cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS GL502VMZ freezing on startup

Retired
Not applicable
My ASUS GL502VMZ started freezing at the startup screen a few days ago. It loads up to the "ASUS In search of incredible" screen with the dots spinning in a circle. Every now and then the dots will stop spinning and the startup will just freeze on this screen. I've tried doing a system reset with keeping personal files but that hasn't helped. I dont really feel like doing a full reset but I may have to. Anybody seen this happen before?
16 REPLIES 16

HvitrEbrithil
Level 7
kpxmanifesto wrote:
My ASUS GL502VMZ started freezing at the startup screen a few days ago. It loads up to the "ASUS In search of incredible" screen with the dots spinning in a circle. Every now and then the dots will stop spinning and the startup will just freeze on this screen. I've tried doing a system reset with keeping personal files but that hasn't helped. I dont really feel like doing a full reset but I may have to. Anybody seen this happen before?

I have the same model of computer, GL502VMZ, and have been having the exact same issue. I'm not entirely sure whether the issue was there when I first bought it in September, but as far as I can remember it's only recently I've noticed the issue.

I might be off, but I think it might have started around the time I installed GeForce Experience and new Nvidia drivers. But I am not sure.

I have not yet tried a full reset, without knowing the problem I expect it might reappear when I re-install everything, and nothing is gained.

I was wondering if you have found any answer to this issue? Or if anyone else has?

Before it started freezing on startup, did you notice if your disk usage was almost always 99%-100%? Or was it unresponsive before the freezing happened? If it was, it might be a HDD/SDD problem.

tvshim wrote:
Before it started freezing on startup, did you notice if your disk usage was almost always 99%-100%? Or was it unresponsive before the freezing happened? If it was, it might be a HDD/SDD problem.

I didn't notice any abnormal disk usage, at least the times I checked the task manager. No unresponsiveness either, the computer is always working perfectly when it's on.
The problem presents itself when it has been turned off and is turned back on, or when it has been in sleep mode (or could be hibernation mode) and then is turned on again. Not too sure, but the problem seems more frequent with sleep mode than when it's turned off completely.

I was thinking the same as you, that it could be a faulty HDD, so I checked the health of the main drive (SSD) with CrystalDiskInfo and HD Tune. They both reported that the disk was completely healthy.

I will be sure to post if I figure out something more or if the problem goes away of its own accord.

Retired
Not applicable
HvitrEbrithil wrote:
I have the same model of computer, GL502VMZ, and have been having the exact same issue. I'm not entirely sure whether the issue was there when I first bought it in September, but as far as I can remember it's only recently I've noticed the issue.

I might be off, but I think it might have started around the time I installed GeForce Experience and new Nvidia drivers. But I am not sure.

I have not yet tried a full reset, without knowing the problem I expect it might reappear when I re-install everything, and nothing is gained.

I was wondering if you have found any answer to this issue? Or if anyone else has?

Ok so I sort of found a fix for it. I disabled windows 10 fast start up and now it's not freezing anymore. I don't know if you'll have the same results with this "fix" but it's worth a shot. Let me know if it does anything for you.

kpxmanifesto wrote:
Ok so I sort of found a fix for it. I disabled windows 10 fast start up and now it's not freezing anymore. I don't know if you'll have the same results with this "fix" but it's worth a shot. Let me know if it does anything for you.

Hm, I was not aware they had snuck in another optimization "feature"! I will experiment a little with the fast startup option and post here if I figure out if it's the culprit or not.

Thanks for det tip!

Hello

I also have a FX502VM (GL502VMZ) and... I have experienced the same problem.
It has followed some updates: new nvidia driver + update bios via Winflash (301). So I can't say what caused the "boot crash"
I tried to turn off fast boot in the bios but it did not solve the problem.
So i tried your solution (windows 10 fast start up) and indeed, it works.

I have something weird with my new bios: the date should be 06/22/2017, but it shows 03/29/2017 ??
If I launch winflash again, it even says that there is a new bios... but I can't instal it (it is also 301 but the date is different)
(see attachment)

my questions are:

- those who have the 301, what is the date shown in the bios ?
- May I instal the bios again through the bios with a usb flashdisk instead of winflash ?
- May I instal the 300 (downgrade) ?

Thanks
Vincent

HvitrEbrithil wrote:
Hm, I was not aware they had snuck in another optimization "feature"! I will experiment a little with the fast startup option and post here if I figure out if it's the culprit or not.

Thanks for det tip!

I am facing the exact same issue with mine. I have disabled both Fast startup and fastboot. I am facing the issue after only Hibernation and not with sleep or shut down. Has anyone found other solution to make hibernate work without freezing?

kpxmanifesto wrote:

Does that work for hibernation as well ? Sleep and shut down has no issues but i face the problem when I wake it up from Hibernation. please respond.

prathyand wrote:
Does that work for hibernation as well ? Sleep and shut down has no issues but i face the problem when I wake it up from Hibernation. please respond.

Hello
I just tried as my battery was empty... And indeed, I also have the same problem when waking up from hibernation.
Maybe I will try to reinstal bios one day, or wait for a new one.