cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What 1080 ti to get

mathewjknott
Level 7
Hi,

I am going to be purchasing an GTX 1080 ti in the next couple of days but am having a hard time deciding between the ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti and the OC edition.

Other then the overclock is there any difference between the cards and would i be able to get the same level of performance from the non OC edition if i did a manual OC?
9 REPLIES 9

Menthol
Level 14
In my experience with 1080's most cards will overclock to close to the same, the OC models take the work out of it.
Purchase what ever card that either matches the looks of your system or whatever card you prefer, costs less etc.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi mathewjknott,

As you are probably aware, not all GPUs are created identical. Higher quality GPUs are reserved for the OC edition, it is highly unlikely you'll get the same OC headroom from the non OC edition (not as stable in any case).

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Hi mathewjknott,

As you are probably aware, not all GPUs are created identical. Higher quality GPUs are reserved for the OC edition, it is highly unlikely you'll get the same OC headroom from the non OC edition (not as stable in any case).

Your buddy Raja said to me not long ago that anything above the reference card was a waste of money, that the architecture was solid, better voltage regulation was not needed and chips were not binned and they all overclocked just as good.

Me, I bought the OC edition because it was on special and a promotion for Assassins creed Origins came with it. Even at regular prices and no promotions its a no brainier when the cost difference is next to nothing. Whats $40 or so difference when you are already spending just under $800 on either card?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Your buddy Raja said to me not long ago that anything above the reference card was a waste of money, that the architecture was solid, better voltage regulation was not needed and chips were not binned and they all overclocked just as good.

Me, I bought the OC edition because it was on special and a promotion for Assassins creed Origins came with it. Even at regular prices and no promotions its a no brainier when the cost difference is next to nothing. Whats $40 or so difference when you are already spending just under $800 on either card?

Yes, I stand by what I said: if you are going to water-cool Pascal, it levels the playing field. The architecture is the limit. That was the context of the comment, which is apt advice if one is paying extra money towards a card in hope of seeing more overclocking margin.

If you're going to keep things on the air cooler, you may see some difference (for overclocking) because not all coolers are the same. Capiche? 😉

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Yes, I stand by what I said: if you are going to water-cool Pascal, it levels the playing field. The architecture is the limit. That was the context of the comment, which is apt advice if one is paying extra money towards a card in hope of seeing more overclocking margin.

If you're going to keep things on the air cooler, you may see some difference (for overclocking) because not all coolers are the same. Capiche? 😉

No Capiche, No Comprende, я не понимаю....
Two ASUS reps 180 out. One says its binned and outperforms where the other says a pascal is a pascal and buying up is a waste of money as all you are getting are better fans?

Everyone just wants to know which rep it right.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
No Capiche, No Comprende, я не понимаю....
Two ASUS reps 180 out. One says its binned and outperforms where the other says a pascal is a pascal and buying up is a waste of money as all you are getting are better fans?

Everyone just wants to know which rep it right.

Everyone? It's just you.

That's because I am, and was, talking about water cooling. Pretty simple, Justin. Once you get Pascal down to water cooled temps, the architecture is the limit and all the cards top out around the same freq. The binning that vendors perform for air cooled cards and temps doesn't help in that regard. And I didn't say you were just getting better fans. I said whatever you do get doesn't make a tangible difference for overclocking when the card is water cooled.

Thread closed, as all questions have been more than answered. The forum and rep presence is not to continually engage in meaningless, out of context debates with you - we do not have time or the desire for it. Please try to understand that. The context has been made more than clear, so it's obvious you are being disruptive without cause (again). While I value your helpful contributions to the forum, I do not have time for this type of behavior. And, I know for a fact that you've been warned about it by the moderator team, before. If any of this does not suit, this is not the forum for you. Thank you.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Yeah, thanks to NVIDIA's Greenlight program the benefits are negligible. The Strix, OC or not, is one of the best cards on the market for air-cooled systems. It's miles apart from the reference blower (in some instances more than 20 degrees).

When on water, however, you're limited by amperage restrictions put in place by NVIDIA. Ever since Kepler, NVIDIA has been implementing new ways of locking down the voltage on their cards.

You'd only have to go to any review site or review channel to realise the exact same thing - this isn't anything new. That said, Pascal doesn't seem to respond particularly well to voltage regardless. So like Raja says, the architecture is really the limitation here.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Raja
Level 13
Yes, even if you lift some of the external current limits, the cards tend to top out at the same level. That, together with Pascal's power efficiency, keeps things equal between reference and non-reference cards when they're placed in a capable water loop.

Menthol
Level 14
There both right
With all else being equal the card with the better power section, circuit design, better components, cooling system has an edge and a better chance of out performing the one that doesn't, Nvidia has closed this gap in performance from what it used to be a few generations ago and the manufacturers have filled the gap with options like RGB, better cooling performance
The standard cards can be much louder than aftermarket cards when pushed to the limit, for those that don't water cool there cards this is worth any price difference