cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702ZC laptop fans running on 100% inside BIOS/UEFI and in Windows

deksman2
Level 8
I was playing mass effect Andromeda and suddenly, my fans kicked to 100% for unexplained reason. Temperatures were nominal, so was gaming.
The laptops fans just started working on max without explanation.
I shut down the game and waited to see if the fan speed will drop... It didn't.

Restarted into bios/uefi... And fans are still running at 100% there.

Several windows install package services also stopped running as I couldn't remove asus rog gaming center or ryzen master... Kept getting an "error error 1720. There is a problem with this windows installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Custom action remove AMDRMservice script error - 2146828218."

I tried installing latest chipset drivers, etc, no change.

I also just reset windows completely. No change. Laptop fans are at 100% inside and outside windows (bios/uefi - they are running at over 6650 rpm and not powering down... The CPU and gpu are dow below 30 degrees Celsius and still the fans are running at 100% inside bios/uefi)

What the heck is causing this?
Could gaming have caused the thermal paste to dissolve or something?

Earlier today we had a small power surge from a toaster which forced the main electricity switch (which operates the mains) to shut down. But this fan issue didn't start until about 6 hours later and prior to that (but after the surge), fans were running fine by adjusting themselves to the load.

Any ideas?
This seems to go beyond Windows going corrupt.
I could try to install a previous bios/uefi version and see if that changes anything... But maybe I should contact asus technical support first

I already tried resetting bios/uefi to the default and no success.
I shut down the laptop for the night and went to sleep. I'm just up and will try activating it to see if the fans decided to calm down, if not, I'll need to call Asus.

As for installing the older bios/uefi version, i forgot about the fact that Asus never put up the older version on the website. Only the new one.

UPDATE1:
Sigh... just turned the laptop on after hours of it being shut down (I've been sleeping) and disconnected from the mains.
No change... fans went up to 100% as soon as it powered up (and yes, this is also inside BIOS/UEFI).

I honestly don't see how this kind of hardware problem could have been caused by Windows - unless chipset drivers became corrupted somehow, but would that really cause the fans to spin at 100% in BIOS/UEFI?

Btw, resetting the Windows got rid of that annoying MSI installer error. I can now easily remove AMD and Asus programs, but the fans being on 100% from boot (and in BIOS) is a continuous issue.

I could try another clean install and see if that would change anything, but I sincerely doubt that.

ROG Gaming center reports CPU and GPU info normally, but the fan boost is only showing 'MAX' without displaying any RPM values.
Changing the fan slider doesn't affect the fan

And of course, Asus customer service is not responding as all their lines are busy it would seem (go figure), so I sent off a support ticket with this issue to Asus due to the inability to contact them over the phone.

I tried using the laptop connected and disconnected from the mains... no change in fan behavior... still running at 100% all the time, inside or outside of Windows.
16 REPLIES 16

FastM
Level 8
As you figured out the problem exists outside the windows environment so its definitely something with the hardware/bios.

All I can think of is you trying to update/re-flashing the BIOS. However, I should mention that if there is some problem with the BIOS chip, corrupt or whatever trying to re-flash it could make it worse and brick the machine (worst case scenario..).

**just noticed you already looked for a new BIOS.. hmmm this is definitely something you need help from Asus with"

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL702ZC/HelpDesk_BIOS/

They do have a file for download, you have to figure out how to force-reflash that same version.

Yeah.
Force re-flash the BIOS sounds like a potential option... problem is, I have no idea how to force the program to install the same version... and as you say, it could make matters worse if the BIOS somehow became corrupted (though at this point, it seems more likely that either the thermal paste dissolved, or the hardware which adjusts the fans automatically according to the load has been damaged due to heat emissions - in which case, it could be considered a design flaw and Asus would need to rethink the cooling on this machine while repairing it to make it more effective and prevent such problems in the future).

I spoke to Asus Customer Service today and they suggested I RMA the laptop directly to them for repairs and that I should make a note for them detailing the issue.

StarJack
Level 11
Long shot, but I wonder if Notebook Fan Control could slow down the fans. You could try selecting the GL702VM profile within the app. Worth a shot, maybe.

https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc/releases

StarJack wrote:
Long shot, but I wonder if Notebook Fan Control could slow down the fans. You could try selecting the GL702VM profile within the app. Worth a shot, maybe.

https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc/releases

Not the same system.
GL702ZC has desktop Ryzen 1700 and RX 580 in it... it's all AMD...
The GL702VM is Intel+Nvidia.
Not sure it's a smart idea to try it.

EDIT: Tried it for the kicks, but the program stopped displaying anything when I was inside it and just decided to continuously stop and run it's service.
Not gonna try that again.

deksman2 wrote:
Not the same system.
GL702ZC has desktop Ryzen 1700 and RX 580 in it... it's all AMD...
The GL702VM is Intel+Nvidia.
Not sure it's a smart idea to try it.

EDIT: Tried it for the kicks, but the program stopped displaying anything when I was inside it and just decided to continuously stop and run it's service.
Not gonna try that again.

Sorry you had no luck, it was the longest of shots. I hope you find a fix soon or someone with more knowledge chimes in.

StarJack

StarJack wrote:
Sorry you had no luck, it was the longest of shots. I hope you find a fix soon or someone with more knowledge chimes in.

StarJack

I already arranged with Asus to RMA the unit for repairs.
I detailed the issues I have with the fans running at 100% suddenly from bootup, in bios, Windows (outside of windows), with broken pre-installed Windows preventing programs and games from generating saves.
The thing I hate about this situation is that it will take a while before I get the laptop back... but instead of requesting a replacement or a refund (which is still an option if the repairs take too long or don't work), I want Asus to examine the cooling on this laptop to make sure they didn't create a massive design flaw.
The temperatures might be fine during gaming, etc... but I'm worried that the generated heat might have damaged the hardware that controls the fans (in which case, the problem could happen again unless they redesign the cooling).

deksman2 wrote:
I already arranged with Asus to RMA the unit for repairs.

A similar problem, the laptop version for German use, seems like a mass broken ...
Have you been repaired?

niksan29 wrote:
A similar problem, the laptop version for German use, seems like a mass broken ...
Have you been repaired?

Yes, I RMA-d the unit and the motherboard was replaced (though Asus couldn't tell me what caused the issue).
I probably should have asked for a replacement GL702ZC as then I might have gotten a better silicon inside the CPU and GPU...
But, no worries.
The system is running great now, and I undervolted the CPU and GPU.
CPU was undervolted to 1.05V and set to 3.3 GhZ using Ryzen Master.
GPU was undervolted using MSI Afterburner to -93mV on the core.

Temperatures dropped by roughly 10 degrees Celsius on CPU and 10 degrees Celsius on GPU.
Fans run much quieter now during gaming.

OK, thank you for the information!
For my laptop Asus also decided to replace the motherboard...