cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram for ROG HERO CH6

winderic
Level 7
Hi All, i have this board on order but just realized the RAM i ordered are not in the support list, will it still work? The title mention Ram for AMD? But G.Skill website do show ROG under the ram QVL. Thanks

G.Skill 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Flare X C15 2400MHz (For AMD)
SKU F4-2400C15D-16GFXR

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2400c15d-16gfxr

ASUS
X370 / B350
PRIME B350-PLUS
PRIME B350M-A
PRIME X370-PRO
ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO
6 REPLIES 6

syldon
Level 9
winderic wrote:
Hi All, i have this board on order but just realized the RAM i ordered are not in the support list, will it still work? The title mention Ram for AMD? But G.Skill website do show ROG under the ram QVL. Thanks

G.Skill 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Flare X C15 2400MHz (For AMD)
SKU F4-2400C15D-16GFXR

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2400c15d-16gfxr

ASUS
X370 / B350
PRIME B350-PLUS
PRIME B350M-A
PRIME X370-PRO
ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO

It is Hynix (double sided memory) which the CH6 doesn't like on the current bios revisions. It should work but most likely at 1866 speed. You can apply some settings manually to try to improve that, or alternatively wait for the next agesa code to be implemented properly. There is a beta version of this agesa code in the top post of this forum. Some on other boards are saying it has helped with Hynix memory, I have yet to see anyone on this board say that though.

TLDR:
I would install the chip and see how it runs. If it fails then install bios revision 0020 from the top post. Failing that input your own settings manually.

syldon wrote:
It is Hynix (double sided memory) which the CH6 doesn't like on the current bios revisions. It should work but most likely at 1866 speed. You can apply some settings manually to try to improve that, or alternatively wait for the next agesa code to be implemented properly. There is a beta version of this agesa code in the top post of this forum. Some on other boards are saying it has helped with Hynix memory, I have yet to see anyone on this board say that though.

TLDR:
I would install the chip and see how it runs. If it fails then install bios revision 0020 from the top post. Failing that input your own settings manually.

I heard quite a lot of issues on current bios so not planning to change anything until stable bios. should i look for other RAM?
I dont have much choose in my area. Any specific specs i should be checking on? Thanks

winderic wrote:
I heard quite a lot of issues on current bios so not planning to change anything until stable bios. should i look for other RAM?
I dont have much choose in my area. Any specific specs i should be checking on? Thanks

The best memory is the gskill 3200Mhz CL14 variation, or one of the higher Samsung b die variations if you want to try for a better binned chip.

I just looked at the prices and since vendors know that people want this for Ryzen, the prices are hiked. Alternatives can be found on the data sheet from Elmor in this forum.

I just advised a friend to buy the 3200 Hynix, because he is on a tight budget. The difference in price in the UK is £190 against £270 on 2 X 8gb sticks. You can get a 3200 stick to run at 2933 easily, and some manage to get the full rated 3200. 2933 is only a marginal difference in game fps.

syldon wrote:
The best memory is the gskill 3200Mhz CL14 variation, or one of the higher Samsung b die variations if you want to try for a better binned chip.

I just looked at the prices and since vendors know that people want this for Ryzen, the prices are hiked. Alternatives can be found on the data sheet from Elmor in this forum.

I just advised a friend to buy the 3200 Hynix, because he is on a tight budget. The difference in price in the UK is £190 against £270 on 2 X 8gb sticks. You can get a 3200 stick to run at 2933 easily, and some manage to get the full rated 3200. 2933 is only a marginal difference in game fps.

yes, also on tight budget that's why i choose 2400mhz RAM since i dont care if gaming increase by few fps, the main concern would be able to run smooth/error free at least. The store where i going to buy from did mention the RAM is build for AMD so if i run into any issues i can exchange it. The current Flare X 3200mhz is about $100 more here. I just can't justify the cost. If i go with 3200mhz 16GB, that would be the most expensive parts compare with ryzen 1600x or motherboard.

I normally only overclock CPU but not RAM. But if the RAM is easy as just running on XMP (didnt do any research about this yet just heard people talking about it) then i dont mind doing it. If too much changes on the timing then i wont bother.

it is all about the budget and expectations... With Hynix chips, you can achieve 2933CL16 or maybe 3200CL16 if lucky. With b-die 3466C14 is not a problem (even with 3200c14 rated sticks), and that could be quite a difference to 2933CL16 in minimum fps in many games...

Sigtran wrote:
it is all about the budget and expectations... With Hynix chips, you can achieve 2933CL16 or maybe 3200CL16 if lucky. With b-die 3466C14 is not a problem (even with 3200c14 rated sticks), and that could be quite a difference to 2933CL16 in minimum fps in many games...

i just hope that this ram that i am getting wont have any issues running at all. Overclock ram is last on my list. I only can find one user using the same ram but with ROG WIFI Version.