cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing keys on G752VT (spilled sticky stuff on keyboard) ? - solved

davemon50
Level 11
My son spilled sticky stuff on his keyboard. Now 3 or 4 keys are sticky. Can someone tell me how to remove the keys without breaking them so I can clean beneath?
Davemon50
4 REPLIES 4

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
We might suggest you to take your product to our service center for comprehensive inspection and help you to fix the problem. Sorry for the trouble.
The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/Service-...All-Countries/
Also you can contact the local service center for help. The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/CallUs#
If it is customer induced damages, it might be have cost of repair.

MrRuckus
Level 10
davemon50 wrote:
My son spilled sticky stuff on his keyboard. Now 3 or 4 keys are sticky. Can someone tell me how to remove the keys without breaking them so I can clean beneath?

If you haven't done it before, I would not recommend it. I broke a key on my G750 and had to get a replacement and put it in. The plastic snaps are fragile and if you break one, you're hosed. I would second to have a repair facility do it. Will cost but the best way to make sure its done right and nothing is broken in the process. I was able to repair mine, but it took a lot of patience and small tools.

I'd make your son pay for it also. These laptops aren't cheap. Good luck!
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

Clintlgm
Level 14
There are several videos on YouTube, there are a couple of company's that sell replacement keys, they have videos on how the are changed out. Good luck lets hope your keyboard circuit hasn't been damaged. Here is one link to a replacement key company, the operation is qudte simple once you see how the part look and work.

My advice is to work slowly and carefully when removing the hinge from the metal connectors on the card itself. if these get damaged the keyboard is done and will have to be replaced.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

davemon50
Level 11
I have replaced keys before, and actually using a 3rd party online key supplier like linked above. It was just on a different laptop and I haven't replaced any on this particular machine, so wasn't sure what to expect. Also, they weren't broken so I didn't need to order new keys, I just wanted to remove the covers safely for cleaning beneath, and the clips were hidden. I wasn't about to lose a laptop for a month or more to service 3 states away just in order to remove a couple keys. Especially since the laptop worked fine other than some stickiness.

Anyway, after time on Youtube I was able to resolve the issue with no complications. I appreciate all the answers above, and thank you OnePiece for the service links.
Davemon50