cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to Finally Get a Gaming Keyboard

YoungnDumb
Level 7
I don't know if this is the right sub forum for this, let me know if I should move it.

Now that I am finally settling down a little bit I thought that I should get myself a proper gaming set up. I currently have a G75V laptop that I bought a couple years ago and it works great, plus a Steelseries Sensei Raw that does what I need to do (not much for MMO or real RPG so I don't need a super intensive mouse) but now I want to get myself a nice gaming keyboard. I have a hook my laptop up to my TV in the bedroom so that I can play on the big screen and wanted to have my mouse and keyboard back at the sofa where I would normally sit while using the TV so the built in keyboard; while being amazing; is not going to help with that. I don't want to spend a ludicrous amount as I mentioned before having tons of macros is not important to me, but I do like having a slick looking keyboard and I have grown quite fond of the lights on my laptop keys. I was told to avoid Razer as they are 'overpriced pieces of plastic' according to a friend so I am looking at other companies. Steelseries is on my short list as it would go with my mouse quite well but there keyboards seem...lacking.

What other brands could you guys recommend? I normally play Stardew Valley and Fallout 4, and have started playing some FPS games like Insurgency and CSGO now that I have a good connection. Oh, another thing I just thought of (as typing this on my laptop keyboard) is that I quite like the sound of a mechanical keyboard click clacking away. Any thoughts or recommendations about what brands/keyboards I should be looking into would be very appreciated 🙂

I have been going over and over some keyboards that I found online and in shop to see what ones fit my budget and my needs/desires and it is quite tiresome to be honest. I really want to get the perfect gaming keyboard for me. I don't really know how long it will take me to find it since I am fairly picky at times so I thought I would look at a cheap alternative in the meantime. I know everyone thinks they are garbage, but I did manage to find a Razer Deathstalker that was in good condition and really, really cheap. Like, barely even had to make a decision about it cheap. Someone was selling it on http://www.for-sale.co.uk/razer-deathstalker as they wanted to switch to a different set up but that just meant I got a great deal. Going to keep on the lookout for my ultimate gaming keyboard still!
7 REPLIES 7

MikeAdu
Level 9
Hi!
I can tell you about my keyboard Logitech G19S.Previously I had G15 and this keyboard was great because of small display on it,where I could monitor many things,like OC parameters,etc.With my G19S I can monitor even more things because of bigger screen.And I don’t use macros at all.But this keyboard mostly suits to stationary PC as I think(because of external power supply).Maybe you could take a look on this keyboard in local shops or read some reviews?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeAdu wrote:
Hi!
I can tell you about my keyboard Logitech G19S.Previously I had G15 and this keyboard was great because of small display on it,where I could monitor many things,like OC parameters,etc.With my G19S I can monitor even more things because of bigger screen.And I don’t use macros at all.But this keyboard mostly suits to stationary PC as I think(because of external power supply).Maybe you could take a look on this keyboard in local shops or read some reviews?

That sounds like a keyboard I would love. I am going to take a look at some reviews online and see how compatible it is with a laptop as you mentioned the external power supply but from a quick Google it sounds like a pretty amazing keyboard. How are the keys on it?

MikeAdu
Level 9
This keyboard do not have mechanical keys.It is membrane type keyboard,but still good and quiet.Still if you need mechanical only,take a look at other keyboards of G series(mechanical starts from G413 and up).I took this G19S mostly because of display.If you don’t need it take a look at other G keyboards.

bobbagels
Level 7
Hello hello,
I have the G19-S as well. I'm typing on it right now. For me I think its a good keyboard, and I think the screen is very useful. I use it to monitor my temps and CPU usage & load (core by core ). And it can be used for many other things as well (witch I never seem to do) . I think the key response is just fine.
I also have the G-510 and G-15. All have screens. The G19-S is the largest screen.

I do believe Logitech has discontinued this keyboard. As a matter of fact I think they have discontinued all keyboards containing any type of screen now. Which saddens me.
Actually, if you do a search for the G19-S and look for availability you will see it is available by certain sellers on Ebay and a few other spots. All for $300.00 or better. Which I personally find over priced & crazy . I guess because these keyboards with screens are becoming difficult to find now.

Anyway, I am presently looking at this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5IISXY/?tag=pcpapi-20
and this
https://www.asus.com/us/Keyboards-Mice/ROG-Claymore-Core/

JustinThyme
Level 13
Best advice I can offer here is find a superstore that has the hardware and go try them out for feel. In the end its all about personal taste in the feedback of the keyboard. Some like the membrane type with little to no feedback, some like a little pressure and a soft click and other like a lot of pressure and a loud click. Keyboards are simple devices, nothing speed related to contemplate, only the feel which only you can discern which best suits you.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Korth
Level 14
Choose wired or wireless.
If wired, choose USB or PS/2. (Note that PS/2 offers no real advantage anymore, now that full NKRO emulation on USB is available, unless you need a PS/2 keyboard for legacy motherboards and legacy BIOS.)
If USB, then USB2 (even USB1.x) is good enough, unless the keyboard has embedded USB3 hub/ports.

