cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING - Unstable 8600k

Caenyss
Level 7
Hey,
I recently got my new parts, ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING, 8600k and 16gb Gskill Tridentz 3200mhz CL15 while maintaining everything else the same in my system (my PSU is a Corsair AX-760).

First thing I did was update the BIOS to the 430 version and set it to XMP, no OC done on the CPU, and formatted my pc.
But my system started freezing/crashing randomly only when I was browsing or doing something else that doesn't require much power. When gaming the pc never crashed.
I lost quite a few hours trying to figure out what was wrong and after a lot of tests I finally managed to conclude that in the power-saving states where vcore is lower the system gets quite unstable, and I'm now running my system with XMP set and I have disabled SVID support in BIOS and offset cpu voltage to +0.055 since when I leave it in Auto it automatically sets it too high (1.3v!) nothing else I've touched.

Thing is, this shouldn't really happen right? It should work and be stable enough with stock settings! Could this be a faulty CPU, mobo or BIOS?

Many thanks in advance.
15 REPLIES 15

Raja
Level 13
XMP is an overclock. See what happens without XMP - leave the memory running at defaults and see if the system still freezes.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
XMP is an overclock. See what happens without XMP - leave the memory running at defaults and see if the system still freezes.

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that I also tried, during my tests, to leave XMP off and everything else stock (default settings) but it still crashed 5 to 10 minutes after I started Windows. Hence why I went back to XMP since it didn't seem to have an effect. Memtest also ran for more than 2 hours without any crash or errors.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Fully clear the BIOS, set MultiCore Enhancement to disabled and leave all other settings at default. Test if the system is still unstable.

Praz wrote:
Hello

Fully clear the BIOS, set MultiCore Enhancement to disabled and leave all other settings at default. Test if the system is still unstable.

Hey, thank you for your input.

I've tried that but it still crashes. EDIT: Not the case anymore!

I've also noticed something, that may or may not be related to my problem, where DRAM Voltage is higher than it should even if I set it for less than 1.3530:

Praz wrote:
Hello

Some news: It seems my solution didn't work at all and I tried once again doing your suggestion Praz; I loaded defaults, rebooted, turned multicore enhancement off, rebooted and left my system running for 4 hours a video on mpc-hc which would usually crash within 10-25 minutes. It hasn't crashed so far, so I'm guessing XMP is really at fault here?

What can I try to make XMP work? At least I would like to achieve 3200mhz instead of the default of 2133 currently.

Well, just to close this thread, it's been 2 stable days now so I'll assume I've finally found the solution to "my" problem. I left XMP turned off and set manually the frequency, timings and voltages, and it's been working great so far.

I found that my mobo, for some reason, sets these 4 voltages I posted on that picture, way too high, completely unnecessary and it actually brought me instability. They are now at VCCIO 1.0v, System Agent 1.05V, PHC Core voltage and standby voltage 1.0V and it has been working perfectly.

Quite a shame I've had to waste a lot of time around this.

Caenyss wrote:
Some news: It seems my solution didn't work at all and I tried once again doing your suggestion Praz; I loaded defaults, rebooted, turned multicore enhancement off, rebooted and left my system running for 4 hours a video on mpc-hc which would usually crash within 10-25 minutes. It hasn't crashed so far, so I'm guessing XMP is really at fault here?

What can I try to make XMP work? At least I would like to achieve 3200mhz instead of the default of 2133 currently.

Hello

The system being stable with MultiCore Enhancement disabled is a separate issue from instability induced when using XMP. Guessing that XMP is to blame would be wrong. This testing indicates that one or more processor cores have little headroom when overclocking at default VCORE.

Praz wrote:
Hello

The system being stable with MultiCore Enhancement disabled is a separate issue from instability induced when using XMP. Guessing that XMP is to blame would be wrong. This testing indicates that one or more processor cores have little headroom when overclocking at default VCORE.

But we don't know that yet since I haven't tested with it enabled and my current voltage settings, and to be honest I don't want to waste any more time on this.

It's working fine now and I'm going to leave it at that.

And doesn't MultiCore Enhancement only enables Asus OC settings? The BIOS states that the setting disabled uses Intel specs, which is what I want, default cpu with turbo.

Thank you for your help nevertheless! I might've not gotten there if not for you input.

Raja
Level 13
Those voltages are CPU dependant, and as the capabilities and requirements for each processor are different, they will sometimes need manual tuning. XMP is an overclocked configuration, so it's not surprising.