Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    On a vacation Array

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post
    Do you mind if I ask what's stopping you from enabling XMP and testing this yourself if you have the hardware?
    1) I already stated that I don't like testing with my new stuff. Nevertheless, I've done it anyway, against my will, out of the inability of the mods to reply simple questions.

2) Test what? I'm asking wheter the MCE option is bugged or not, what does SVID Behaviour exactly do, and if it's recommended to leave it in Best Case by default (and yes, I Googled it), if those CPU Core Ratio options aforementioned are the same, as they seem to be, and if that Windows boot CPU frequency upscale should worry me. There's nothing for me to "test" anymore.
    Last edited by Dovakhan; 11-30-2017 at 09:47 AM.

On a vacation Array

XMP and stock settings confusion

As I've said in previous posts, I've an i7 8700K (STRIX Z370-G Gaming wifi AC), which was at 1,344v at "stock" settings (MCE off, XMP on). With MCE "Enabled" it jumped back to 1,15-1,20v (also minus 15 C as an added bonus). Right now I have no idea of what's going on with my BIOS settings, or if I even have MCE activated or not (I supposedly don't have it activated, as I have Intel stock core clocks, but like I said, my BIOS says otherwise).

I'm getting REALLY tired of using my PC and thinking "Am I frying my CPU this time? Am I not? Ah, I've to check CPU-Z again, see how the voltages are", instead of just ENJOYING it. Do you understand that there are some customers that just want things to work RIGHT at stock settings, and that they don't like to waste their time (and probably their system's integrity) by "doing test themselves", or did you missed that lesson at Customer Support 101?

I hope that SOMEONE finally gives us a clear fix to this issue. Or at least that they say us SOMETHING about the state of this particular issue instead of just getting silence every time someone mentions it.
    Last edited by Dovakhan; 12-03-2017 at 07:38 PM.

New ROGer Array Starscream PC Specs
    Starscream PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero X Wifi
    Processor8700K
    Memory (part number)Trident RGB 3200 CL 14
    Graphics Card #1Strix 1070 OC
    Storage #1960 Pro NVMe
    CPU CoolerDeepcool Captain 240 RGB
    CaseThermaltake P3
    Power SupplySeasonic 750 Gold

I'd have to agree. It should be much easier to a) Run at stock CPU settings with no Memory OC, and b) run at stock CPU settings with XMP enabled for those that purchased RAM advertised to handle higher clock speeds. While I think we have found it is possible to achieve stock performance with reasonable voltages and thermal output, it took far more effort than it should have.

I suppose this board is meant for the enthusiast, but my main reason for purchasing this board was for RGB and integrated I/O panel. It just seemed like a wise choice with the thermaltake Core open case. I figured the enthusiast level of tweak-ability would just be an added benefit if chose to utilize it. I didnt think I would have to dive in to make it operate well under stock clocks.

Edit* I understand XMP does require some level of OC for the CPU, but I do question the fact that the overall TDP appears much higher than it should be in this scenario. I'm not an expert by any means..so if my expectations are off, feel free to let me know!
    Last edited by Starscream; 12-03-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dovakhan View Post
    As I've said in previous posts, I've an i7 8700K (STRIX Z370-G Gaming wifi AC), which was at 1,344v at "stock" settings (MCE off, XMP on). With MCE "Enabled" it jumped back to 1,15-1,20v (also minus 15 C as an added bonus). Right now I have no idea of what's going on with my BIOS settings, or if I even have MCE activated or not (I supposedly don't have it activated, as I have Intel stock core clocks, but like I said, my BIOS says otherwise).

I'm getting REALLY tired of using my PC and thinking "Am I frying my CPU this time? Am I not? Ah, I've to check CPU-Z again, see how the voltages are", instead of just ENJOYING it. Do you understand that there are some customers that just want things to work RIGHT at stock settings, and that they don't like to waste their time (and probably their system's integrity) by "doing test themselves", or did you missed that lesson at Customer Support 101?

I hope that SOMEONE finally gives us a clear fix to this issue. Or at least that they say us SOMETHING about the state of this particular issue instead of just getting silence every time someone mentions it.
    Well for starters, you're using XMP. Some CPU need the voltage. So in actual fact, after all that, you're not even at stock. To put your mind at rest, you're not frying the CPU. Also using CPU-Z to read voltages if terrified about overvolting the CPU, is fruitless too (if we're being pedantic).

ROG Member Array

I agree completely. It shouldn't take some monumental effort to get something running at stock. In my case I'll wind up overclocking it, but I'd like to run it stock to get a good baseline and while I setup my environment. Then I can overclock as I wish. Unfortunately Asus has somehow managed to make it much more difficult to do this than it should be.

Honestly after being disappointed by the last few Asus products I've purchased (and the complete lack of customer service and support on most of them) I said I wouldn't buy another. I'm kicking myself for caving when it was the only way I could obtain an 8700k for a reasonable price (bundle).

