cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VSK Battery Upgrade

Stepper
Level 7
Hello guys,

Recently I purchased the GL502VSK from amazon.co.uk and I am very happy with the way it performs, but I feel scammed by the falsely advertised battery capabilities. The retailer (ASUS) advertised it as 10 hours on average, but I only reach 3 to 4. I use this laptop both for gaming and for lectures, but I usually game when plugged in so I have no complaints on that front. Furthermore, in comparison with competition, it is clear that the engineers did not spend much attention on the design and battery capability. Please note that even though I am disappointed by the false advertisement, I am merely looking for an answer to the following question:

Is it in any way possible to upgade the internal battery to a more capable one? For instance, upgrade it to a 99wah battery if there is one designed for it?

See description of the laptop I purchased: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073XPHNCT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kind regards
9 REPLIES 9

xeromist
Generally energy density is similar between batteries. Often knock off batteries overstate their capacity. The only reliable way to add significantly more capacity (without a major breakthrough) is with a physically larger battery. Laptops with an external battery can sometimes do this with a bigger battery that sticks out but there really isn't a good option for internal batteries.

Also, with regard to battery life: Generally you will get the longest life with low brightness and all background processes disabled so that the CPU can go to sleep. So make sure you don't have anything unnecessary running in the system tray and disable wireless if you don't need it. No laptop will achieve 10 hours of gaming on battery as that is an energy intensive activity. The battery ratings are pretty much a best case scenario for extremely light usage and low brightness.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi Stepper,

We will only advertise the best case scenario for battery life. There's no other way to tell how long battery will last unless you specify exactly which game or program it is running, or put it under full load. It is the same as when you buy a car, the advertised mileage rate does not account for people doing burnouts and doughnuts.

We do have several laptops which will last you 'up to' 10 hours much more consistently, but they do not possess the gaming power from your GTX 1070. When you intend to game on a laptop, the battery life is reduced considerably. While it may be possible to find a higher capacity battery from a 3rd party, it is not recommended.

If you're gaming, battery life getting 3-4hrs is a good thing.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I was not referring to 3-4 hours whilst gaming, but primarily whilst doing almost nothing but note-taking during my lectures. The sales page advertises 10 hours on average. If I can only get a maximum of 4 hours when taking notes, the discrepancy is so huge that I believe the conditions under which the battery was tested must be listed as something different than "on average". Aside from that, I find it very hard to believe that even under the right conditions, the battery manages to get 10 hours at all.

Is there anything you guys can recommend I should do aside from turning on battery-saver and whatnot to maximize my battery potential? I should have specified, but 4 hours is really all I can get with battery-saver turned on. Please note that I have taken your advise into consideration, but is there anything else I can additionally do? Or is there a thread on the forums I can read for tips and steps?

Stepper wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys.

I was not referring to 3-4 hours whilst gaming, but primarily whilst doing almost nothing but note-taking during my lectures. The sales page advertises 10 hours on average. If I can only get a maximum of 4 hours when taking notes, the discrepancy is so huge that I believe the conditions under which the battery was tested must be listed as something different than "on average". Aside from that, I find it very hard to believe that even under the right conditions, the battery manages to get 10 hours at all.

Is there anything you guys can recommend I should do aside from turning on battery-saver and whatnot to maximize my battery potential? I should have specified, but 4 hours is really all I can get with battery-saver turned on. Please note that I have taken your advise into consideration, but is there anything else I can additionally do? Or is there a thread on the forums I can read for tips and steps?

Hi Stepper,

Can you please let us know, where it is advertised with the description 10hrs battery life on average? The wording is indeed inaccurate.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Hi Stepper,

Can you please let us know, where it is advertised with the description 10hrs battery life on average? The wording is indeed inaccurate.

You can find it under "See More Product Details" in the following URL: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073XPHNCT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you for your help guys, I appreciate it very much.

xeromist
Well, like I said you should check the system tray. You don't need to be running Steam, Origin, printer software, etc. Anything extra could be keeping your CPU awake and reducing your battery life. You can review things set to run on startup using MSConfig but be careful not to disable anything you don't understand because it could be important.

Also, Microsoft claims that Edge extends battery life vs other browsers. So if you are using a browser you could try switching to Edge.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi, dimming the screen should help (Fn+F5) and if you don't need to use the wireless and/or bluetooth, disable one or both.
If the notebook is idle with the screen turned on for periods of time, adjust your power management settings to turn off the screen quicker (not standby unless you don't mind the computer going to sleep and waking it).

link626
Level 7
That's just Amazon misadvertising. Not Asus. Amazon is the seller.

No laptop in this class will last 10 hours. Not even with Nvidia Optimus.