cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus FX553VD and Nvidia Graphics Drivers Issue on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

koeks525
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I purchased my Asus FX553VD Notebook late October 2017. I love the notebook, but it is giving me problems 😞

After Windows updated to the Fall Creators Update 64-Bit, I cannot use any Nvidia graphics driver newer than v382.53. Installing any driver newer than the one provided on Asus's website caused the blue screen of death with the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE error. I have updated BIOS, but I still get this blue screen crash if I install anything newer than what ASUS provides on their website. If it is not the blue screen, I get an error message about not having a display connected to an Nvidia GPU.

This is a problem because I purchased Need For Speed: Payback a few days ago. I cannot play the game because my graphics drivers are old, and I need to update. I would go download new drivers, but these all cause the blue screen of death on this notebook 😞 I have sent an email to Asus technical support.

I also tried updating my Intel Graphics driver, but this produces an error about the installer not being able to detect Intel HD graphics:

Is there anything else you guys recommend I try? I really want to play this game 😞

Thanks.
28 REPLIES 28

xeonys33
Level 7
I have had the same problem since updating to Windows 10 rs3. So I downgrade to rs2 and watch the progress.
There seems to be a crash during NVIDIA graphics acceleration.
And there might be a problem with sleep mode.
Please also check that the ASUS team is aware of the BIOS issue.

November 14, 2017—KB4048955 (OS Build 16299.64)

Improvements and fixes
This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:

Addressed issue that causes the Mixed Reality Portal to stop responding on launch.
Addressed issue that causes a black screen to appear when you switch between windowed and full-screen modes when playing some Microsoft DirectX games.
Addressed a compatibility issue that occurs when you play back a Game DVR PC recording using Android or iOS devices.
Addressed issue where the functional keys stop working on Microsoft Designer Keyboards.
Addressed issue to ensure that certain USB devices and head-mounted displays (HMD) are enumerated properly after the system wakes up from Connected Standby.
Addressed issue where the virtual smart card doesn't assess the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) vulnerability correctly.
Addressed issue where Get-StorageJob returns nothing when there are storage jobs running on the machine.
Addressed issue where applications based on the Microsoft JET Database Engine (Microsoft Access 2007 and older or non-Microsoft applications) fail when creating or opening Microsoft Excel .xls files. The error message is: “Unexpected error from external database driver (1). (Microsoft JET Database Engine)".
Addressed issue where application tiles are missing from the Start menu. Additionally, applications that the Store app show as installed don't appear on the application list of the Start menu. Computers that have Internet connectivity and upgrade on or after November 14, 2017 will receive this preventative solution and avoid this issue. Machines that lack network connectivity or have already encountered this issue should follow the steps in the Microsoft Answers thread “Missing apps after installing Windows 10 Fall Creators Update”. Microsoft will release and document an additional solution in a future release.
Addressed issue where Microsoft Edge cannot create a WARP support process and appears to stop responding for up to 3 seconds during a wait timeout. During the timeout period, users cannot navigate or interact with the requested page.
Security updates to Microsoft Scripting Engine, Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows kernel, Internet Explorer, and Windows Media Player.
If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.

For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, see the Security Update Guide.

xeonys33 wrote:
I have had the same problem since updating to Windows 10 rs3. So I downgrade to rs2 and watch the progress.
There seems to be a crash during NVIDIA graphics acceleration.
And there might be a problem with sleep mode.
Please also check that the ASUS team is aware of the BIOS issue.

Before downgrading, I noticed Nvidia released a new graphics driver. I am gonna try that one out and see if it doesn't remedy the situation. If not, I am going back to build 1703 until issues with Fall Creators Update are ironed out. My laptop hasn't shown me issues with sleeping (hopefully it doesn't spring up on my side). I have emailed technical support about the issue and they saying I should downgrade. My BIOS is up to date.

I have the same problem. Any idea how to fix it? The drivers solution doesn't work.

Update: Fixed it temporarily by reverting to the previous Windows build.

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi all

I will report it to our technical support department.
Sorry for the trouble.

Then in this case update the outdated drivers:

• Go to the Device Manager and open on it.
• A pop-up appears and clicks on the driver that is needed to be updated
• Verify the driver which is having an error sign
• Next right-click on the driver & click on the “Update driver software” option
• Wait for some minutes till the update process is going on
• As the process is completed, close the tabs.
• That’s it.

Or to know more visit: http://www.fixwindowserrors.biz/blog/fix-driver-power-state-failure-error-windows-7-8-8-1-10

lorein0688 wrote:
Then in this case update the outdated drivers:

• Go to the Device Manager and open on it.
• A pop-up appears and clicks on the driver that is needed to be updated
• Verify the driver which is having an error sign
• Next right-click on the driver & click on the “Update driver software” option
• Wait for some minutes till the update process is going on
• As the process is completed, close the tabs.
• That’s it.

Or to know more visit: http://www.fixwindowserrors.biz/blog/fix-driver-power-state-failure-error-windows-7-8-8-1-10

And what do you do if the Device Manager says that it's all ok?

https://i.imgur.com/J0syy0X.png

I was successful for a short period by reverting to the old Windows build but I had to update it back. Expecting Microsoft to have fixed it, they haven't. I used the instructions given to me by ASUS's technical department, step by step, it didn't work.

https://i.imgur.com/HutYdPu.png

And I don't want to send it away for a technical checkup as I am just about to go into my December holidays so I will need the laptop for gaming and such. Any other way to fix this issue?

Edit: it seems to be constant ups and downs with me. I updated to the latest BIOS version 304, it works now.

Hi. This is exactly the same issue that I am having - in every single detail. Same model ASUS, same faults, everything.

Although for some infuriating reason I am unable to revert back to the previous Windows. So I'm stuck with either a laptop that cannot even load up - if I update my drivers it constantly crashes to the blue screen of death - or I keep my drivers where they are, and I cannot play a single game on my system.

Is there any news yet on the progress of this fault?

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
We might suggest you could download the 388.43 version VGA driver from NVIDIA official website and try again.