Hello

As noted above XMP is not "stock" and some processors need one or more of the settings that XMP provides. If one does want full stock settings set MCE to disabled and leave all memory settings at default including not selecting XMP. A person really can't be complaining about the desire for a fully stock configuration and at the same time overclock the memory by enabling XMP.

On a vacation Array

First of all, I'd like to highlight that all the official reply I've received so far to this thread is an edit to my title, because apparently saying "ONCE AND FOR ALL" is 'too violent' for the mods here. And to top it, I'd REALLY want to know what "confusion" there is when the MCE settings give more stock values than when it is disabled. Can you EXPLAIN where the confusion comes from, dear ASUS mods? From the user, or from you?

I don't know, I could be wrong and be confused myself indeed. But for now the evidence is damn stacking against you. So what about GIVING CLEAR REPLIES ONCE AND FOR ALL? Because this is getting beyond ridiculous. And do you know what a mere edit to the title of a thread instead of ANY satisfying reply (or at least any update) does?

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    I'd have to agree. It should be much easier to a) Run at stock CPU settings with no Memory OC, and b) run at stock CPU settings with XMP enabled for those that purchased RAM advertised to handle higher clock speeds. While I think we have found it is possible to achieve stock performance with reasonable voltages and thermal output, it took far more effort than it should have.

I suppose this board is meant for the enthusiast, but my main reason for purchasing this board was for RGB and integrated I/O panel. It just seemed like a wise choice with the thermaltake Core open case. I figured the enthusiast level of tweak-ability would just be an added benefit if chose to utilize it. I didnt think I would have to dive in to make it operate well under stock clocks.

Edit* I understand XMP does require some level of OC for the CPU, but I do question the fact that the overall TDP appears much higher than it should be in this scenario. I'm not an expert by any means..so if my expectations are off, feel free to let me know!
    Well, I DO hope that my current voltages are the right ones. I still don't know because I seemingly can't get an official reply anywhere regarding that.

This board is supposed to be for gamers, and I bought it because of that, because of the integrated sound chipset being isolated, because of full DDR4 4000 support on all 4 slots (had a bad experience with my previous motherboard because of declining RAM speeds when more slots were populated), and because it's supposed "high quality". It's not like you've bought a motherboard for a quantum CPU: you're not supposed to be a complete expert to enjoy it, something that the ASUS guys here have apparently forgotten.

And you could say that XMP is also "stock". After all, if it's an official feature of both the CPU, motherboard and the RAM modules, then it's supposed to just work, and stay whitin warranty.

As for the rest of my replies, both my 1,344 values and my current ones were taken with XMP on, meaning that that option still doesn't justify why I'm getting way lower voltages with MCE on. The SVID Behaviour option is ruled out as well (currently at Best), because I tried that option alone before activating MCE and it did absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
    I agree completely. It shouldn't take some monumental effort to get something running at stock. In my case I'll wind up overclocking it, but I'd like to run it stock to get a good baseline and while I setup my environment. Then I can overclock as I wish. Unfortunately Asus has somehow managed to make it much more difficult to do this than it should be.

Honestly after being disappointed by the last few Asus products I've purchased (and the complete lack of customer service and support on most of them) I said I wouldn't buy another. I'm kicking myself for caving when it was the only way I could obtain an 8700k for a reasonable price (bundle).
    +1. I also plan to OC my system, but eventually, when my system can't keep up anymore with the newest titles and when mostly I wouldn't care about it cos I'd be close to buying another PC anyway. And not now when my actual PC is brand new and I'm getting 60 fps on literally everything I run.

I was between the one I own and a MSI motherboard. I deeply regret not getting the MSI one now. ASUS may have been famed for their motherboards before, but seemingly their quality has descended into oblivion nowadays indeed.
    Last edited by Dovakhan; 12-04-2017 at 11:13 AM.

On a vacation Array

Still waiting for official replies or updates.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

And you could say that XMP is also "stock".
    Nope, you can't, as it's not.

After all, if it's an official feature of both the CPU, motherboard and the RAM modules, then it's supposed to just work, and stay whitin warranty.
    Nope, it's not .

On a vacation Array

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post
    Nope, you can't, as it's not.

Nope, it's not .
    1) Kudos for your elaborate arguments.

2) Then, according to your definition of "stock", anything but the standart SPD 2133 speeds isn't "stock", right?

XMP is nothing but some extra SPD values in your RAM stick to reflect that that RAM stick is certified and tested to be capable of those speeds. It's not like OCing your RAM and changing it's timings yourself. Now THAT is "not stock".

If the RAM officially says that it's capable, if the CPU officially says that it's capable, and if the motherboard officially says it's capable, it doesn't get any more "stock" than that.

Also, I'm done seeing the mods doing everything but solving anything, or providing at least an update about this, or highlighting where I could be wrong. I'm gonna start raising awareness about this issue. To begin with, I'm gonna retract the recommendation of buying ASUS boards to 2 friends that are about to buy a new PC, then email some major hardware reviewers in order for them to check it themselves (+ Reddit). Let's see how many more customers you lose because you've decided to behave like 8 year-olds.
    Last edited by Dovakhan; 12-04-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast