cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VSK discharging below 95% while plugged in

bigoldbrat
Level 8
Just starting this thread to see if any other owners of the GL752VSK have the same issue. There has been an open thread for more than a year on the GL502 VS for this issue.

Thanks.

Some of my exchanges on that thread...

Quote Originally Posted by cl-Albert View Post
Hi,

Sorry to hear about the problems and that this couldn't be a little more straightforward.
I'm located at the ASUS U.S. office and unfortunately am not able to provide much assistance with customers located overseas other than advice or suggestions if requested.

If you haven't tried it already though, suggest contacting or working with your local ASUS support and maybe your store as well if we don't see any better suggestions from ASUS HQ reps.

Getting back to your question above though, there are at least 2 different versions of the GL502VS with different cpus.
There is the GL502VS using the 6th generation Intel 'Skylake' cpu as well as the GL502VS using 7th generation Intel "Kaby Lake' cpu which internally at ASUS is called the GL502VSK model rather than GL502VS, but externally for customers we just call them both GL502VS probably to keep things simpler since they are fairly similar.

This is important to you though because ASUS HQ currently only recognizes the battery drain issue for the GL502VS model with 6th gen. cpu and 180w power supply providing options to customers reporting this issue to their local ASUS support as in the sticky thread below.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?94349-Official-Reply-for-GL502VS-Battery-Discharging-Issue

The GL502VSK model that you have with Intel 7th gen. cpu is using a different motherboard (and bios) than our GL502VS model with 6th gen. cpu and the GL502VSK also comes with a 230W power supply rather than the 180W power supply included with the GL502VS model with 6th gen. cpu, but may not be recognized by HQ as having the same battery drain issue as the GL502VS 6th gen. model and probably will not have the same options from your local ASUS support although hopefully they can still help you provide some sort of resolution or continue to investigate the issue with you if you want to go this route.

Anyway, apologize for the long reply, but just want to make sure you do continue to work with your local ASUS support (and store?) instead of just waiting to get a solution through these ROG forums (which we hopefully will see, but not sure?).
I have been following this issue some, but not that closely, so your local ASUS support may also have or get some updated information that I'm not aware of.
Hope this helps some?

My response:
I have the GL752VSK model and I have the same issue. I have reported before, but obviously if those who have issues with the 502 cannot get any resolution in a year +, you will understand why I have given up on trying for myself. Occurs in some games, not all. Today I played Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Wilderness and was down to 74% charge after 3 hours. I also played COD WWII and Wolfenstein 2 with no loss in battery. High/optimized settings on all 3. Go figure.
My thought is that there are probably a lot of users with the issue on Asus models who have not noticed the issue.
My rig:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299
System Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model G752VSK
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7820HK CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2904 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. G752VSK.302, 4/27/2017
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 12.6 GB
Total Virtual Memory 34.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 31.2 GB
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 16G

Originally Posted by cl-Albert
Hi,

Thanks for the detailed problem description. It can really help when the problem is not very obvious or easy to catch.

Yes, not sure how much more effort you want to put into it, but the G752VSK is not officially known to have a battery drain issue on the ASUS side, so you probably would need to work with your local ASUS support to show them how to catch the issue which they could hopefully find a solution for once they do.
Expect you are using the original ASUS AC adapter, but something to check. If the notebook still sees the adapter plugged in when the draining occurs though, it doesn't sound like it would be related to the AC adapter.

I don't remember any other G752VSK customers reporting the same issue, but if you're interested, you may want to create a separate post about it so it doesn't get lost with these GL502VS cases. Since the G752VSK is a larger unit, most people may leave it plugged in most of the time or not be as concerned about the battery and using it on battery power?

Not sure if it could be a problem with just your one unit, but doesn't sound too easy to catch, so hard to say.
If you're under warranty and decided to send it back for repair though, might not be easy to get the technicians to spend 3 hours playing games to try to catch it, so if you find that it also occurs running some programs or benchmarks unattended, be sure to pass this along for repair to try.

Hi Albert and thank you for the reply. I may post a new thread out of curiosity. I always use the laptop plugged in with the original battery ADP-230EB T. I am under warranty but I have this unit running great with WIN 10 CU and have never had any issues with the latest GEForce game ready drivers (currently 388.31)...so this issue is not enough for me to start from scratch, it's an annoyance...
22 REPLIES 22

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi bigoldbrat,

Thanks for taking the time to create a separate post.

Wanted to re-confirm your notebook model though because GL752VSK isn't a valid ASUS model as far as I know although we have produced GL752VL and GL752VW models (our model names can be confusing honestly).
Since you mentioned you have the i7-7820HK cpu though, it sounds like you have the G752VS with 7th gen. cpu (G752VSK) if you can confirm your full G752VS-xxxx model name printed under the notebook next to your serial number.
I'll probably edit the title and move this thread to the 'G' series notebooks section once you confirm.

Also, just wanted to confirm you weren't using any third party utilities to overclock the cpu or gpu?

cl-Albert wrote:
Hi bigoldbrat,

Thanks for taking the time to create a separate post.

Wanted to re-confirm your notebook model though because GL752VSK isn't a valid ASUS model as far as I know although we have produced GL752VL and GL752VW models (our model names can be confusing honestly).
Since you mentioned you have the i7-7820HK cpu though, it sounds like you have the G752VS with 7th gen. cpu (G752VSK) if you can confirm your full G752VS-xxxx model name printed under the notebook next to your serial number.
I'll probably edit the title and move this thread to the 'G' series notebooks section once you confirm.

Also, just wanted to confirm you weren't using any third party utilities to overclock the cpu or gpu?

Hi, I don't know where I got the "L" from.
The model on the bottom is G752VS-XS74K, windows reports it as g752vsk.
I do not use any 3rd party utilities. This unit is overclocked by ASUS as purchased and in the ROG Gaming Center I have the option for Extreme or Standard (always on Extreme).
Sorry for the confusion.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi, okay, thanks for confirming anyway and maybe you were thinking about the GL502VS model.
Edited the title and moved the thread to the 'G' series notebooks.

bigoldbrat
Level 8
Guess I'm either the only one who owns this rig or the only one with the problem with this rig, or maybe both...

It's normal while gaming our using a lot of power that the notebook will use all the power from your Adapter and draw some power from your battery at times. Should only happen under heavy use High demand on your CPU and GPU
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
It's normal while gaming our using a lot of power that the notebook will use all the power from your Adapter and draw some power from your battery at times. Should only happen under heavy use High demand on your CPU and GPU

And it`s normal if this happened 1 time every 1 hour?
When you play 5 hours it`s discharg 5 times until 95% and after charging back to 100%

Damastif wrote:
And it`s normal if this happened 1 time every 1 hour?
When you play 5 hours it`s discharg 5 times until 95% and after charging back to 100%

So not all games but for example, 3 hours of Tom Clancy Ghost Wildlands apparently uses 100% of 230w ps and 28% of my battery (bat down to 72%) while plugged in. Not that I have any desire to do so , I could not play for 12 hours before this laptop goes dead while plugged in 🙂

bigoldbrat wrote:
So not all games but for example, 3 hours of Tom Clancy Ghost Wildlands apparently uses 100% of 230w ps and 28% of my battery (bat down to 72%) while plugged in. Not that I have any desire to do so , I could not play for 12 hours before this laptop goes dead while plugged in 🙂

Check in another game but in game options use full screen mode! I think it`s shows this issues in another games too...

gordonash
Level 9
I can confirm this happens to my G751JT too. I sometimes find it at 95% even tho is always plugged in.