Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Lightbulb Asus maximus x apex gskill ram compatibility issue (qvl)

Hello,

I have installed my rig yesterday and noticed that GSKILL F4-3866C18D-32GTZR (DDR4-3866 - 2 x 16gb) kit is incompatible with the board. The RAM kit is in the board's QVL document however sometimes the computer doesn't boot and shows error 55 at Qcode. In order to fix the issue you have to switch off/on the PC. The problem occurs only when I select Auto or Mode 2 option at Maximus Tweak. There is no issue with Mode 1 however I get 8%-12% less performance from RAM.

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3866c18d-32gtzr

Please advise.

Thanks.

ROG Member Array

Update - Mode 1 has the same issue.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TorwaK View Post
    Update - Mode 1 has the same issue.
    Try Tweak Mode 1 once again, but increase VCCSA and IO manually to around 1.2v-1.25v

Tweak mode 1 has relaxed memory rules, which is why you're able to pass POST stress tests easier.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post
    Try Tweak Mode 1 once again, but increase VCCSA and IO manually to around 1.2v-1.25v

Tweak mode 1 has relaxed memory rules, which is why you're able to pass POST stress tests easier.
    I set VCCSA and VCCIO voltages manually. When the system boots up normally it set these voltages around 1.3V automatically. So I manually entered them however it didn't work.

I ran the PC at 5.3Ghz and completed Prime95 (4 hours) and RealBench (2 hours). It's absolutely rock solid. However this cold boot problem due RAM is annoying.

I set VCCSA and VCCIO voltages manually. When the system boots up normally it set these voltages around 1.3V automatically. So I manually entered them however it didn't work.

I ran the PC at 5.3Ghz and completed Prime95 (4 hours) and RealBench (2 hours). It's absolutely rock solid. However this cold boot problem due RAM is annoying.
    It's because the memory isn't stable enough to pass POST stress tests 100% of the time. 1.3v is potentially too much, some CPU will be more comfortable with less than that. You'll need to tune the system accordingly. More voltage to these rails can be just as damning as too little. You can also set a higher DRAM voltage.

Failing any headway there, you'll have to relax some of the sub timings further. The fact the system posts most of the time in Tweak Mode 1 suggests you're not far from being stable.
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ASUS; 11-22-2017 at 09:15 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array morph. PC Specs
    morph. PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)MacBook Pro 13" i5, Surface Pro m3-7Y30
    MotherboardROG Strix Z370-G
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-8700K @4.9Ghz
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL 32GB (16X2) 3466MHZ 16-18-18-38-2N TZ RGB
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix GTX1080oc
    MonitorROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X62 AIO
    CasePhantek Enthoo Evolv mATX TG Grey
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 860i
    Keyboard Logitech G18
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Centurion 7.1
    Mouse Pad ROG Sheath
    OS Windows 10 x64 Pro
    Network RouterBillion BiPAC 8800AXL

Is there an equivalent setting for strix boards regarding mode 1?

Shouldn't setting the board to XMP profile also adjust this as it seems like a handful of people are having post issues with ram these days.

I can also confirm IO/SA voltages on auto for my ram:
    Gskill F4-3466C16D-32GTZR
    VCCSA: 1.272v (auto)
    VCCIO: 1.312v (auto)

Had trouble posting it too and even loosened the timing to no luck.
    What worked since was just dropping the clock speed to 3333mhz, not ideal but at least the comptuer can post/boot and is useable.
    Last edited by morph.; 11-22-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Super Moderator Array

hi you can workaround this inconsistent booting by going into dram timing, set mrc fast boot to enabled.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Shamino View Post
    hi you can workaround this inconsistent booting by going into dram timing, set mrc fast boot to enabled.
    Dude you are just awesome. It's fixed.

Many thanks to everyone for their comments.

Dude you are just awesome. It's fixed.

Many thanks to everyone for their comments.

FYI this option disables memory training, so best to check the memory stability with HCI Memtest to check for errors within the OS. Setting MRC fastboot works for some and not others, but if you're still getting memory errors in HCI, it's more of a band aid.
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ASUS; 11-23-2017 at 02:06 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post
    FYI this option disables memory training, so best to check the memory stability with HCI Memtest to check for errors within the OS. Setting MRC fastboot works for some and not others, but if you're still getting memory errors in HCI, it's more of a band aid.
    I already tested the RAM sticks using memtest around 5 hours. It passed each test and completed successfully. I believe the issue is related to BIOS. High memory frequency (3866Mhz) and my CPU overclock prevents the boot due to not sufficient voltages VCCIO/VCCSA etc.

Probably it will be fixed at future BIOS releases.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast