Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    On a vacation Array

I'm starting to get really angry, and to REALLY, REALLY regret buying an ASUS board. Needless to say that I won't recommend buying them to anybody.

Those are supposed to be 100% stock settings, and now I have to mess with the BIOS in order to put things right. Excellent.

Having said that, would anyone please tell me the exact steps to take in order to put a normal voltage to my CPU? Thanks. Right now I have 0430 BIOS defaults except for XMP on and MCE off.
    Last edited by Dovakhan; 11-28-2017 at 01:15 PM.

New ROGer Array Starscream PC Specs
    Starscream PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero X Wifi
    Processor8700K
    Memory (part number)Trident RGB 3200 CL 14
    Graphics Card #1Strix 1070 OC
    Storage #1960 Pro NVMe
    CPU CoolerDeepcool Captain 240 RGB
    CaseThermaltake P3
    Power SupplySeasonic 750 Gold

I have been running into the same issues, although with the Maximus. Here is what I did to finally get better voltages, but my temp is still rather high. With these settings I'm averaging 75C under load with spikes up to about 83C.

Cleared CMOS
    Enabled XMP
    Say yes at the prompt. (Saying no actually caused my CPU to throttle under load due to lack of power)

At this point in time, even with MCE set to Auto, the highest my clocks are going is 4300 under load. Without load, individual cores will hit 4700. (This is with the latest bios, the previous bios caused all cores to be @ 4700 with MCE on auto.)

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

You can set SVID behaviour to 'best case'.

And please folks, no matter how angry you are, do not use expletives on the forum. It's against the rules. I've removed them from your posts. Any more, and it will be adios.

On a vacation Array

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    I have been running into the same issues, although with the Maximus. Here is what I did to finally get better voltages, but my temp is still rather high. With these settings I'm averaging 75C under load with spikes up to about 83C.

Cleared CMOS
    Enabled XMP
    Say yes at the prompt. (Saying no actually caused my CPU to throttle under load due to lack of power)

At this point in time, even with MCE set to Auto, the highest my clocks are going is 4300 under load. Without load, individual cores will hit 4700. (This is with the latest bios, the previous bios caused all cores to be @ 4700 with MCE on auto.)
    At the end that did it. I loaded the BIOS defaults, activated XMP, then activated MCE - pressed "Yes" at that prompt (also put SVID Behaviour to Best Case, but prior to activating MCE I tried that option alone and it solved nothing), and voltages dropped to 1,1 - 1,16 (Core Voltage - VID) while with Prime95. The temperature also dropped from 65 to 45, under stress test.

Right now I swear that I'd love to go into a rant in order to find the culprit of this mess, the culprit of why MCE works better than the Intel stock config, and the culprit of me frying MY BRAND NEW CPU for almost a month for no good reason. But right now I'd be happy just by knowing what the SVID Behaviour option does, and if it's adequate having it at Best Case by default if it doesn't cause any problems or crashes.

Besides, loading defaults changed the CPU Core Ratio at "Per Core", with all cores at "Auto". Prior to that I had it at "Auto" directly. Are they the same? I think that the "Per Core" option is slightly more aggressive with frequency scaling than the other one, but I'd have to test it more to be sure.

Also, with Windows just loaded, CPU Temp and CPU-Z reports 4,7 Ghz of frequency with 0% (or almost 0%) CPU usage, with VID at 1,27. It stays that way for a minute or so until CPU drops at 800 Mhz (default idle). Should I be worried about that? After that, any future CPU load doesn't surpass the normal frequencies/voltages.
    Last edited by Dovakhan; 11-28-2017 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dovakhan View Post
    At the end that did it. I loaded the BIOS defaults, activated XMP, then activated MCE - pressed "Yes" at that prompt (also put SVID Behaviour to Best Case, but prior to activating MCE I tried that option alone and it solved nothing), and voltages dropped to 1,1 - 1,16 (Core Voltage - VID) while with Prime95. The temperature also dropped from 65 under stress test to 45.
    You don't mind VID, it is just the voltage requested by the CPU. What matters is Vcore.

Your values seem incredible. Running Prime95 at 4,7 GHz on all cores with just 1.1V of Vcore and 45°C (even if you happened to use a refrigerated liquid cooling system) is astonishing. Either your monitoring software does not report the right voltage, or your CPU is power/thermal throttling, or you have won the super great price at the silicon lottery, as there must be no more than your chip in the world that can avail itself of such a performance !

On a vacation Array

Quote Originally Posted by AntonioL View Post
    You don't mind VID, it is just the voltage requested by the CPU. What matters is Vcore.

Your values seem incredible. Running Prime95 at 4,7 GHz on all cores with just 1.1V of Vcore and 45°C (even if you happened to use a refrigerated liquid cooling system) is astonishing. Either your monitoring software does not report the right voltage, or your CPU is power/thermal throttling, or you have won the super great price at the silicon lottery, as there must be no more than your chip in the world that can avail itself of such a performance !
    4,3 in all cores, not 4,7. Also using a Noctua NH-D15S with Kryonaut thermal paste on a PC case with 3 fans, one of them 200mm.

Plus the cold days have already arrived here. Of course that it's gonna be cool >)

Anyway, I still haven't tested extensively (aka, with games) that new config. If that SVID behaviour doesn't cause me issues...then yes, I'd have probably been lucky with the silicon lottery >)
    Last edited by Dovakhan; 11-28-2017 at 03:53 PM.

New ROGer Array Starscream PC Specs
    Starscream PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero X Wifi
    Processor8700K
    Memory (part number)Trident RGB 3200 CL 14
    Graphics Card #1Strix 1070 OC
    Storage #1960 Pro NVMe
    CPU CoolerDeepcool Captain 240 RGB
    CaseThermaltake P3
    Power SupplySeasonic 750 Gold

I'm glad to hear you made some progress. Either my voltage is still too high, or my deepcool Captian 240 just isn't up to the job of cooling a 6 core. I really like the looks of it though.

I think I'm going to try clearing everything again this weekend, and manually set the clocks @ 4300. I'll manually set the voltage as well. My concern is after I set this, then load the XMP profile, I will end up with a power throttled cpu. Selecting yes at the prompt after selecting XMP must do something with the power... but exactly what it does I'm not sure. It does say in the caption that the only way to revert back from the settings this prompt applies is to clear the CMOS.

On a vacation Array

Yeah, thx for your tip Star.

Although I still have those remaining questions. Hopefully Raja will be able to reply to all of them, and close this chapter once and for all.

Then tomorrow I'll test the settings by running games, and if they're stable, then I'd call it closure.

On a vacation Array

STILL waiting for an official reply to my latest questions that I published almost 2 days ago. I swear, what a pain it is to get official support from this forum...

The other users have been more helpful than any of the official staff has been so far :P

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dovakhan View Post
    STILL waiting for an official reply to my latest questions that I published almost 2 days ago. I swear, what a pain it is to get official support from this forum...

The other users have been more helpful than any of the official staff has been so far :P
    Do you mind if I ask what's stopping you from enabling XMP and testing this yourself if you have the hardware?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast