cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEAD MOTHERBOARD Asus ROG Rampage V.

Ilyes59
Level 7
Hello, my motherboard grilling last night a red dot appeared and burn someone would you have an explanation even if it is not repairable 😞

Sorry For My English i'm french. Thanx.
23 REPLIES 23

MikeAdu
Level 9
Hello Ilyes.
Sad to hear that about your motherboard.Is it still on warranty?If yes then RMA it.
If not,try to get this unit in the local electronic shop and replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ilyes59
Level 7
I sold my 5960X processor today I pass on the asus rampage VI x299 I really had no luck.

no my motherboard is no longer under warranty

MikeAdu
Level 9
So you will make a new PC on x299 platform?

Korth
Level 14
The motherboard can be repaired. Component level replacement and solder rework of the failed part(s).

The cooked part on your pic is a NIKO-SEM PA102FDG, a common (generic) little Mosfet, worth about $2 although you might have to pay $5~$10 if only buying a single piece. Solder work would be about a 10 minute job, maybe 30 minutes to methodically inspect and troubleshoot everything else in proximity. That particular part may have blown out because some other part(s) failed upstream, and its failure may have damaged some other part(s) downstream, etc. Seems a shame to toss the whole mobo because of a bad $2 component.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

MikeAdu
Level 9
Good idea of changing mosfet,but how to check MOBO without a risk of burning other components during this test?

Korth
Level 14
Diagnostic troubleshooting/testing would be part of a proper repair. To determine the real hardware fault and ensure the replacement part doesn't quickly fail the same way. The answer to "how" is comprehensive knowledge/experience of similar electronics.

Short answer is that if you don't "know" how to do this repair then you should have it done by someone who does. Not cheap, but for a job like this with an obvious fault it should be less costly than a new motherboard.

You did get three years service life from it, just like the ASUS warranty promised. So not a total loss. A cheaper mobo wouldn't even be worth repairing.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Ilyes59
Level 7
OK but I do not know where to find someone who can make me this weld

Korth
Level 14
Somewhere local is preferred, wherever you are.

You can find lots of YouTube vids from guys like Louis Rossman which don't show this specific repair but do show similar sorts of repairs, how to approach them, and what sorts of skills/tools are needed. The component failure on your board is immediately obvious so the repair is relatively easy and can avoid all the time normally needed to locate the fault. You can always take it into your local computer shops - they'll tell you they can repair it, they'll tell you they can send it somewhere else for repair, or they'll tell you where to take it yourself, lol.

Maybe it'll cost more to repair than it's worth. Maybe you can sell it on eBay or craigslist as a spare-parts board. I've purchased dead motherboards before since some parts (like Intel/AMD chipsets and CPU sockets) are not otherwise available in small (<1000 or <10000) quantities. (But sorry, I have no need for any X99 parts at the moment, lol.)

If you don't have skills for "micro" soldering then an expensive X99 motherboard is not a good choice to learn and practice them, lol.

[/Korth]

Ilyes59
Level 7
Apparently my motherboard would still be guaranteed at ASUS so I contact the support by mail I am waiting for an answer.

Hoping to have a favorable answer. 😞