Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AntonioL View Post
    Sorry for asking again about IA DC/AC load line settings, but I would like to be sure to understand how these options work. Is it normal, please, that increasing the impedance leads to higher voltage. My knowledge in electronics is a bit old, but as far i as remember, this setting determines the slope of the straigth line in the (I,V) diagram. The DC load line would be for steady current variation whereas the AC load line would be for transient fluctuations (sorry if those are not the exact english words, but awkward translations). So, rising the DC load line should decrease the voltage delivered for a given current request, as Vcc=Vid - R*Icc. Rising the AC load line should decrease the voltage spikes and drops when the current requested changes quickly (start and end of heavy loads typicaly). But I observe exactly the contrary, and the raising the DC load line results in higher voltage under load. Is something wrong with my motherboard, or is my understanding of load line inexact ? Maybe the logical is different for voltage regulation of a CPU that it is for the feeding of a classical non-linear circuit ?

Intel, in their datasheet, only communicates on a max impedance of 2.4 mOhms, so a 240 value in BIOS, so that the VR fits the IA characteristics. Does it mean that any value under is safe ? I found that the value advised in this forum (0.01) causes unstability, and that a setting of 1 gives a balanced voltage between idle and load with LLC on 4, for the DC load line. For the AC load line, I have no clue, should it be the same as I read in an Intel technical doc for an outdated proc gen ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

The IA load lines affect the VID the CPU requests for a given level of current. Due to resistive losses through the power plane, to maintain a target voltage as the current increases, the requested VID needs to be increased. It's important to understand the difference between VID and the actual voltage.

The values needed depend on the board (power plane impedance is often better - read as lower impedance - than Intel spec), the CPU model used, and the types of load placed on the system (certain AVX workloads consume a lot of power).

-Raja

Quote Originally Posted by dnd123 View Post
    Ok thanks. Sorry for more questions:

reasonable ~= won't fry your CPU?
    so does SVID behaviour have any effect if you manually set IA Load Lines, eg to 0.01? ie does it affect more than just these two values?
    'Reasonable' means it should be within Intel spec for overshoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    The IA load lines affect the VID the CPU requests for a given level of current. Due to resistive losses through the power plane, to maintain a target voltage as the current increases, the requested VID needs to be increased. It's important to understand the difference between VID and the actual voltage.

The values needed depend on the board (power plane impedance is often better - read as lower impedance - than Intel spec), the CPU model used, and the types of load placed on the system (certain AVX workloads consume a lot of power).

-Raja
    Thank you very much, I understand now why delivered voltage increases with the DC impedance. Things work differently from what I thought. You don't really adjust the impedance of the power circuit and thus the resistive losses, but you set the supposed value of this impedance and the VID is adjusted consequently. So when the alleged impedance increases, VID also increases in order to compensate, and the resulting actual voltage follows.

ROG Member Array

Hi guys,

I too have voltage/heating issues with Maximus Hero X and the 8700k. I'm running the default settings in BIOS and my temps jump up and down on just idle on desktop between 32 degrees to high 60s. The volts overshoot to 1.3 - 1.35. What's going on? Is this the norm? Will a BIOS update fix this? I'm not strong at OCing or changing BIOS settings so if there are things I can do please let me know. I'm running BIOS 0802.

Thanks

Set svid behaviour to best case and disable mce if you want pure stock.

ROG Member Array

Set svid behaviour to best case and disable mce if you want pure stock.
    Thanks for the reply Raja. Will this mean the boost will still hit 4.7ghz or will it lock it lower?

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea

With ASUS MCE all cores will hit 4.7, disabled it will do Intel spec, all core 4.3 one core 4.7 though you'll not notice unless you are monitoring it with software

On a vacation Array

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff253 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Raja. Will this mean the boost will still hit 4.7ghz or will it lock it lower?
    Ah, yes. Mr. "Set SVID Behaviour to Best" Raja on it again. Seems like it's the only thing he knows what to say. Apart from deleting messages.

I'd check it with HWiNFO64 and Cinebench or Prime95 if I were you. Chances are that the MCE option is broken as well in your BIOS and that disabling it does nothing but to make things even worse (aka, still having your CPU OC'ed, but at constant 1,344v, like it happens in Strix Z370-G boards).

Quote Originally Posted by Dovakhan View Post
    Ah, yes. Mr. "Set SVID Behaviour to Best" Raja on it again. Seems like it's the only thing he knows what to say. Apart from deleting messages.

I'd check it with HWiNFO64 and Cinebench or Prime95 if I were you. Chances are that the MCE option is broken as well in your BIOS and that disabling it does nothing but to make things even worse (aka, still having your CPU OC'ed, but at constant 1,344v, like it happens in Strix Z370-G boards).

Don't try to create conflict. Posts that makes things personal will be removed. If you persist, expect a vacation and eventual ban. And please don't bother replying with anything snarky, as that too will be removed.

On a vacation Array

Don't try to create conflict.
    Oh, finally got your attention? Good.

Do you know what people here wants to hear? "YES, WE ARE AWARE OF THE ISSUES INVOLVING MCE AND STOCK SETTINGS, AND WE'RE WORKING ON A FIX FOR THEM. THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE".

Instead we get temporary solutions that doesn't solve the core problem, and silence. Or are you telling me that you inter-communication is so poor that you can't even report these issues to your higher-ups?

What I'm surprised is that there isn't even MORE conflict.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast