cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Upgrade (Is the G20CB compatible for an m.2 NVMe SSD Upgrade)

King_Uni
Level 7
My HDD died in my G20CB and i'm looking to buy the Samsung 960 EVO for my boot drive and a WD Black for my games. I'm just wondering if the 960 EVO is compatible with the G20CB. I'm also worried that the SSD could overheat as i'm unsure if there is enough cooling for it, is this the case?

Thanks for your help.
5 REPLIES 5

gyto6
Level 7
King Uni wrote:
My HDD died in my G20CB and i'm looking to buy the Samsung 960 EVO for my boot drive and a WD Black for my games. I'm just wondering if the 960 EVO is compatible with the G20CB. I'm also worried that the SSD could overheat as i'm unsure if there is enough cooling for it, is this the case?

Thanks for your help.

Several users has shared their advices about this subject on this forum. Whatever, it seemed that the G20CB is limited to 250GB SSD NVMe, no more. In fact, some people's used barely 500GB SSD, but they shared some issues with it. Concerning the heat, you don't have to worry about that according to the SSD you're using. You still can stick some radiator with thermal pad but not with oversizes dimensions.

Alphacool HDX M01 might fit in it and the Samsung 960 PRO 256GB. You can also use a simple SATAIII SSD with a bigger capacity, the performances should be more or less the same excepted if you need the best (Samsung 960 PRO + Samsung 850 EVO as storage solution is to my point of view).

Quanty
Level 9
King Uni wrote:

Thanks for your help.

Hi King Uni,

I've upgraded my CB with an m.2 SSD, 960 Evo. Indeed the CB is limited to 256 Gig.
There is a big forum regarding this topic here:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81993-New-G20CB-B10-M-2-PCIe-Gen3-x4-SSD-more-questions-th...
And a teardown, which is also in the above forum, here:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?94942-Guide-Here-is-the-G20-(CB)-Teardown

Good luck, have fun. Do not hesitate to ask further questions, if any

Hey I just installed a 960 EVO 250GB and it's overheating and throttling after running for a little bit. Typically slowly goes from 50C to about 62C. Than under real load will move towards 70C.

Did you have the same issue? Did you do anything to mitigate it?

An NVMe cooler might help you.

Just installed a PM961 128G. Make sure to change the bios setting of CPU and Chassis fan to 'Disable' .Then the fan will run at 100% duty which will cool the M.2 SSD significantly . Hope this small tip can help anyone who has overheating issue.