cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can MCE's applied voltage on the Maximus X Hero be toned down a bit?

Noirgheos
Level 7
My 8700K is pulling 1.42V to apply just 4.7GHz to all cores. Manually, I can hit a stable 5GHz on all of them with 1.34V. Is there a way to manually edit the voltage, or will a BIOS update be the only thing that fixes it?
8 REPLIES 8

SherardG
Level 7
Noirgheos wrote:
My 8700K is pulling 1.42V to apply just 4.7GHz to all cores. Manually, I can hit a stable 5GHz on all of them with 1.34V. Is there a way to manually edit the voltage, or will a BIOS update be the only thing that fixes it?

Hello,

Experienced the same straight out of the box. VCORE & COREVID even hitting mid 1,5's. I switched off MCE and tweaked IA DC & IA AC LL to 0.01, modified others. Running 4,8GHz @ 1,28V more or less @ LLC 5. Saved me 10C from my idle in temps from default mode.

I'm just basing my opinions on personal experience, and in by no means am I an expert, wait for Raja or others to provide you with help.

SherardG wrote:
Hello,

Experienced the same straight out of the box. VCORE & COREVID even hitting mid 1,5's. I switched off MCE and tweaked IA DC & IA AC LL to 0.01, modified others. Running 4,8GHz @ 1,28V more or less @ LLC 5. Saved me 10C from my idle in temps from default mode.

I'm just basing my opinions on personal experience, and in by no means am I an expert, wait for Raja or others to provide you with help.

Same with me , using manual voltage at 1,28v cuz with everythign in default voltages goes crazy like 1.5-1.36v :rolleyes:
i have this: bla bla bla rog this rog that heh

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
The rules are there for all CPUs and not any particular sample. If the voltage is more than what is needed then tune manually. Your options are open 🙂
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
The rules are there for all CPUs and not any particular sample. If the voltage is more than what is needed then tune manually. Your options are open 🙂

That doesn't address the issue.

erocker wrote:

The defaults will be relaxed on future builds. In the meantime, use a lower level of LLC, and set the IA and set the IA AC & DC load lines to 0.01 as a starting point. Then tune them to get the voltage you want. You can also reduce the Cache ratio, which will lower the requested VID.

erocker wrote:

No, perhaps not. But it's easily avoided by tuning the system manually so that the scaling is of no concern. 1.42v although high for the given frequency is not alarming on this platform

Silent Scone wrote:
No, perhaps not. But it's easily avoided by tuning the system manually so that the scaling is of no concern. 1.42v although high for the given frequency is not alarming on this platform

Your opinion. Thanks for trying to help though.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
The defaults will be relaxed on future builds. In the meantime, use a lower level of LLC, and set the IA and set the IA AC & DC load lines to 0.01 as a starting point. Then tune them to get the voltage you want. You can also reduce the Cache ratio, which will lower the requested VID.

Thank you very much!

erocker wrote:
Your opinion. Thanks for trying to help though.

Thank you very much!

It's not an opinion, 1.42v is fine for most workloads. Some CPU may need that much. If tuning for the least vcore required it's always best to tune these things manually anyway. As the rules are changing, though, both will give you a better outcome in future 😛