cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible unstable OC?

iorv3th
Level 7
I'm experiencing a weird problem. Every 3-5 boots, my BIOS fails to POST with my current OC settings and will reset to optimized defaults. I believe the settings to be stable as I've stress tested both the RAM and the CPU, so what could be causing this issue?
15 REPLIES 15

BlackBishop
Level 8
Memory overclocked too? Smells like cold boot.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
System is failing memory training. Although the system might be stable once in the OS, the POST stress test is failing occasionally, reverting the board into safe mode.

Would help if you could post up your current settings. If looking for a quick debug, relax the primary timings by one or two clocks and soak test the system over a period of time.*
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

JustinThyme
Level 13
iorv3th wrote:
I'm experiencing a weird problem. Every 3-5 boots, my BIOS fails to POST with my current OC settings and will reset to optimized defaults. I believe the settings to be stable as I've stress tested both the RAM and the CPU, so what could be causing this issue?

Can you post all your specs and settings?

Generally if you fail to safe boot mode it doesn't just go there and it never sets your setting to default. You will get a failed boot then a prompt telling you it failed with a Qcode and telling you to hit F1 to enter set up to correct and at this time it will go into BIOS under default settings but the settings wont be changed, it will still be as you left it.

If you are finding yourself with default settings without either clicking optimized defaults while in the BIOS or clearing the CMOS Id be looking at a CMOS battery.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Can you post all your specs and settings?

Generally if you fail to safe boot mode it doesn't just go there and it never sets your setting to default. You will get a failed boot then a prompt telling you it failed with a Qcode and telling you to hit F1 to enter set up to correct and at this time it will go into BIOS under default settings but the settings wont be changed, it will still be as you left it.

If you are finding yourself with default settings without either clicking optimized defaults while in the BIOS or clearing the CMOS Id be looking at a CMOS battery.

Ryzen 1700
G.Skill 16GB, CL14 (B-Die), 3200MHz kit

I never gotten the failed boot prompt. This is the general process:

1. Press power button
2. System turns on for a few seconds
3. System turns off and boots with optimized defaults (this is usually a looooooong boot).

The screen stays black for some time before the BIOS splash screen even loads when this happens. It also seems to be very random. I will post only the settings I've changed in the BIOS below.

Extreme Tweaker tab:

• AI Overclock Tuner - D.O.C.P Standard
  • D.O.C.P - DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34
  • Memory Freq - DDR4-3200MHz
  • CPU Core Voltage - Offset Mode
  • CPU Core Voltage Offset - +0.06250

Advanced tab:

• Global C-State Control - Enabled
  • Pstate0 FID - 9C
  • Pstate0 DID - 8
  • Pstate0 VID - 3A (3.9GHz)

BlackBishop wrote:
Memory overclocked too? Smells like cold boot.

Yes. D.O.C.P 3200MHz

Silent Scone wrote:
System is failing memory training. Although the system might be stable once in the OS, the POST stress test is failing occasionally, reverting the board into safe mode.

Would help if you could post up your current settings. If looking for a quick debug, relax the primary timings by one or two clocks and soak test the system over a period of time.*

Posted

What is your Fail_CNT value? Plz don't say it is 1....
If yes change it to say 4.
If you have multiple restarts with code 19 it is failed training because of known cold boot problem.
It is fixed in new beta BIOS. You need to wait for official release if you are afraid of test BIOSes.

BlackBishop wrote:
What is your Fail_CNT value? Plz don't say it is 1....
If yes change it to say 4.
If you have multiple restarts with code 19 it is failed training because of known cold boot problem.
It is fixed in new beta BIOS. You need to wait for official release if you are afraid of test BIOSes.

Actually just increased it to 3 late last night after reading through the OC.net thread. Time will tell if the RAM training was indeed the issue.

unknownmiscrean
Level 8
Don't touch the p-state VID or DID. It breaks the throttleling or something for a rather anomalous result.

Leave them on auto.

unknownmiscreant wrote:
Don't touch the p-state VID or DID. It breaks the throttleling or something for a rather anomalous result.

Leave them on auto.

https://hardforum.com/threads/ryzen-pstate-overclocking-method-calculation-and-calculator.1928648/

Power saving features work just fine. When I'm just on the desktop the clocks and vcore are low just like they are supposed to be. Also if you dont touch the VID you cant use a P-State OC. That's kinda the whole point.

iorv3th wrote:
https://hardforum.com/threads/ryzen-pstate-overclocking-method-calculation-and-calculator.1928648/

Power saving features work just fine. When I'm just on the desktop the clocks and vcore are low just like they are supposed to be. Also if you dont touch the VID you cant use a P-State OC. That's kinda the whole point.

Which BIOS version? What you are saying is exactly my thinking when I was setting up p-state OC. However whenever I set p-state specific VID it created rather anomalous results. From memory it refused to clock at p-state 0.

When I posted my issues on a couple of different forums, gupsterg told me to only set the FID of p-state 0 and leave everything else on auto. The thread will be around in the C6H section of this forum. My results improved dramatically after following his/her advice.

As for voltages you have to use offset voltage. Even with only the FID set to A0, everything else on auto with +0.075V offset mine works perfectly and has done for over 3 months.