cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GX501 Zephyrus headphone port not detecting headset mic

Kurtino
Level 7
Does anyone know how to fix this? I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the latest Realtek HD drivers and uninstalling/updating sonic studio, but haven't had any changes.

EDIT: It appears that the webcam is using the headphone jack and thus overwriting whatever is plugged into it, as the headphone jack can sometimes work but if the webcam is ever activated it will immediately overwrite it.

It's like the Realtek High Definition Audio is being used by both the webcam and the audio jack, and the webcam is taking priority but there is no way to choose to recognise the audio jack.
17 REPLIES 17

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
We might suggest you to take your product to our service center for comprehensive inspection and help you to fix the problem. Sorry for the trouble.
The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/Service-Center-All-Countries/
Also you can contact the local service center for help. The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/CallUs#

I'd like to also report this. I'm using a Logitech G231 headset with unified jack plug but can only have Mic input OR sound output. Not both.
This doesn't seem like something that should require us to bring our laptops to service centers, but rather a driver fix.
The best part about ASUS ROG's $4000± Zephyrus GX501 laptops is undeniably, that
[they] [come] [with] [built-in airbags]
which take about 7 to 10 months to deploy. And can not be removed by the user, because that voids the warranty.
But that's an easter egg that ASUS won't admit exists, so don't tell anyone. 🙂

Could somebody translate this for me?

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Kurtino wrote:
Do any other Zephyrus owners have this issue?

I'm assuming the headphone jack supports dual channel sound, but when I plug in my headset into the port it doesn't detect my microphone, only displaying the built-in mic as the only thing read.

If the port is fine, does anyone know how to fix this? I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the latest Realtek HD drivers, but haven't had any changes.

The GX501 supports 4-pole 3.5mm connectors for headsets with mic. For the playback devices, the default device icon does not change when you switch from internal to external when using that connector. We have tested again and it's working fine.
Have you tried testing the mic, or is it just the icon is confusing?

We've had the zephyrus for a couple of weeks and the jack was working fine until last Saturday when the Realtek audio manager started asking whether we plugged in a mic or headphones.

Since then only headphones or mic are taken into account and, when choosing headphones, the mic falls back to the one from the laptop which is sensible to all the background noises (not great when on com).

Has this issue been solved? I'm having the same issue with another model

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
The GX501 supports 4-pole 3.5mm connectors for headsets with mic. For the playback devices, the default device icon does not change when you switch from internal to external when using that connector. We have tested again and it's working fine.
Have you tried testing the mic, or is it just the icon is confusing?

My Logitech G231 has a 4-pole connector, and it worked fine until a couple of weeks. This headset works fine on 3 other devices (just tested with Dell, my MobilePhone and a MSI GE24), it simply refuses to work on my most expensive device, the ROG Zephyrus. When plugging in, I have to decide whether I plug headphones or a microphone. If I select mic, nothing works at all. If I select headphone, only speakers of headset are working.
I already reinstalled drivers (recent one from Realtek and the Drivers from Asus Support site) and SonicSuite with no luck at all.

Any ideas what else can be done?
I definitely need a working headset for business communication. At the moment, every single office noise can be heard when communication via Skype or Skype4Business as the microphone of the ROG Zephyrus is active even with my headset plugged in!

Jochen

Folks,

I just plugged in my former headset for further testing, a wired Sennheiser (which I gave to my wife after "upgrading" to the G231). And this one works. Realtek's HD Audio Manager does not ask what kinde of device it is when plugged, and my voice ist recorded by the headset's mic!

I think it's time to buy a new headset (Event though I like the G231).

Jochen

JoeLeTrump wrote:
My Logitech G231 has a 4-pole connector, and it worked fine until a couple of weeks. This headset works fine on 3 other devices (just tested with Dell, my MobilePhone and a MSI GE24), it simply refuses to work on my most expensive device, the ROG Zephyrus. When plugging in, I have to decide whether I plug headphones or a microphone. If I select mic, nothing works at all. If I select headphone, only speakers of headset are working.
I already reinstalled drivers (recent one from Realtek and the Drivers from Asus Support site) and SonicSuite with no luck at all.

Any ideas what else can be done?
I definitely need a working headset for business communication. At the moment, every single office noise can be heard when communication via Skype or Skype4Business as the microphone of the ROG Zephyrus is active even with my headset plugged in!

Jochen

I bet it is the headset
Get a good headset I had the Log 930 and went to the turtle beach 450 stealth WOW Turtle beach is 10 times better audio