Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

GX501 Zephyrus headphone port not detecting headset mic

Does anyone know how to fix this? I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the latest Realtek HD drivers and uninstalling/updating sonic studio, but haven't had any changes.

EDIT: It appears that the webcam is using the headphone jack and thus overwriting whatever is plugged into it, as the headphone jack can sometimes work but if the webcam is ever activated it will immediately overwrite it.

It's like the Realtek High Definition Audio is being used by both the webcam and the audio jack, and the webcam is taking priority but there is no way to choose to recognise the audio jack.
    Last edited by Kurtino; 06-02-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Super Moderator Array

We might suggest you to take your product to our service center for comprehensive inspection and help you to fix the problem. Sorry for the trouble.
    The following is the contact information:
    http://www.asus.com/support/Service-...All-Countries/
    Also you can contact the local service center for help. The following is the contact information:
    http://www.asus.com/support/CallUs#

I'd like to also report this. I'm using a Logitech G231 headset with unified jack plug but can only have Mic input OR sound output. Not both.
    This doesn't seem like something that should require us to bring our laptops to service centers, but rather a driver fix.

Administrator Array MasterC@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtino View Post
    Do any other Zephyrus owners have this issue?

I'm assuming the headphone jack supports dual channel sound, but when I plug in my headset into the port it doesn't detect my microphone, only displaying the built-in mic as the only thing read.

If the port is fine, does anyone know how to fix this? I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the latest Realtek HD drivers, but haven't had any changes.
    The GX501 supports 4-pole 3.5mm connectors for headsets with mic. For the playback devices, the default device icon does not change when you switch from internal to external when using that connector. We have tested again and it's working fine.
    Have you tried testing the mic, or is it just the icon is confusing?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	6 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	69967

New ROGer Array

Same issue

We've had the zephyrus for a couple of weeks and the jack was working fine until last Saturday when the Realtek audio manager started asking whether we plugged in a mic or headphones.

Since then only headphones or mic are taken into account and, when choosing headphones, the mic falls back to the one from the laptop which is sensible to all the background noises (not great when on com).

ROG Enthusiast Array

Has this issue been solved? I'm having the same issue with another model

New ROGer Array

Same here, headset mic not working

Quote Originally Posted by MasterC@ASUS View Post
    The GX501 supports 4-pole 3.5mm connectors for headsets with mic. For the playback devices, the default device icon does not change when you switch from internal to external when using that connector. We have tested again and it's working fine.
    Have you tried testing the mic, or is it just the icon is confusing?

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	6 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	69967
    My Logitech G231 has a 4-pole connector, and it worked fine until a couple of weeks. This headset works fine on 3 other devices (just tested with Dell, my MobilePhone and a MSI GE24), it simply refuses to work on my most expensive device, the ROG Zephyrus. When plugging in, I have to decide whether I plug headphones or a microphone. If I select mic, nothing works at all. If I select headphone, only speakers of headset are working.
    I already reinstalled drivers (recent one from Realtek and the Drivers from Asus Support site) and SonicSuite with no luck at all.

Any ideas what else can be done?
    I definitely need a working headset for business communication. At the moment, every single office noise can be heard when communication via Skype or Skype4Business as the microphone of the ROG Zephyrus is active even with my headset plugged in!

Jochen
    Last edited by JoeLeTrump; 04-18-2018 at 12:03 PM.

New ROGer Array

Seems to to be Logitech's or Relatek's fault :-(

Folks,

I just plugged in my former headset for further testing, a wired Sennheiser (which I gave to my wife after "upgrading" to the G231). And this one works. Realtek's HD Audio Manager does not ask what kinde of device it is when plugged, and my voice ist recorded by the headset's mic!

I think it's time to buy a new headset (Event though I like the G231).

Jochen

ROG Member Array

I had given up and just surrendered to not having my microphone work, when on two and only two occasions in total has the microphone on my headset been detected instead of my Mic.

I have realised that the webcam seems to be sharing the same device recognition as the audio jack, and they are both competing for what is being active or not, but the webcam is almost always determined as the microphone instead of the headphone jack.

While this worked, activating the camera app on windows caused the webcam to take priority and for it to stop working again. Many months later my laptop crashed and restarted, and the microphone was working temporarily until it went into sleep mode, woke up, and it defaulted to the microphone again. I haven't been able to get it working again since.

This is what my sound panel looks like.

Name:	Microphone.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	74065

This is what it looks like when I plug in my headset (which all appears normal).

Name:	Pluggedin.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	74066

I originally thought this might be just a hardware fault, which it could still be, but having that it sometimes works I'm not too sure and I've never seen this issue with anything else before. Does anyone know what this could be now that I've added further information?

ROG Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtino View Post
    I had given up and just surrendered to not having my microphone work, when on two and only two occasions in total has the microphone on my headset been detected instead of my Mic.

I have realised that the webcam seems to be sharing the same device recognition as the audio jack, and they are both competing for what is being active or not, but the webcam is almost always determined as the microphone instead of the headphone jack.

While this worked, activating the camera app on windows caused the webcam to take priority and for it to stop working again. Many months later my laptop crashed and restarted, and the microphone was working temporarily until it went into sleep mode, woke up, and it defaulted to the microphone again. I haven't been able to get it working again since.

This is what my sound panel looks like.

Name:	Microphone.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	74065

This is what it looks like when I plug in my headset (which all appears normal).

Name:	Pluggedin.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	74066

I originally thought this might be just a hardware fault, which it could still be, but having that it sometimes works I'm not too sure and I've never seen this issue with anything else before. Does anyone know what this could be now that I've added further information?
    I am having the same issue although my head set works its just the mic from the webcam does too so the background noise this picks up is unreal. did you manage to get your issue sorted, is there a way to disable the webcam mic?

I have been looking in to a solution for weeks and have found nothing that has worked, the amount of background noise this picks up is ridiculous i am even thinking about using 3rd party audio software to use as a noise gate

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast