cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX problems.. Exploxer crashing

GreenComedian
Level 7
Hi everybody!

I have a G74SX laptop thats about a month old. And for about an hour ago I uninstalled a couples of programs I didnt think was neccesary. Things like the games that come with the computer and bing bar for Internet. But then I clicked on the THX tru studio by mistake and the uninstallation program started. I just pressed cancel and all of a sudden my explorer crashed and started working again but a milisecond later it crashed again and it kept doing that for a couple of min untill it just stopped. The thing is now it ocasionally starts to crash and does the thing all over again for a couple of min and the function button a think its called in the down/left corner isnt working so I cant shut down the touchpad or turn up the volume etc using my keyboard anymore 😕 I don't think i uninstalled some program that had anything to do with it but I've restarted the computer and the same problem occurs again 😕 I've been having problem with the explorer crashing sometimes but not like this and I've read that I'm not the only one with the occasional explorer crash but I haven't found anyone with this problem.. so I have no idea of what to do and i haven't got any recovery discs because i didnt have any cds at the time and I sorta forgot... So please does anyone know what the problem is or what program I might have uninstalled 😕 any help would be appreacieted. And for some odd reason i cant start Google chrome normally by dubbelclicking I have to go to the start buttn and there choose a website on the most visited list in chrome...

And I apologize if my grammar/language/spelling etc is a bit off... I'm from sweden 😛
9 REPLIES 9

dstrakele
Level 14
Use Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time before you experienced the Windows Explorer crashes. If this fails, you can still perform an ASUS Factory Restore by hitting F9 at the ASUS splash screen on startup. It will use the files on the hidden ASUS partition - same as the Recovery DVD's you can make with ASUS Ai Recovery, but the restore from the HDD is much faster. See http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/150364-help-restoring-factory-settings.html for more details.

You can also decide at this time if you wish to perform a clean Windows 7 installation. You can download the Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit w/SP1 ISO file from a link in the OP of the "Drivers. Apps, and How-to's" thread and burn it to a DVD to use for the install. Then you can install the updated drivers needed for your hardware (links for the drivers are also in that OP). The difference being no ASUS applications are installed as in the ASUS Factory Restore.

If you choose the Windows clean install, I recommend using the ABR utility from a flash drive to backup your current Windows Activation info, then after you've had time to install the latest Windows Updates and confirm everything works as it should, you can then restore your original Activation info from the flash drive. Alternatively, there is an OEM license key you can use on a tag on the bottom of your laptop.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Holy
Level 7
your English is just fine didn't even notice the difference.
(Edit:did not see some one posted solution already)
G75vw DS71
3610QM I7
16GB Ram 1600mhz
750GB+120GB(patriot pyro)
Nvidia gtx 660m
Purple Keyboard mod
Proud Owner of a GTX 660ti DC-II

Omg thank you both for the quick and very helpful response! I will try it when I get home because now I have to go to school 😛 Thanks again and I will post my results immediately after I've done the restore 🙂

Holy
Level 7
alright good luck=)
G75vw DS71
3610QM I7
16GB Ram 1600mhz
750GB+120GB(patriot pyro)
Nvidia gtx 660m
Purple Keyboard mod
Proud Owner of a GTX 660ti DC-II

I had the same problem with my G74s (but this problem is with many ASUS computers).

The computer was new from the store and as soon as I started it explorer crashed several times.

But then i uninstalled ASUS WebStorage software and I dont have the problem anymore.

Cat
Level 9
Yes, I had the same problem. ASUS' cloud service likes to crash explorer. Uninstalling ASUS WebStorage should fix it. As if you needed it in the first place...

Thank you all for the help!

I did what you said dstrakele and restored my system to a time before the crashes and voila! It works like a charm again and I uninstalled ASUS Webstorage just in case 😛 Thanks again for all the help guys you've really saved my life 😄

dstrakele
Level 14
Glad to hear it, @GreenComedian! I recommend you search for threads on performing a clean install of Windows 7 and read up on them. You may wish to try it in the future. You'll find this is a good place to learn about your laptop - I know I've learned lots...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Thanks for the advice!

And if I ever have any problems or questions this is the first place I will come! Thanks again, this forum is wonderful 🙂