Choose keyswitches. Cherry MX mechanicals are widely acclaimed as the "best". Some people prefer ALPS, Topre, or one of the growing variety of Cherry clones/variants (Kailh, Razer, Romer-G, QS1, Novatouch, etc). Specific switch type really only matters if you're a typing elitist, although some Cherry flavours are better than others for keyboard-mash gaming, and some Cherry flavours are louder or quieter (some typists like audio feedback on keypresses, most people around typists don't).
You'll encounter many references online which condemn non-mechanical keyswitches. I do agree that "membrane" switches are simply awful, they feel "mushy" to me. I disagree with the consensus of "rubber polydome" switches always falling into this category - there's different types - I find that many do indeed feel unpleasant to type on, but many actually feel very crisp and pleasant, in rare instances good domes actually feel better than bad mechanicals.

A secondary aspect to keyswitches is keycaps. They're often interchangeable, and you can customize your keycaps countless ways. Usually (though not always) a keyboard with standard Cherry MX switches will also use standard Cherry MX caps. Much less of an option with keyboards using "nonstandard" switches.

Backlighting is great for dimly lit conditions. Easier to use the keyboard in the dark. RGB rainbows are just aesthetic.

The usual bunch of multimedia keys are always useful. Headphone/mic audio jacks (and USB ports) on the keyboard are awesomely convenient.

Programmable macro keys are useful if you use them. Some games, productivity apps, and code/dev environments make excellent use of these timesavers. On the flipside, having too many keys can become a bit of a nuisance.

"Tenkeyless" and other form factors which chop off the Numpad and shrink keyboard dimensions are loved by some, especially those with Hipster style preferences or limited desk space. I personally don't see the appeal, they're too truncated for me to find them at all functional.

Built-in display screens (or docking ports to let your smartphone function as one) are a gimmick. I've actually tried to *make* these things useful but in the end I've found they just never are. Maybe more useful for people who don't run multi-monitor setups, lol.

People unfamiliar with keyboard switches/etc can learn a lot about their personal preferences by simply going to any store which has a bunch of keyboards on display and spending a couple of minutes typing/playing on each one.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Choose wired or wireless.
If wired, choose USB or PS/2. (Note that PS/2 offers no real advantage anymore, now that full NKRO emulation on USB is available, unless you need a PS/2 keyboard for legacy motherboards and legacy BIOS.)
If USB, then USB2 (even USB1.x) is good enough, unless the keyboard has embedded USB3 hub/ports.

Choose keyswitches. Cherry MX mechanicals are widely acclaimed as the "best". Some people prefer ALPS, Topre, or one of the growing variety of Cherry clones/variants (Kailh, Razer, Romer-G, QS1, Novatouch, etc). Specific switch type really only matters if you're a typing elitist, although some Cherry flavours are better than others for keyboard-mash gaming, and some Cherry flavours are louder or quieter (some typists like audio feedback on keypresses, most people around typists don't).
You'll encounter many references online which condemn non-mechanical keyswitches. I do agree that "membrane" switches are simply awful, they feel "mushy" to me. I disagree with the consensus of "rubber polydome" switches always falling into this category - there's different types - I find that many do indeed feel unpleasant to type on, but many actually feel very crisp and pleasant, in rare instances good domes actually feel better than bad mechanicals.

A secondary aspect to keyswitches is keycaps. They're often interchangeable, and you can customize your keycaps countless ways. Usually (though not always) a keyboard with standard Cherry MX switches will also use standard Cherry MX caps. Much less of an option with keyboards using "nonstandard" switches.

Backlighting is great for dimly lit conditions. Easier to use the keyboard in the dark. RGB rainbows are just aesthetic.

The usual bunch of multimedia keys are always useful. Headphone/mic audio jacks (and USB ports) on the keyboard are awesomely convenient.

Programmable macro keys are useful if you use them. Some games, productivity apps, and code/dev environments make excellent use of these timesavers. On the flipside, having too many keys can become a bit of a nuisance.

"Tenkeyless" and other form factors which chop off the Numpad and shrink keyboard dimensions are loved by some, especially those with Hipster style preferences or limited desk space. I personally don't see the appeal, they're too truncated for me to find them at all functional.

Built-in display screens (or docking ports to let your smartphone function as one) are a gimmick. I've actually tried to *make* these things useful but in the end I've found they just never are. Maybe more useful for people who don't run multi-monitor setups, lol.

People unfamiliar with keyboard switches/etc can learn a lot about their personal preferences by simply going to any store which has a bunch of keyboards on display and spending a couple of minutes typing/playing on each one.

Wow, thanks for this great response. I know that I want it to be wired via USB as my laptop had no PS2 on it and I hate the lag from wireless even if it is a fraction of a second. I would definitely want to go with mechanical as I am getting to be a typing elitist (never thought I would be). Keycaps is something I will need to look into more, doing a quick search online I still don't quite get the differences but like you said going to a shop to have a look would be a good idea. I love having a numpad, so Tenkeyless will not work for me lol. The built in display seems like it could be a good idea, I don't plan on using multiple monitors and I thin that it would help me optimize my emulators as well. Backlighting is also a must as I like have a dimly lit room for the most part when I am on my computer.

I think this will definitely help me narrow down my search, thanks!