Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    On a vacation Array

So, MCE, no MCE, XMP, no XMP or what?

Hi, I've an i7 8700K and 16 GBs DDR4 3000 on a ROG Strix Z370G-Gaming Wifi AC. I'm just a regular user (not an overclocker or anything), and I just want my new PC to work at the CPU's vanilla specs and the RAM at it's specced 3000. So I've a couple of questions...

1) MCE was disabled by default in BIOS 0419 and backwards, right? (I was using 0419 up until yesterday, when I updated to 0430).

2) In order to achieve what I want, I must activate XMP and deactivate MCE, right? Does MCE stays deactivated if you configure the UEFI like that, or you must deactivate XMP as well? (I've heard that they're tied to each other).

3) How does MCE really work anyway? And to what extent does it OC's the CPU? It was NOT my intention to OC my CPU in ANY way up until I decided to do so, and it's definitely not ready for an OC, neither I want to shorten it's lifespan with unnecessary frequencies and voltage right now.

Thanks for the replies.
    Last edited by Dovakhan; 11-23-2017 at 08:34 AM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array SherardG PC Specs
    SherardG PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS ROG G752 & ASUS ROG G55VW
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-8700K
    Memory (part number)32 GB [G.Skill TZRGB] F4-3200C32Q-8GTZR x 4
    Graphics Card #1ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    MonitorASUS ROG PG248Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 PRO MZ-V6P512 (512 GB)
    Storage #2WD2003FZEX
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X62
    CaseNZXT Noctis 450 ROG
    Power SupplySeasonic PRIME 80+ Ti 750 SSR-750TD
    Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
    Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
    Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2 Black
    Mouse Pad Logitech G440
    OS Windows 10 10.0.16299
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC88U

Hi Dovakhan,

Use the newest available BIOS and leave everything at default (though most would suggest to tune everything up to spec) - activate XMP profile for your memory sticks, that's about it.

MCE gives a healthy dose of voltage (in my experience, too much of it) so I set it off and put IA DC/IA AC at 0.01 & LLC @ 5, SVID at BCS, manually set sync all cores at 47 and manually set voltage @ adaptive with negative offset. At least for stock CPU frequencies that should work. It's more aggressive than Intel's stock turbo boost, so I'd recommend to set it to disabled.

I think that the latest BIOS should be less aggressive with the voltage, but let's wait for our resident expert's advise before changing anything.

On a vacation Array

"Leaving everything at default" leaves MCE activated

For now, until my questions are officially replied, I've deactivated both XMP and MCE, and switched my RAM to the default SPD (2133). Conservative, you may say, but I spent 3 years saving for this rig, and like Hell I'm gonna risk it for a couple extra FPS.

New ROGer Array Hopeywolf PC Specs
    Hopeywolf PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC)
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-8700K CPU
    Memory (part number)CMK32GX4M2B3000C15
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Z
    MonitorROG PG278QR + XB271HU
    Storage #1Samsung 960 PRO 2TB
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Evo 1TB x 2
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100 V2
    CaseCorsair X570
    Power SupplyEVGA 1000 T2

Turning on me on the newest bios was a lot better in thermal performance vs the last update

ROG Member Array

Dovakhan, I believe with the factory included BIOS MCE is indeed on by default, but possibly not in the newer versions, I'd suggest updating to the latest. However in all versions if you set XMP to enabled it will ask you whether or not to enable XMP, and as you've mentioned you can just set it manually to be off.
    If you want to make sure excessive voltage isn't being applied with your BIOS settings, just open up CPU-Z and if you're under 1.3v you have nothing to worry about, and you can see the behaviour of your CPU speed. MCE (when I last saw it's awful implementation) was resulting in 1.4v+.

*Hopefully* by now ASUS has released a BIOS version that has sensible voltages and doesn't require intricate tweaking to get Intel like behaviour.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Voltages should be normalized in the newer builds - they were for me.

On a vacation Array

Nice replies, but questions 1 & 3 still aren´t officially replied....

I´m assuming that activating XMP alone doesn´t magically activate MCE in the background or anything despite having it explicitly disabled in the BIOS setting. I´ll double check that option in the BIOS settings anyway, plus voltages.
    Last edited by Dovakhan; 11-24-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Check for yourself and you will see. I always encourage testing and learning.

Deleted the previous posts asking the same question because the board prompts you when you load xmp. You cannot miss the prompt, which is why I suggested testing and learning. Will take you no longer than making a post here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dovakhan View Post

I´ll double check that option in the BIOS settings anyway, plus voltages.
    You already said you'd check, so please go ahead and do so.

On a vacation Array

Quote Originally Posted by Crysto View Post
    If you want to make sure excessive voltage isn't being applied with your BIOS settings, just open up CPU-Z and if you're under 1.3v you have nothing to worry about, and you can see the behaviour of your CPU speed. MCE (when I last saw it's awful implementation) was resulting in 1.4v+.

*Hopefully* by now ASUS has released a BIOS version that has sensible voltages and doesn't require intricate tweaking to get Intel like behaviour.
    I'm getting 1,344v under 100% load (Prime95, max energy usage option), both with XMP activated and deactivated (MCE always off). Is that voltage adequate?

Quote Originally Posted by Dovakhan View Post
    I'm getting 1,344v under 100% load (Prime95, max energy usage option), both with XMP activated and deactivated (MCE always off). Is that voltage adequate?
    Those are very high voltages for Intel stock turbos frequencies ! Your CPU probably does not need such values. After tweaking, mine is between 1.16V and 1.20V under load, and that is with a 3600 MHz Ram kit and L3 at 4.2 MHz. Average power is about 125W. I wonder how you can manage to keep your CPU cool with this voltage.
    Even with MCE enabled, the CPU is stable with no more than 1,26V.
    You had better lower your vcore if you care about lifetime of your CPU. I did not try with latest BIOS, but with 0429, the uncore frequency was oc even with MCE disabled. Did you reduce it ?
    By the way, did you also check vccio and vccsa ? They were far too high by default, which can prevent you from lowering vcore while keeping stability.*

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast