cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DRAM SPD write option

Aliveran
Level 7
Can a good soul let me know how to get dram spd write access in the bios of the rampage VI extreme, trying to run thaiphoon to fix gskill rgb ram, but write capability must be enabled via the bios setup, I could not find that option so far.
8 REPLIES 8

Korth
Level 14
Exactly what are you trying to "fix"?

I doubt any RGB-specific data is encoded within the SPD.

And flashing your own values into the SPD EEPROM only changes what the DIMMs report to firmware, it can't and won't actually make the DDR4 silicon itself capable of running any faster. The SPD (and EPP/XMP) profiles are only "autodetect" defaults anyhow, the user can override them through system firmware and software.

The best way to muck around with SPD EEPROM would be through a simpler mainboard with dumber firmware which allows "direct" SMBus access. A complex overclocky motherboard like the ROG R6E is probably packed full of always-active "smart" UEFI firmcode which complicates or undermines attempts to reflash component-level EEPROMs.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

nothing like it, like many I do have gskill rgb ram module that seems dead but are not due to some conflict between different rgb controlling software, with dram spd write enabled I can fix it. my question was about how to enable dram spd write in the bios on the rampage vi extreme, nothing else.
thanks for the message though.

Korth
Level 14
I found this (for X99) and this (for X299).

The free/demo version of Thaiphoon Burner software cannot Write SPDs, only the purchased versions can.
I've used free RWE software for writing SPDs before, I think it would work for this purpose although I'm not certain.

Some people are speculating there's some sort of SMBus lockout on the PCH from ASUS Aura. I have no idea whether this is true. A variety of G.Skill (and Corsair) DDR4 kits still have some RGB issues on (ASUS and non-ASUS) X299 mobos. You might want to list your specific G.Skill kit in AkaNe's thread.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Thaiphoon Burner does not support SPD access on the X299 platform.

There you go..now I know why I can't get it to work :P, I guess I'm good for buying a new kit. thanks for the info!.

Korth
Level 14
Would it work if you could reflash the DIMMs in another DDR4 motherboard?

[/Korth]

yeah, if its not a x299 based motherboard, I'll go with my ram at a friend's home and try on his comp.

skypine27
Level 7
Not sure if this has been covered or not but:

When you google “GSKILL RGB LED control” you will be directed to their beta software which tells you (like OP said) you must enable the SPD Write option for your ram on X99 boards for it to work. I can confirm you do, as I was using GSKILL RGB on my Rampage VE v10 and this was true.*

However I took the same RGB ram and put it in my R6E (which does NOT have the SPD option in the BIOS) and it works fine under Aura.

I believe the Ram SPD thing and RGB control was specific only to x99 boards. Not x299*
*CPU: Intel 10980XE @ 5.0 ghz (by Core usage) w/ EK monoblock
*Mobo: Asus Rampage VIE
*RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000 G.Skill TridentZ
*Graphics: Gigabite 3090 Waterforce
*Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW @ 120hz
*Storage OS: Samsung SM970 Pro (2TB) Windows 10
*Storage Games Internal: 4TB 850 EVO RAID0
*Storage Extermal: 48TB Raid0 (External USB 3.1 Box)
*Case/PSU: Thermaltake V71 TG/RGB + 3 Rads (120mm, 360mm, 420mm) + Corsair AX1200i PSU