cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage VI + Thunderbolt 3 Issues

fexnok
Level 7
I've been having a lot of Thunderbolt issues and I thought it was my Rampage VI but it seems a general ASUS related problems.
I had an ASUS X-99 Deluxe II and thunderbolt card disappeared from time to time but now it happens on my RE6.
If I don't use my thunderbolt device, Windows stops showing Thunderbolt under device manager and the only way to get them working is to shutdown my PC reset BIOS, turn of TB from BIOS, start windows, shutdown PC, enable TB on BIOS and start windows.

Even after that sometimes it doesn't even work on windows.

I have RMA'ed several Thunderbolt EX3 cards thinking that the card was failing and maybe it wasn't . It is very frustrating and now I'm just trying to get a Gigabyte one.

On this similar thread people are complaining about the same issue but I think it is a BIOS related issue that needs to be addressed.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91144-ThunderboltEX-3-firmware-update
7 REPLIES 7

Bill
Level 7
Hello fexnok
Are you on the latest firmware version?
What's the result of the RMA of the Thunderbolt EX3 cards?
Is this issue happening on other motherboards when using Thunderbolt EX3 cards?
Thank you

Bill@ASUS wrote:
Hello fexnok
Are you on the latest firmware version?
What's the result of the RMA of the Thunderbolt EX3 cards?
Is this issue happening on other motherboards when using Thunderbolt EX3 cards?
Thank you

I have just upgraded to latest firmware version for TB3 card. I think it has improved stability but I can't say for sure if it's going to stay like this. I am quite happy so far.
RMA was directly with Amazon so they didn't inspect the cards but send me new ones.

Will definitively keep you posted whether I have issues or not.

I am having problems getting Windows 10 to recognize the Asus Thunderbolt EX3 Card in my Asus Rampage VI Extreme. I've set BIOS Thunderbolt settings, moved card to different PCI slot, and cleared CMOS. I've also replaced card thinking it was a defective card. Nothing works. Why doesn't this card work. Will it be fixed with future BIOS update or should I just forget about Thunderbolt with this motherboard?

rich345 wrote:
I am having problems getting Windows 10 to recognize the Asus Thunderbolt EX3 Card in my Asus Rampage VI Extreme. I've set BIOS Thunderbolt settings, moved card to different PCI slot, and cleared CMOS. I've also replaced card thinking it was a defective card. Nothing works. Why doesn't this card work. Will it be fixed with future BIOS update or should I just forget about Thunderbolt with this motherboard?

That's weird. I've got it perfectly working on mine. What PCI port did you connect yours?
I've connected mine on port PCIe 3, selected same port on BIOS and that's it.

I tried the card in PCI slot 2 and PCI slot 3 with same results.

I was able to get the Asus Thunderbolt EX3 card to work with Asus Rampage VI Extreme! In BIOS under *Thunderbolt menu, I changed "GPIO Force Per" to "On", booted into Windows 10, installed Thunderbolt drivers, and updated Thunderbolt card's firmware. Everything works fine now!

Hi all,

could you check in performance tab if you don't have core 2 at 100% when using thunderboltex III card in your x299 build?
Thank you