ROG Member Array Pillsrgood2 PC Specs
    Pillsrgood2 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Formula
    Processori7-7700k
    Memory (part number)Gskill 3600Mhz
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080
    OS Win 10/ DISLIKING very much...

Maximus IX Formula cpu overclocking issues

I have some problems with motherboard/bios for the maximus IX. Granted when I first got this, I had notice that bios seems to be a little touchy, as with some changes it will at times not save and switch the setting changes, and on occasion the saved changes might get defaulted with some difficulty from improper posting, or lack there of. As this has been fairly consistent, they will eventually go away once these settings finally take.
    Now my current problem, I was a little buzzed one night, and I went to check something on my bios settings to see what state it was in, and it was where I had wanted it. Now when I exited bios I made a horrible mistake and just exited with the cursor on change to default settings, now normally that shouldn't be an issue, but for some reason I got all my other settings back to normal, however when I went to work on my overclocking cpu settings I made the changes, and this is where it went haywire. ( I am running win 10 64bit on a uefi raid 0)
    When I saved changes and exit, it went like follows: booted to preliminary bios start screen then I had received a wildly flickering screen and also" noticed my settings had also been defaulted by losing my uefi boot", then my screen blacked out after the flickering it booted again, and repeated the previous flickering, then the process repeated one more time, and then it proceeded to go into an alarm state saying that the cpu was in an overtemp condition, and then I could f1 into bios settings to see the chipset was at 89 degrees c within 15-20 sec, and of coarse once the alarm is there you can only get rid of it via bios flash.
    Now, I had set it up for RMA, as to which the only current status that I had received is that it is fixed for a motherboard overheating issue with the tracking number, as I got this I had called support to question this stating again it was a cpu overtemp alarm, not the board itself overheating,and this is my current situation.
    I didn't want to be out of a system, so I went and bought all new components to troubleshoot this myself, so I tried first the old motherboard and new chipset with the exact same results, then to my astonishment the new motherboard and chipset combo, and yet again with the exact same results, as I also swithed my cpu cooler out to my old unit as I was having difficulty determining if the cooler pump was firing with my new one, and with my old unit I could feel the pump motor fire upon system ini. So I ruled out my new cooler pump failure. So this leaves me with the impression that bios is flagging a false alarm state, which is costing me a lot of time and money. Understand that I was previously running the old motherboard and cpu in an overclocked state for months without issue, as I am also using my new motherboard with the old chipset in a standard state as I can't touch any cpu overclocking changes without getting a false alarm high cpu temp lock out. The motherboard works fine otherwise. I am really wondering what I need to do to have this issue handled correctly, as I don't know any other way to make this problem any clearer?

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Sounds like your cooling is failing. It's the only explanation why the CPU would overheat.

I noticed you didn't specify what cooling you're using. Which heatsink do you have?

Pillsrgood2 PC Specs
    Processori7-7700k
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080

I appreciate the feedback. I am running a coolermaster 240mm radiator, an upgrade from the 120mm I was running prior. Now the largest issue with your statement is the simple fact that the only way that I am aware of the chipset to jump 52 degrees c in a matter of 15 seconds would be to have a short or an arc out in the chip itself which would destroy it, because a great portion of the heat would be soaked up into the copper heatsink and the little bit of coolant that is in the pump body, so even if it was a failure to the cpu cooling power pins it would still take some time to boost to those temps, and aside from that, if that were the case the temp would continue to throttle, along with a more than likely unusable bios as it would be clipping non stop because of said overheating. and looking at the temp reading while in the alarm state the temp is a continuously stable reading which completely shoots an actual overheating instance in the rear, as you would see some fluctuation in the temp reading.

Pillsrgood2 PC Specs
    Processori7-7700k
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080

the cpu, I believe that is what you are asking?

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Check if your AIO is working properly. Clear your CMOS to put system back to stock defaults. Run the stress program of your choice and monitor the CPU temperature closely. If possible, open your case to verify the pump and fan speed during the test.

Pillsrgood2 PC Specs
    Processori7-7700k
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080

Everything is working as it should. Stress test increases were stable with about 2-3 fluctuation, and as immediately as test is stopped the temp throttled back to 30-32 c.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array sdmf74 PC Specs
    sdmf74 PC Specs
    MotherboardMAXIMUS IX FORMULA
    ProcessorI7 7700K
    Memory (part number)F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1GTX 980TI K|NGP|N
    Sound CardON BOARD
    MonitorASUS PG279Q, BENQ XL2420TE, LG 55LM5800
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 512GB
    Storage #2SAMSUNG 850 PRO 512GB, SAMSUNG 850 EVO 1TB
    CPU CoolerEK VELOCITY RGB
    CaseCASELABS MERLIN SM8 (2 TONE)
    Power SupplyEVGA 1300G2 SUPERNOVA
    Keyboard WOOTING ONE, DUCKY ONE TKL RGB
    Mouse RAZER BASILISK
    Headset SENNHESIER G4ME ZERO
    Mouse Pad REFLEX LAB XXXL
    Headset/Speakers KLIPSCH PRO MEDIA 2.1
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC86U

or you could just flash the new 1203 bios
    ASUS Maximus 9 Formula, Intel I7 7700k, EVGA GeForce GTX 980Ti K|ngP|n
    G Skill Trident Z RGB 3600 32GB, EVGA supernova 1300G2, CaseLabs Merlin SM8, Wooting One/Ducky One TKL RGB, Razer Basilisk, EK Velocity RGB w/ HL SR2 360MP & HL Nemesis GTX360, Samsung 960 pro 512gb(OS), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb(games), Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Asus PG279Q 165HZ, BenQ 144hz, Windows 10 pro