cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALERT = AMD threadripper and ryzen true ram

ramin_rostami
Level 7
boys
just use 2 ram real dual channel (2 in a box) in ryzen and never never use 1 single ram
in threadripper use real quadchannel (4ram in 1 box) never never use 4* dual ram on it
(inside diffrent channel ram , pcb , hardware not same , 2*single not dual channel or 4*dual not quad)
all amd (except threadripper) nead dual channel like fx8350 , phenom,athlon,ryzen

if you use dualchannel ram in threadripper(or single in ryzen) system cant start or will give tiny freeze

example for ryzen =gskill RGB tridentz 3200 2*8
example for threadripper=gskill ripjaws4 2800 4*4
5 REPLIES 5

Ljugtomten
Level 9
Are you at it again with this misinformation?

There is nothing wrong with installing IE 2 kits that are in a package of two sticks each, as long as they are not to different (buy them at the same time, and they are likely from the same batch).

Why do I know this? Because I have been using two kits of Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 @3066MHz from the day this motherboard was available in stores.

so whats "True Ram" please explain ?

Ljugtomten wrote:
Are you at it again with this misinformation?

There is nothing wrong with installing IE 2 kits that are in a package of two sticks each, as long as they are not to different (buy them at the same time, and they are likely from the same batch).

Why do I know this? Because I have been using two kits of Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 @3066MHz from the day this motherboard was available in stores.

It's not recommended nor explicitly supported. If it works, great, but results are mixed and some people may not be as lucky as you.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
It's not recommended nor explicitly supported.

True.

xeromist wrote:
If it works, great, but results are mixed and some people may not be as lucky as you.

When done correctly the success rate is extremely high, which far outweighs the risk.

caknuckles wrote:
True.

When done correctly the success rate is extremely high, which far outweighs the risk.

Not sure about the extremely high part as I've never seen solid statistics on high end PCs running mixed kits, only anecdotes. But, FWIW, we do get a lot of people posting on this forum with memory issues and a lot of them mixed kits. Most say they ordered the kits at the same time but few have been able to confirm if they were the same batch. Now, whether their issues stemmed from the mixed kits or other issues such as a weak IMC or unrealistic expectations likely varies. Still, with a new platform I'd recommend sticking to the QVL in order to mitigate memory choices as a source of issues.

At a minimum, nobody should mix kits that isn't at least willing to manually tune if necessary.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…