cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WS2812B support for Asus Aura is a huge let down

KeksimusMaximus
Level 8
I was thrilled when i saw that Z370 motherboards will have a WS2812B RGB dedicated port. For these who dont know, these special RGB leds are addressable, it means that software can light up precisely the one led that you tell it to while keeping all other off, thats right, each led can be set to different colour individually.

So why Asus Aura support for them is let down?

First of all, we can use only default effects that will be applied to whole strip - this in no way unleashes the true potential of WS2812B. There is only one header but since they are programmable software should be able to create "custom RGB zones". User would tell Asus Aura how the leds are located, counting from first one to last, how many leds are there and whats the distance between them - preferably using a photo of case and them moving LED objects around - and then software should figure out which leds to lit up and when.

In same way, when setting custom colours users should be able to pick individual leds, or group of leds not the whole strip.... this is not your classic 5050 RGB strip, its WS2812B! Time to step up your game ASUS!

Second fail on Asus side.... the limit of 60 WS2812B leds. If you go to Asus Aura and select port configuration you cant input anything greater than 60. Why is that? People are able to drive up to 1000 WS2812B leds from something as simple as Arduino, yet powerful Asus Aura limits us to only 60? Sure, there is a current limit (3A per port gives max 50 WS2812B) but these leds can be powered externally directly form SATA/MOLEX connector in PSU, so once again, why only 60 Programmable LEDs?

Here is my initial review of functionality:
Dargus Maximus
~Explorer ~Engineer ~Guide
My Youtube channel - PC modding, streaming, gaming
15 REPLIES 15

namoi
Level 8
You can tweak this limitation via editing lastprofile.Xml. Serach for a led counts tag, modify carefully (don't put 500, but 120 should be ok) then restart lighting service.
I saw this on reddit (nzxt subreddit) and didn't tried it myself as o don't have a supported mobo but the guy managed to do it like so.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Thanks, i saw it too. Its nice tho need to verify it if software (and hardware) will actually handle that many leds (address them all, not power them as that ill be doing externally).

Tho the issue remains still, having lots of leds is fun but no point in having them if we cant create our custom lighting zones.

With only 1 WS2812B header all we can have is either one "long strip" tied with same effect or multiple strips running in parallel. Giving us option to define custom light zones will solve this issue completely as this is what addressable leds are about. There is no need for multiple headers as long as we can tell software how our leds are located and how each zone should be definied (by led order).
Dargus Maximus

namoi
Level 8
I agree with you. Adressable leds are new in Aura. Just hope they will upgrade the features but there is so much to be done with the basic 4 pins rgb for it to be stable/usable....

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Update, you can bypass the limitation of 60 WS2812B LEDs on a single strip but you hit another hardcoded limit at 128 LEDs

Dargus Maximus

KeksimusMaximus wrote:
Update, you can bypass the limitation of 60 WS2812B LEDs on a single strip but you hit another hardcoded limit at 128 LEDs

Didn't check the video but it seems the guy needed an external power supply via the psu to power the strip. Don't know if it is mandatory though for 120 leds ? I know the header provides just 5v but if i remember well they cranked up the amps.

namoi wrote:
Didn't check the video but it seems the guy needed an external power supply via the psu to power the strip. Don't know if it is mandatory though for 120 leds ? I know the header provides just 5v but if i remember well they cranked up the amps.

Each led draws max 60mA of current, Asus Hero X header has limit of 3A therfore it can drive only 50 RGB. Yes, i routed power directly from PSU and its strongly recommended for 120 RGB leds as they will draw a massive 7.2A of current. That amount pushed through the tiny goldpin if not melt it at least will significantly increase the temperature around.

The RGB strp itself barely handles such large current as after ~3 meter of strip the voltage drop reaches 0.5V (from 5V to 4.5V ). Maybe its just the lenght of strip i had, if your LEDs will be placed more dense on the strip the voltage drop between each LED will be smaller. But thats not a problem itself, as WS2812B are meant to operate even at 3.5V.

So you use power directly from PSU (molex, sata, separate modular cable) to not melt your motherboard.
Dargus Maximus

KeksimusMaximus wrote:
Each led draws max 60mA of current, Asus Hero X header has limit of 3A therfore it can drive only 50 RGB. Yes, i routed power directly from PSU and its strongly recommended for 120 RGB leds as they will draw a massive 7.2A of current. That amount pushed through the tiny goldpin if not melt it at least will significantly increase the temperature around.

The RGB strp itself barely handles such large current as after ~3 meter of strip the voltage drop reaches 0.5V (from 5V to 4.5V ). Maybe its just the lenght of strip i had, if your LEDs will be placed more dense on the strip the voltage drop between each LED will be smaller. But thats not a problem itself, as WS2812B are meant to operate even at 3.5V.

So you use power directly from PSU (molex, sata, separate modular cable) to not melt your motherboard.
Thanks for you insight.
So on the header itself you keep only the data wire and plug the 5v and ground wires directly to the psu?

namoi wrote:
Thanks for you insight.
So on the header itself you keep only the data wire and plug the 5v and ground wires directly to the psu?

On the header itself i keep only data wire and ground. From the PSU i take 5v and ground.
https://i.imgur.com/9qhbp0M.png

Ground splits into two so there is a common reference point between all components. Its probably not needed as the connection is likely done internally already but its just electrical precaution.
Dargus Maximus

namoi
Level 8
Thanks a lot. That make sense.