cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G703VI Realtek Audio stuttering !

Svan
Level 9
Hi,

I bought a G703VI and reinstalled fully Windows 10 Home 1709. Installed Realtek Audio Drivers 6.0.1.8224 from asus support website.
Videos on Firefox, Discord and game The Division got a lot of audio stuttering. I tried a lot of different settings (audio quality etc..) and it doesn't help at all.

I uninstalled Asus Realtek driver and installed official Realtek driver R2.82 it's a bit better but it's only drivers only (no extra settings panel). You plug headphones and sound going out from laptop speakers. Factory audio drivers are the same version than on asus website.

Please asus fix your Realtek drivers and don't release new hardware without testing it !
8 REPLIES 8

Svan
Level 9
Uninstall of "Rog Gaming Center" fixed games sound stuttering at least but not VOIP micro and sound :mad:

MrRuckus
Level 10
Rog Gaming Center is neat with all the monitoring gadgets in one place, but its really a let down. Sad that a program that has a dedicated button on the laptop is so flawed. Previous iterations were the same. A lot of the time the recommendation was to just uninstall them or not use them. On a laptop that costs over $3k, that shouldnt be the case..

I will say I have not experienced any stuttering yet with sound. But have noticed some other issues which may play a role in the problem?

Svan, you may want to run Intel XTU, and run the benchmark. Im currently getting "Thermal Throttling" when running the benchmark on the default extreme profile which overclocks to 4.3Ghz which this laptop is supposed to be able to do without issue (its advertised as such). This is causing gaming benchmarks to be lower then expected. I have a feeling that could be the cause of your stuttering. My laptop out of the box was already on the extreme setting. If it defaults to that and throttling occurs, the throttling could cause the stuttering. Im going to look into throttlestop today and see if I can get the CPU to not throttle. With the touted beefy cooling in this laptop, it should not be throttling with stock overclock values.

I know its throttling in games/benchmarks because I score well below my friends desktop 1080, and his GPU clocks are actually lower then the 1080 in this laptop. According to all the specs, these are full fledged 1080's in these laptops and not maxq or mobile variants, so I should be scoring very close to a desktop 1080. I believe throttling on the CPU side is currently hindering that.

EDIT: Also Svan, could you possibly post a screenshot of your CPU-Z? I would like to see what speed the laptop is running at without Rog Gaming Center installed. Hopefully we can fix these issues.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

Hi Mr Ruckus,

First thanx for the post feel less alone 😄

Screenshot from cpu-z and xtu last versions with only "Power Limit Throttling" going to yellow color during benchmark. I have nothing extra installed actually. Can you tell me if you got stuttering sounds in games and voip too and the exact factory build of windows 10 ? (Mine was build 1703 if I remember well)

I thought was Asus Game Center who mess up Micro and stuttering sounds but finally it's not. Still get a lot of stuttering on discord !
I ordered today a USB Sound Blaster Play! 3 (will give feeback on it too). Hope we can find the cause of audio stuttering.
(At least uninstall of "Rog Gaming Center" fixed games sound stuttering)

Cheers.

New picture with "Power Limit Throttling" in yellow :

Svan
Level 9
I did a fresh new install with Windows 10 Creator Update Version 15063.250 who was the version delivered with the computer.

I used ThrottleStop 8.50 and just disabled Turbo and playback sound stuttering 100% fixed. Turbo boost is messing up sound.
Switching audio playback to 16 bits 48000 Hz seems to fix stuttering too.
(Audio playback tested on firefox 57 on earbits website)

If someone know how to fix that problem without using factory clock will be great need help.

Thanx in advance

Svan wrote:
I did a fresh new install with Windows 10 Creator Update Version 15063.250 who was the version delivered with the computer.

I used ThrottleStop 8.50 and just disabled Turbo and playback sound stuttering 100% fixed. Turbo boost is messing up sound.
Switching audio playback to 16 bits 48000 Hz seems to fix stuttering too.
(Audio playback tested on firefox 57 on earbits website)

If someone know how to fix that problem without using factory clock will be great need help.

Thanx in advance

Hey Svan, Im not seeing stuttering yet in the sound. I think this laptop is pretty much being pushed to its limits with the ROG Gaming Center (RGC) on the extreme setting. I tried uninstalling RGC and going at it myself, with Intel XTU, NvidiaInspector, MSI Afterburner, Asus GPU Tweak II, using these various programs, I was not able to duplicate the clocks RGC gets. The GPU it seems is heavily dependent on temps. No matter the overclock you set manually, the dynamic clock will bump down once it hits a temp threshold. Some benchmarks run the GPU core at 1911-1925Mhz, while 3DMark shows 1962Mhz, it just varies depending on temps.

The only change I have been able to achieve, is undervolting the CPU, which gives more headroom to the GPU = higher sustained GPU clocks. Currently I am at the extreme setting in RGC (CPU @ 4.3Ghz), and CPU is undervolted by -0.065v. I tried -0.080v and the laptop locked, so I gave myself a little breathing room.

I was able to beat my friends score in the Superposition Benchmark with his Vanilla Desktop GTX 1080. Im happy with that. As long as I can reach the same scores as a Vanilla desktop 1080, Im good with that.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

double post

Svan
Level 9
Mr Ruckus,

Thanx for your reply in private and here 😉

I fixed all my sounds troubles with the USB Sound Blaster Play! 3. This product is wonderfull and very cheap. I am on 24 bits 48000 Hz on speakers and micro. No stuttering at all in games and firefox audio video or music. I just left Realtek driver installed and desactivated "Realtek High Definition Audio" speaker and micro in audio panel settings.

I read someone telling that throttling on gamers notebooks can be a part of thermal security so I will not touch anything about processor. I will reinstall ROG Gaming Center later for testing.

I saved "eSupport" directory but thanx for your help.

Cheers.

Svan
Level 9
double post