cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy Zephyrus owners?

mario64
Level 7
Hi all,

I’m considering the 1080 version but see a fair number of reported issues, eg fan noise, distorted speakers, excessive heat, etc. Are there any Zephyrus owners out there not having these problems and are happy with their purchase?

Thanks,
Mario*
2 REPLIES 2

DJRiful
Level 7
mario64 wrote:
Hi all,

I’m considering the 1080 version but see a fair number of reported issues, eg fan noise, distorted speakers, excessive heat, etc. Are there any Zephyrus owners out there not having these problems and are happy with their purchase?

Thanks,
Mario*

Not really, for speakers it only happens rarely. More a software issue because when I close the Chrome that plays YouTube and reopen it again. It's gone. I use USB headphones anyways. Either Logitech G933 or Steelseries Arctis 5, no problems.

For heat, long read. This is common for laptop, there is a thread I explained a bit why laptop temp varies every unit even it is the same model. CPU binning process by Intel and Nvidia (power leak).

waltercool
Level 7
mario64 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks,
Mario*

I have 1080 version. Isn't bad, I should say those are the strengths and weakness:

Pros:
- Cool size
- Screen is amazing. I loved it.
- Very quiet laptop, even with huge demand. I use Linux, and I found more quiet fans and temperature than Windows.
- Touchpad very good designed. You get used to that touchpad (if you are right handed)
- Air flow is great. I never have any heat problem. Even on my knees.
- Very comfortable keyboard, it feels good to type, you get used to the bottom sided orientation.

Cons:
- Weak battery life. Biggest weakness here, It would be AMAZING if Asus updates BIOS to enable Intel + Nvidia hybrid mode as optional. For now is Nvidia only, so, huge battery eater (less than 1.5hrs with battery). Same cons on Linux and Windows.
- Sound is not bad, not good neither. If they solve the very randomly high pinch sound, would be cool. Both Windows and Linux
- Webcam is meh, but just like almost any laptop really.
- Aura provides a lot of colors, but only few configurations (qwer/asdw + other keys modes only). Other laptop makes are lot better on that. Only Windows configuration, they don't have any plan to support Linux.
- Only one m.2 slot.
- Touchpad/Numkey is driver based, so, will only work correctly on Windows. For Linux is touchpad only. Also keys are fixed, no custom hotkeys configuration.
- IDK if I'm the only one with this, but randomly touchpad works very unresponsive, it gets fixed after some secs. Both Windows and Linux.
- USB-C randomly don't detect my DisplayPort. Both Windows and Linux. Might be adapter problem, still investigating.
- ASUS don't gave ANY KIND of support to Linux, so, if works on Windows and not on Linux, your problem. Other brands are better on that.