Core i7 6700k water cooled
GTX 1080 SEA HAWK EK X 8GB water cooled
ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA
32gb of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4
3200 SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB
EVGA SuperNOVA 850w
Windows 10 Pro

ISSUE:

My computer freezes while booting during spinning dot animation. Uninstalling my graphics card drivers and forcing windows not to reinstall allows me to boot to just fine on the integrated graphics.

THINGS TO NOTE:

1. I can use safemode just fine, and normal boots just fine when nvidia drivers are uninstalled. After drivers are un installed i can plug my monitor into either my video card or my motherboard.

2. I have had a couple of successful normal boots after unplugging and replugging my graphics card into the slot, I noticed it sags a bit due to the weight and size of the card with the watercooling, reseating it helped boot it once, but after reseating it and getting that 1 successful boot, not touching it at all, upon restart, it failed again.

3. I have disabled fast boot, and tried a number of

4. I tried removing the motherboard battery for 20min, and putting it back in, but it froze again on start up.

5. I have updated my bios to latest versions, along with all other drivers on my computer. I have also tried older version of graphics card driver.

6. I tried booting with just 1 monitor plugged in and nothing else, no usb, didn't work

7. Reinstalling Windows 10 works on first start up, but as soon as it installs the graphics card driver, computer screen goes black.

8. I tried pushing the BIOS button on the back of my motherboard to reset the BIOS as well. That didn't work either.

9. Tried booting with just 1 stick of ram, didn't work

10. I have been using this computer for about a year working fine, and this issue seems to have appeared after the latest windows update.

What do you think? Think this is a graphics card issue? Driver issue? or a motherboard issue? If it's a motherboard issue, do you think it could be just the motherboard PCI port going bad? Am i able to just use one of the other 2 ports to plug my graphics card into? I don't have other spare computer parts laying around unfortunately to test and see if those work and i need to redo my water cooling in order to get the card to reach one of the other 2 pci ports on my mobo.
8 REPLIES 8

toronto699
Level 13
Use DDU to uninstall the driver, then reinstall the driver
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

SlackROG
Level 10
Ok a Windows update should not be affecting your graphics card, unless it downloaded a version and installed over your version you had in the system. MS updates can install nvidia drivers, so I'd make sure to have, I keep forgetting this option name, to check for other updates disabled.

Be sure to check what version is installed and if this is the situation, then use DDU and uninstall the Nvidia drivers in safe mode, restart the system, and install a version you had, or newer and try again...

Click the Official Download Link;

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=925

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi kellyclarksn,

Firstly, I like your songs.

Secondly, it might be a better idea to approach MSI if their graphics card seems to be causing you trouble...

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Hi kellyclarksn,

Firstly, I like your songs.

Secondly, it might be a better idea to approach MSI if their graphics card seems to be causing you trouble...

I didn't know you are a Clarkson fan. I'm a fan of this Clarkson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMuO-8S_0Wg

December 8th marks the return of The Grand Tour on Amazon. Will have to watch when I get back home, following the trip.

Raja
Level 13
If you have a spare hard drive, download and install a trial version of Windows. Then install the latest drivers and check if the issue still occurs (wondering if your current install is causing a conflict).

Raja@ASUS wrote:
If you have a spare hard drive, download and install a trial version of Windows. Then install the latest drivers and check if the issue still occurs (wondering if your current install is causing a conflict).

Kelly said it seemed to appear right after a Windows update, so I would not suggest going to all the trouble of installing Windows onto another hard drive, without first cleaning out old graphics drivers and installing a new version.

The only thing that should be effecting a graphics card, is that the MS update was checked to look for other updates and it updated the nivida drivers...

Every Geek running Nvidia should be using DDU;

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Run it in safe mode uninstall your drivers, restart system, and put in a new version and test again....

There's also the possibility of having an infected system, that just happened around the time of the update, making you think it was something to do with the MS update, so make sure to check your system...

As a Windows user, there is no such thing as one AV/Malware tool to do the job, so besides your AV app, you should also use;

ComboFix - great tool!
GMER - need to be pretty geek to use this, but great tool!
Malwarebytes
SUPERAntiSpyware
Spybot Search and Destroy
Spyware Terminator - it's not to bad, doesn't hurt to use it, it's free...

There's some other good apps out there too, the more the merrier, you can never have enough Malware apps when it comes to using Windows...

The reason I mention checking the system for malware, because a screen going blank at load up is also a sign of infection, one way they screw you, keep you off your Desktop...

So you might have to clean and uninstall in Safe Mode ...

Chino wrote:
What monitor are you using?

Did you see Number 7?

7. Reinstalling Windows 10 works on first start up, but as soon as it installs the graphics card driver, computer screen goes black.

I've never seen a monitor go bad and not work because of a driver install/update. As long as a system isn't infected, this normally points to graphics card/driver issues...

Also that wording suggests the MS update installed the drivers, so possibly, wrong or crappy version off of MS update, and just need to go to Nvidia and download the correct version/driver...