cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange overclocking problem

Jbonnett
Level 8
Hi All,
I've recently RMA'd my motherboard (R5E) and processor (5960X) due to what I believe is the motherboard killing the processor, as I had to replace it twice (lets just say after sending the motherboard off they did find something wrong with it), previously I had a stable overclock at 4.6ghz uncore @ 1.30v although now I'm struggling to get anything. Even though I can boot into Windows on 4.6ghz @ 1.35v and it just BSOD's when I try doing something and it does the same for any other overclock and different intervals.

I've tried 4ghz @ 1.36v and it's just too unstable I literally can't get any overclock and I wouldn't add anymore voltage (at least for such little performance boost). I've tried the latest BIOS and also the BIOS that I used when I achieved my 4.6ghz. I did try the preset too with no luck.

Anyone had any issues like this?

Thanks,
Jamie
59 REPLIES 59

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
So, the motherboard is the only component that was changed or your CPU as well?

Both were replaced.

Chino wrote:
So, the motherboard is the only component that was changed or your CPU as well?

Jbonnett wrote:
Both were replaced.

Your new CPU part can't overclock with the same voltages/settings as your old CPU part.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Your new CPU part can't overclock with the same voltages/settings as your old CPU part.

I know this, that was not the point I was making. Sorry if that sounds rude, I'm really not meaning it to be.
I'm just a little frustrated at the moment with my system.

Jbonnett wrote:
I know this, that was not the point I was making. Sorry if that sounds rude, I'm really not meaning it to be.
I'm just a little frustrated at the moment with my system.

Then do as suggested and stop overclocking the memory, then retest. You want to rule out any red herrings by stress testing the system with no memory overclock applied. This includes using XMP, or adjusting the memory frequency and timings in any way from stock.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Then do as suggested and stop overclocking the memory, then retest. You want to rule out any red herrings by stress testing the system with no memory overclock applied. This includes using XMP, or adjusting the memory frequency and timings in any way from stock.

I did that at first, although kept having problems. I usually follow this guide https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz2VRRbLPrZnMXpJY3k5Vk8zSVU/edit

MikeAdu
Level 9
Hello Jamie.
Can you tell us more about your settings in bios?For how long did it work for the first time before BSODs appear?
I have the same motherboard with CPU,running at 4,5/4.0cache at 1.25 volts both and input voltage 1,92 without any issue.
What were your temperatures also?
Mike.

Jbonnett
Level 8
I can't tell you about the temps right now, but I can tell you that temps are not an issue here.
First setting I change is to go manual overclocking mode, then to set the CPU strap to 125mhz. I then move on to setting the core multiplier to 36, so 36 * 125 = 4.5ghz I then set the cache to the same. Then I set the frequency for the RAM which is 3000mhz and the timings which are 15-17-17-35-T2.
I then set the core voltage to 1.35v and then the cache voltage to exactly the same. I also set the RAM voltage to 1.4v.

The system boots fine, and the time it takes to BSOD is different every time so I couldn't tell you at all on this one.

I did the exact same apart from the uncore multipliers which I changed to 32 which is 4ghz and I still get BSOD's. Because of the significant difference in frequency (with the same stability) and the fact that this approach achieved 4.6ghz easily with my previous motherboard and CPU (CPU of which was replaced twice, same setting no problems), this tells me that there is an underlying problem somewhere else. The only exemption is that I was using lower voltages with my previous kit.

If you need any more information you can see my benchmarks here:
https://valid.x86.fr/6qwjjd
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/1568003

MikeAdu
Level 9
I see.
I think that OCing your memory could make all your problems.Let me explain.
On my previous system(10 years ago) I bought DDR2 Corsair Dominator with 1111MHz at 2,4Volts(XMP profile).I set this voltage on my Asus Striker Extreme and after 3-4 months my memory was dead.Fried.Corsair RMA these 4 Gb to 1066 MHz 8 Gb.I set default voltage 2.1 and this memory is still working now with my QX6700 processor.
As for my new build,which I use now in parallel,I set:
2800MHz at 13-13-13-26-2T at 1.3V with CPU strap 100 with 4,5/4.0 cache at 1,25V both.
I think that 1,4V on your memory could affect on CPU.You will not gain much performance by OCing your memory to high frequency.Try to lower frequency to 2800 with 100 CPU strap.Also lower the RAM voltage to 1.3V (as mine).I think that if you are not a sportsman in OCing,where every MHz is crucial,leave your system at safe settings(which may be lower) to save hardware for long years usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk