time the answer might be that I need this.

You never want to think an update, any update is a simple thing, of course some are, but it's always best to be cautious, and there is nothing simple about the Intel Management Engine either, and an update like this can be problematic for people, just research online about ME and you'll know...

Here's the thing too I didn't mention, I've never said I'm not going to update, but what I do is sit and wait a bit, because I have certainly seen to many times that an update comes out and it has problems and then another update is released to fix the update, and this is a very real situation.

My box is secure, I have very good Layered Security, so I don't have to jump the second something comes out and I never have, I wait and make sure.

There is also one very real thing I forgot to mention, Security is #1, and it should be to everyone, but what is and should be equally important is System Stability, and sometimes messing with updates, that would of been better to wait on, has and can compromise System Stability.
    Last edited by SlackROG; 11-19-2017 at 10:19 PM.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array NemesisChild PC Specs
    NemesisChild PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus X Hero (WI-FI AC)
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2
    Storage #2WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X42
    CaseCooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
    Headset Logitech G Pro
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries
    OS Windows 10 Home x64 (UEFI)
    Network RouterLinksys WRT1900AC

For those of you still getting "can't open asio.sys (2) error. I finally got the FW to update, here's what I did:

1.) Unpack the MEUpdateTool .rar file to a formatted USB flash drive.
    2.) Temporarily disable your AV.
    3.) Once unpacked to flash drive, right click on the MEUpdateTool.exe file and run as an Admin.

Hope this helps...
    Intel i7 8700K@ 5.2GHz (Delidded)
    ASUS Maximus X Hero (Bios 1801)
    NZXT Kraken X42
    G.Skill TridentZ@ 4000MHz CL16 2x8GB
    SLI: 2x Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE@ 2025/2025MHz
    Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2
    Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
    Storage: WD Black 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 2TB
    EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

ROG Member Array

it works!!!thanks Nemesis Child

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array ondersma80 PC Specs
    ondersma80 PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VIII Hero Alpha
    Processori7-6700K
    Memory (part number)F4-3000C15D-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Sound CardXonar DSX
    MonitorPG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #2Assorted SSD & HDD
    CPU CoolerNH-D14
    Power SupplySilencer MK III 850W
    Keyboard G105
    Mouse G700S
    Headset/Speakers Bose Companion 5
    OS Windows 10 - I moved on from the technology of the previous decade.

For anyone still wondering what "security" this patches, it patches this: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/int...hes,35971.html

You can run the tool provided by Intel and will find your system is not vulnerable if you applied the update properly.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrBullet View Post
    https://www.techspot.com/news/71836-...ulnerable.html

Don't post much but not one of you (including ASUS) has posted WHY this update is here (vulnerability means anything)...sheesh.

Secondly to the people wondering how to install the update. ALWAYS update firmware first. Software looks to hardware and determines what to use in term of drivers, etc while firmware does not care what you have for software...firmware guides your hardware.

Read the instructions and do your own research before you complain something does not work. Stop being lazy. All you are doing is having us read through your repetitive questions in the thread just to get to relevant information.
    How useless you are. A forum is exactly for that. For help. So start helping people or get the f out of here and go to a mental facility. What is wrong with you? You disgust me.

ROG Enthusiast Array scaramonga PC Specs
    scaramonga PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
    ProcessorIntel i7 6700k @ 4.8GHz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill TridentZ 3200 16Gb (8x2) DDR4
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GTX1080 FE - EK-FC 1080 H20
    Sound CardOnboard SFX
    MonitorASUS RoG Swift PG348Q - 3440x1440 21:9
    Storage #1Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1Tb SSD
    CPU CoolerEK Supremacy EVO Nickel CPU Waterblock
    CaseNXZT Switch 810
    Power SupplyCorsair 860i AX - Noiseblocker fan modded
    Keyboard A to Z + some numbers and symbols
    Mouse Logitech G903
    Headset Sennheiser 598's SE
    Mouse Pad Roccat TAITO 3mm medium
    Headset/Speakers Creative T40 II
    OS Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016 x64
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC68U on FTTC - Merlin F/W
    Accessory #1 Alphacool Ut60 Triple RAD
    Accessory #2 XSPC Drive Bay Res
    Accessory #3 EK D5 Vario

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisChild View Post
    For those of you still getting "can't open asio.sys (2) error. I finally got the FW to update, here's what I did:

1.) Unpack the MEUpdateTool .rar file to a formatted USB flash drive.
    2.) Temporarily disable your AV.
    3.) Once unpacked to flash drive, right click on the MEUpdateTool.exe file and run as an Admin.

Hope this helps...
    Still not working for me, same error 'Check MEI driver is installed', which it is. It's because I don't have the required .reg entries (due to not installing FULL software, which I refuse to do), thus it can't determine what version I have installed.

I did ask for the information that is in that .reg entry, so that I could add it myself, but no one wants to come forward with it.

New ROGer Array

Worked fine for me
    Before update Intel ME was 11.6 BUILD 1196 and after it became 11.8 BUILD 3399

ROG Member Array

Looks like a new version of the INTEL ME update tool posted today (11-22-17_ to the MH VIII Hero BIOS downloads page

It has the same exact description as the 11-09-17 version except it is larger at 3.71 MB

Anyone have a clue?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast