cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Addressable LEDs ?

KriegerKarl
Level 7
Hey, i'm currently planning my new PC, and of course it's 2017, so RGBify all the things !

If i understand it correctly, i can use any WS1812B LEDs, the 3A are easy to avoid by soldering a custom +5v/ground cable for my modular PSU, but i read somewhere that Aura currently only supports 60 LEDs... is that true ? And if thats the case, is someone here already working on that problem ?
And the other thing is, with a PSU cable it's easy to power a few meters of strip, but thats pretty useless if i can only apply a single effect on the whole strip.
Wouldn't it be cool to split up the strip in different zones with different effects ?
Is there a way to implement something like that trough the SDK ?
7 REPLIES 7

PsY4Meuh
Level 7
Hey AMKriegerKarl,

AkaNe@Asus will confirm this, but actually, the AURA software allows only 60 LEDs, and the SDK don't allow access to addressable strip at all.

Here are the tests i made with a 1m 144 leds addressable strip in the AURA Software :
- We can't enter more than 60 leds in the 'settings' tab
- 'Static', 'Breathing' and 'Color cycle' effects lights up 120 leds
- All other effects lights up only 60 leds

PsY4Meuh wrote:
Hey AMKriegerKarl,

AkaNe@Asus will confirm this, but actually, the AURA software allows only 60 LEDs, and the SDK don't allow access to addressable strip at all.

Oh... hm. Well, that's a bummer. Is it just not implemented yet, or will addressable LEDs always be a thing that users can't modify ?

PsY4Meuh wrote:
Hey AMKriegerKarl,

Here are the tests i made with a 1m 144 leds addressable strip in the AURA Software :
- We can't enter more than 60 leds in the 'settings' tab
- 'Static', 'Breathing' and 'Color cycle' effects lights up 120 leds

From now in the AURA software, only up to 60 LEDs can be controlled. I already added a request to see if we can get this limitation removed.

I understand more and more people are using longer cable strips with more addressable LED.
And don't forget, Keep pushing it !

AkaNe@Asus wrote:
From now in the AURA software, only up to 60 LEDs can be controlled. I already added a request to see if we can get this limitation removed.

I understand more and more people are using longer cable strips with more addressable LED.

And SDK support + maybe the option to split a strip into differnet zones ?

KriegerKarl wrote:
And SDK support + maybe the option to split a strip into differnet zones ?
You can tweak this via lastprofile.Xml.
Check a tag with led counts and change it. I highly suggest not to go crazy (120 should be fine).
Then stop and restart lightingservice.

I didn't try this myself as i don't have an adressable headers mobo but i read this on nzxt subreddit where a guy could make nzxt aer fan work with Aura and also tweaked the number of leds on its strips.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

namoi wrote:
You can tweak this via lastprofile.Xml.
Check a tag with led counts and change it. I highly suggest not to go crazy (120 should be fine).
Then stop and restart lightingservice.

I didn't try this myself as i don't have an adressable headers mobo but i read this on nzxt subreddit where a guy could make nzxt aer fan work with Aura and also tweaked the number of leds on its strips.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Oh wow, that sounds awesome !
I'll try to find that original post. Thx for the hint.

fyi, this guy posted an awesome video on youtube on how to use up to 128 LEDs, power them directly from the PSU, and how to connect them in parallel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub-EWTsMPkg