cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fall Windows 10 Creator Update "Shutdown Issue"

naneweer
Level 7
Ever since my current build finished the lengthy "Fall Creators Update" about a week ago, my system refuses to shutdown correctly.

When either using Start>Shutdown, or pressing the power button to trigger a proper shutdown of Windows 10...
System gets as far as turning off video after the "shutting down" screen.. but when it would normally turn off the computer, it instead goes to the login/lock screen showing the time and background.

Anyone seen this, and have any suggestions? I am not sure if its an issue with Windows 10 and something getting messed up during the update, or perhaps a compatibility issue with the MoBo.. or any of the packaged software.

It is an issue since the only way to get my computer to shutdown, is to force it to shutdown on the login screen by holding power.. and that is causing issues during my next bootup..I don't want to risk damage.

Windows 10 Pro 64x
Asus Maximus IX Extreme
EVGA GTX 970
Samsung Evo 960 500GB (Primary Drive)

(will be reposting this in the forum thread for motherboards as well just incase)
6 REPLIES 6

mdzcpa
Level 12
Try shutting down using ALT-F4

That's the pre-update shutdown for Win 10. After the FCU update Shutdown from Start Menu is now a hybrid routine.

Chino
Level 15
If possible, do a fresh install instead of updating to FCU. My Maximus IX Formula shuts down properly and I'm on the latest Windows 10 revision.

Answer was found, it has to do with Windows 10 and "Fast Startup" being enabled. So perhaps it changed, or it was disabled before hand and the update enabled it.
If anyone has this issue, which according to the Microsoft forums some do.

Thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power/windows-10-not-shutting-down-afte...

Excerpt: Dear Guys,

It seems very simple to resolve the aforesaid problem (We cannot shutdown certain PC's after updating
into Windows 10 Creators update), by doing below said steps in our PC.

1. Go to windows icon (extreme left and bottom of your PC), and use normal mouse button ( left mouse button) and select "settings" > (find "Power & sleep" in the left side menus displayed in the opened box) click on it
> Go to "Related settings" and go to next line "Additional power Settings" click on it.
> Then, go to "Choose What the power buttons to do (Blue underlined settings in the left side menus), click on it.
> Go to the last four options seen in the new window, and "Uncheck" the first option (( Turn on fast Startup (recommended) )) -->> you must uncheck (remove the selection by click on the box)
> Finally Go to "Save settings" to save what you have done yet.

2. Just restart your PC after all the above steps, you can now completely Shut down your PC.

Bye ...Have a nice day.

For more details, view the below YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNHjn7RiK5A

JustinThyme
Level 13
This is very common for the FC release.
I always disable fast start up for a multitude of reasons. Mostly because I want a clean fresh boot and not reloaded problems. Fast start up is hibernation by another name, even uses the same file, hiberfil.sys, to write the kernel as currently resident in the ram as well as loaded drivers then simply reloads them on the next boot.

Something else the the FC edition is doing is prompting a UAC request for some start up items. tenforums has already posted a work around for that for both shutdowns and restarts by adding context to the desktop right click menu that give a few more options over the alt-F4 method.

Overall, crappy call that was not well thought out on the M$ deveopment team. What they were trying to accomplish was just to reload whatever was already up upon restart or shut down and start up by close replication of hibernation or sleep. In the end this time saving feature is taking more time.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

One of the first things I do after an install or update is turn off hibernation completely using the command "powercfg /h off"

This prevents both hibernation and fast start without having to go through the above steps.

zimou13 wrote:
You can adjust how long your computer waits before sleeping or hibernating—or prevent it from turning itself off altogether. But be careful. On a battery powered laptop, inhibiting sleep or hibernation can result in data loss if the battery dies.

Thats when you set it to shut down at 5-10% battery life.
Sleep and hibernation are things of the past. If you have a decent machine with an SSD its not any faster than a regular boot or if so onuy a few seconds different. Not worth the 16-128GB writes on every cycle.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein