cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error on Post Code 55

vsimone67
Level 7
I built my X399 rig in August and it has been working perfectly, I just moved the internals to a new case and when I powered everything up to test I got a post code of 55. I contacted ASUS and they tell me that this post error is related to memory. My sticks are G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ) which the 32gb version is on the QVL not 64gig. The tech told me it was not supported and was no help.

Here is what I have done so far to trouble shoot (all still get the Post 55).

1) Cleared CMOS from the back of the panel (a few times)
2) jPulled the CMOS battery a few times and let it sit for 15+ minutes
3) Pulled all the sticks out and tried to boot with just one in A1 and two in A1 and C1

Can you give me some other suggestions (I might but 32GB of QVL to see if that was the issue).
2 REPLIES 2

gupsterg
Level 13
The RAM not being on the QVL is not an issue IMO. That us good quality RAM and I would not be swapping it out, it maybe it has a fault, bit all 4 sticks unlikely IMO.

When you have Code: 55 is there a text message/logo indicating what it relates to?

There are also LEDs on mobo which denote issues, see page 1-2 (18 of PDF) and pages 1-14/15 (30/31 of PDF).
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
The RAM not being on the QVL is not an issue IMO. That us good quality RAM and I would not be swapping it out, it maybe it has a fault, bit all 4 sticks unlikely IMO.

When you have Code: 55 is there a text message/logo indicating what it relates to?

There are also LEDs on mobo which denote issues, see page 1-2 (18 of PDF) and pages 1-14/15 (30/31 of PDF).

The LED on the MB is related to Memory and the text message says POST ERROR. I bought two new sticks of RAM just to be sure (I can return them with no penalty) and tried them yesterday and I got the same message (these are on the QVL list). On the BIOS post screen I get the following error message:

PLEASE ENTER SETUP TO RECOVER BIOS SETTINGS
USB DEVICE OVER CURRENT STAUTS DETETCTED

I cannot enter setup. I have tried every troubleshooting tip known so I am gong to have to RMA the board. It is either the board or CPU (since the memory controller is in the CPU). 15+ years of PC building and this is a first.

Here is what I did to troubleshoot:
1) Cleared CMOS (several times)
2) Pulled CMOS battery for an hour (several times)
3) Booted with 1 DIM in A1 (both sets of RAM, tried each stick)
4) Took motherboard out of the case and tried it wiith only the CPU, RAM, and PSU (nothing else)
5) Reseated the CPU and cleared CMOS
6) Reflashed BIOS 0801