cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering data from hdd ii using hdd i g75vx

dxVxb
Level 7
Hi all,
so as the title states I recently dropped my g75vx (for the millionth time) and the hd got all funky. after attempting to start up the laptop again the system kept going into "recovery assesment" mode and would never get past it, I got the HDD assessed by a professional company and they said its a software issue but are charging like $500+ to recover the data, for something im sure I can do with a little elbow grease (im modestly tech savvy). all that being said, heres my Q

1: i bought a new hdd, exact same in all specs except buffer size (upgrade to 128 from 8).
2: after setting up my new hdd as primary, can i connect my old hdd to the second slot in my g75vx and use some software to recover data from old HDD and transfer to new HDD?
3: any other tips.

I was about to buy a sata to usb converter and a external power supply, but then decided to try this first before going there.

that aside, any other personal experiences or tips in similar situations would be MUCH appreciated!

thanks all!
1 REPLY 1

haihane
Level 13
if i were you, i'd make sure i could access the data on the faulty HDD first.

if i can access the data, and if sector by sector copy isn't possible, i'll start saving anything i can't make do without.

then just clean install on the new HDD.

now to really answer your question:
2a. yeah, you should be able to. if you couldn't, use a desktop pc to perform the data recovery. (get converter dongle)
3a. do it, and try to fix problems that may come along the way.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.