cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus maximus x apex gskill ram compatibility issue (qvl)

TorwaK
Level 7
Hello,

I have installed my rig yesterday and noticed that GSKILL F4-3866C18D-32GTZR (DDR4-3866 - 2 x 16gb) kit is incompatible with the board. The RAM kit is in the board's QVL document however sometimes the computer doesn't boot and shows error 55 at Qcode. In order to fix the issue you have to switch off/on the PC. The problem occurs only when I select Auto or Mode 2 option at Maximus Tweak. There is no issue with Mode 1 however I get 8%-12% less performance from RAM.

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3866c18d-32gtzr

Please advise.

Thanks.
20 REPLIES 20

TorwaK
Level 7
Update - Mode 1 has the same issue.

TorwaK wrote:
Update - Mode 1 has the same issue.

Try Tweak Mode 1 once again, but increase VCCSA and IO manually to around 1.2v-1.25v

Tweak mode 1 has relaxed memory rules, which is why you're able to pass POST stress tests easier.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Try Tweak Mode 1 once again, but increase VCCSA and IO manually to around 1.2v-1.25v

Tweak mode 1 has relaxed memory rules, which is why you're able to pass POST stress tests easier.

I set VCCSA and VCCIO voltages manually. When the system boots up normally it set these voltages around 1.3V automatically. So I manually entered them however it didn't work.

I ran the PC at 5.3Ghz and completed Prime95 (4 hours) and RealBench (2 hours). It's absolutely rock solid. However this cold boot problem due RAM is annoying.

TorwaK wrote:
I set VCCSA and VCCIO voltages manually. When the system boots up normally it set these voltages around 1.3V automatically. So I manually entered them however it didn't work.

I ran the PC at 5.3Ghz and completed Prime95 (4 hours) and RealBench (2 hours). It's absolutely rock solid. However this cold boot problem due RAM is annoying.

It's because the memory isn't stable enough to pass POST stress tests 100% of the time. 1.3v is potentially too much, some CPU will be more comfortable with less than that. You'll need to tune the system accordingly. More voltage to these rails can be just as damning as too little. You can also set a higher DRAM voltage.

Failing any headway there, you'll have to relax some of the sub timings further. The fact the system posts most of the time in Tweak Mode 1 suggests you're not far from being stable.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

TorwaK wrote:

Care to share ur 5.3ghz overclock settings for Prime 95 stability ? Can u post some stability screenshots?
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

G.Skill F4-3866C18D-32GTZR - the same kit as the OP has absolutely does not work with the Apex XI. Just like the OP stated that the kit was listed on the QVL list for his motherboard it is also listed on the Apex XI QVL. Please realize that this kit came out of my Apex X where it ran in my daily driver for the last two years. It doesn't matter if I choose XMP 1 - XMP2 or try and configure it manually. The fact of the matter is, if it's on the QVL it means I should be able to configure XMP and move on - not that I would ever just accept default settings but that's another story lol...

Anyways, unless someone comes on and states they have this kit working on their Apex XI I think Asus should take it off their next revision of the QVL. My two cents.

For the record, went to the shelf and grabbed an old set of G.Skill F4-3200C14D-32GTZ and that kit worked exactly as one would expect listed on the QVL (which it is).

NOTE: Just to avoid anyone suggesting it is my memory controller I did this https://hwbot.org/submission/4105030 with the same Apex XI and 9900k. It's a crappy score (unlike Jabby's score at 2nd place - nice!) but the point is that 4800 mhz at 19-19-19 is ridiculously high.

[/HR]

morph_
Level 11
Is there an equivalent setting for strix boards regarding mode 1?

Shouldn't setting the board to XMP profile also adjust this as it seems like a handful of people are having post issues with ram these days.

I can also confirm IO/SA voltages on auto for my ram:
Gskill F4-3466C16D-32GTZR
VCCSA: 1.272v (auto)
VCCIO: 1.312v (auto)

Had trouble posting it too and even loosened the timing to no luck.
What worked since was just dropping the clock speed to 3333mhz, not ideal but at least the comptuer can post/boot and is useable.

Shamino
hi you can workaround this inconsistent booting by going into dram timing, set mrc fast boot to enabled.

Shamino wrote:
hi you can workaround this inconsistent booting by going into dram timing, set mrc fast boot to enabled.

Dude you are just awesome.:cool: It's fixed.

Many thanks to everyone for their comments.