cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RX580 fans not spinning at 85°

Iacopo
Level 7
Hi, just a quick question regarding my brand new RX580 which, by the way, I truly love. I was running AIDA64 stress test to check if my CPU overclock was stable. Since I couldn't hear any sound coming from the VGA fans I opened the ROG monitor. As expected the card was working at full load, temp was 85° Celsius and though It was set to Gaming Mode and 0db fan I supposed the fans should be spinning to get those temps down. Which they didn't. Is this safe or I'm getting something wrong ?

Thanks

Iacopo*
6 REPLIES 6

Chino
Level 15
When you say ROG Monitor, are you referring to GPU Tweak II? If so, try ramping the fans to 100% manually and check the GPU to see if they spin up.

Chino wrote:
When you say ROG Monitor, are you referring to GPU Tweak II? If so, try ramping the fans to 100% manually and check the GPU to see if they spin up.

Yes, indeed...I was referring to Gpu Tweak II...and I explained the problem poorly...if I turn off 0db mode the fans spin up lowering temps in the blink of an eye...what I don't understand is why the fans didn't begin to operate at such high temps or even before...

If I look at this settings they should begin to spin once the card reaches 55° or so...there's something I'm missing here...

Chino
Level 15
That's correct.

Are you sure you were looking at the correct reading? Maybe you got the VRAM Usage and GPU Temperature mixed up.

Nope, I didn't mix readings up. As soon as I turned off 0db option the fan graph started showing 1460 or so rpm...and the temp went down pretty quick...I'd like to add that I'm using the gaming profile and that I didn't touch any of the parameters...I also noticed that with 0db option enabled I was having some micro stuttering issues while gaming...that didn't happen since i turned it off...but that might just be a coincidence since I was tinkering a bit with the PC...anyway...I still don't understand if 0db option overrides every other settings thus not spinning the fans even at 85°C, which I think is a dangerous temperature to have for an extended period of time..or if I'm getting something wrong or in the worst scenario something is wrong with my VGA...thanks for your contribuition so far, Chino...

Chino
Level 15
Go test it again. Run something like Unigine Heaven and monitor the the fan RPM and GPU temperature. The fans should kick in around 55C assuming the default fan curve hasn't been tampered with.

HI, I really appreciate your effort. I haven't changed any of the default settings and after all the tests I've run seems to me that when 0db option is turned on overrides every other parameter. I don't have any other explanation for this behavior. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.