cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Identify

liquidfluidity
Level 7

I need to know what this exact part is and does. Anybody help? The is a Rampage 3 Gene. The part has caused no issues but I am in the process of selling and don't want to sell without being repaired. Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

xeromist
****Doesn't meet the requirements for a service inquiry. Moved to motherboard section.*****
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist
It's admirable that you wouldn't want to sell a broken item but if it's not broken why are you trying to change it? This is one of those times I think "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" actually applies.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Korth
Level 14
It's an SOD-323 package. It's a diode, probably a small signal schottky diode.

Part markings look like "R30E O17 CD3" - I'm not sure exactly what that means or who made it, but I'm guessing something like this.

What is that pinkish-purplish stuff on the package? It looks like an internal TIM which has leaked/seeped out (and ASUS used generic pink TIM goop in past years), but diodes and packages of this sort aren't built with thermally mated surfaces so they wouldn't use (and wouldn't even benefit from) TIMs. Perhaps it's some sort of discolouration of the plastics or unburnt solder flux.

The best "repair" you could perform - especially if you want to resell the mobo - is to clean it up. Get that coating of dust and lint and packed crud off all the parts.
I recommend giving the mobo a blast of compressed air. Then carefully cleaning/wiping everything with lint-free cloths and Q-tips and electrical grade (>99%) isopropyl alcohol. (Don't use ~70% drugstore stuff because it contains perfumes and additives which can leave conductive residues and cause problems.)

A competent electronics repair shop could run the board through a cleaning machine, and inspect/repair failed parts. But not for cheap.

It would be easier to identify that part and assess the apparent "damage" to it after it's cleaned up.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Raja
Level 13
Korth wrote:
It's an SOD-323 package. It's a diode, probably a small signal schottky diode.

Part markings look like "R30E O17 CD3" - I'm not sure exactly what that means or who made it, but I'm guessing something like this.

What is that pinkish-purplish stuff on the package? It looks like an internal TIM which has leaked/seeped out (and ASUS used generic pink TIM goop in past years), but diodes and packages of this sort aren't built with thermally mated surfaces so they wouldn't use (and wouldn't even benefit from) TIMs. Perhaps it's some sort of discolouration of the plastics or unburnt solder flux.

The best "repair" you could perform - especially if you want to resell the mobo - is to clean it up. Get that coating of dust and lint and packed crud off all the parts.
I recommend giving the mobo a blast of compressed air. Then carefully cleaning/wiping everything with lint-free cloths and Q-tips and electrical grade (>99%) isopropyl alcohol. (Don't use ~70% drugstore stuff because it contains perfumes and additives which can leave conductive residues and cause problems.)

A competent electronics repair shop could run the board through a cleaning machine, and inspect/repair failed parts. But not for cheap.

It would be easier to identify that part and assess the apparent "damage" to it after it's cleaned up.

Thats a choke, not a diode. Likely been running hot, so a bit of leakage from the bonding.

It's a rusted choke (inductor). It resist changes in current by producing a voltage between its leads in opposing polarity to the change in current.

Korth
Level 14
lol woops that makes sense. Looked like a schottky to me, haha.

So I'm guessing this is an output stage of a VRM circuit? I suppose proximity to the CPU socket and DIMM slots should've tipped me off, but I don't have an R3G mobo to reference.

The real question, given the condition of this part, is how likely the mobo is to fail.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
lol woops that makes sense. Looked like a schottky to me, haha.

So I'm guessing this is an output stage of a VRM circuit? I don't have an R3G mobo to reference.

The real question, given the condition of this part, is how likely the mobo is to fail.

No worries, happens to all of us.

Yes, it's at the output side of the VRM. Its just a coil and substrate, so it should be fine.

liquidfluidity
Level 7
Thank god it's nothing serious. This has been one of my most stable boards ever and was advertised as such. I did later on in the evening figure out it was a choke. I searched high and low for a failed one that looked the same. I had no luck finding one that had spewed that pinkish matter. So I guess my plan will be to clean it up and move it on it's way. It's been a great board for many years and never had any board related failures. I hate to see it go but it's time for an upgrade and funds are available 😉

Thanks guys for the quick replies!

Sorry for starting it out in the wrong area.....doh

liquidfluidity wrote:
Sorry for starting it out in the wrong area.....doh

No worries. That's why we're here. If you ever need something moved feel free to ask a moderator. 🙂