cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARES crossfiring help

Retired
Not applicable
not sure if this is where im supposed to post this but w/e im here,

i have 2 asus ares 5870x2 and by themselves work great but i cant get crossfire to work
i did a fresh install of win7 just for these bad boys and the first try always has the least of problems, after i try installing drivers (ive been using the ones that come on the disc with the ares since they work the best) i get blue screens after logging in and 10 secs after windows is starting up and the only way to fix it is to do a restore point and remove the second card (i tried starting up each card by itself they both work fine when alone)
just they friggin dont like crossfire and dont like most drivers just the ones they come with and have been pulling my hair out for the past 2 days trying to get them to work if anybody could help it is greatly appreciated

specs :

windows 7
asus rampage 3 extreme
intel 980x 3.33ghz
OCZ 6gig 1600mhz 6-8-6-24
antec 1200w high current pro PSU
2x asus ares
all stock

on a side not what order should i install things?

after doing a fresh install of windows i booted up with 1 card and installed chipset audio and usb drivers but didnt know if i should install the video drivers with card installed or put both in before installing video drivers?
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
I would try updating the video card drivers to the latest just in case there is a weird conflict. You can always uninstall and downgrade to the ones on the disc later if you want. Since you seem to have problems with crossfire try installing the new drivers with just one card and then install the 2nd one. Also, make sure that you have the latest BIOS and chipset drivers for the motherboard, not the one from the CD.

In addition, that PSU has multiple rails so make sure that the cards are on separate 12v rails so that they don't cause instability.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

ottoyu34
Level 9
I would suggest getting the latest drivers for the Ares from Asus' support website.

martin_metal_88
Level 8
Also look at your mobo driver. Don't forget that the ATI driver are not the best in this case since the card is a custom Asus. So the best place to get those driver is the Asus website.
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

Retired
Not applicable
hope i dont get this problem i collect my 2 on monday as my shop shut early yeasterday and i didnt arrive in time.

i nearly cried but my girlfriend she did cry as she was upset that i had nothing to open this morning under the tree. i just told her to make it up to me instead 😛