cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The BEST Thermal paste for R.O.G ?

camcapa
Level 7
Hi all,

I created this topic to ask you what you think is the best thermal paste for ROG laptops?
I have GL752V and every six months I do a prophylaxis. Now I place Arctic MX-4 thermal paste and Arctic termo pad. When I browse in internet and youtube temperature is 40-43C, when play games
( Watchdogs 2 , Wolfestein and other) temp is 67-71 C. *

*Which, in your opinion, is the best thermal paste for ROG laptops? Will be useful to everyone.

Sory for my english.

Thanks for everyone,
Dobri.
11 REPLIES 11

JustinThyme
Level 13
Thing is for the most part this is personal preference and largely based on price and availability. You will find that pretty much all premium TIM manufacturers produce products that perform equally as well. Ive tried many over the years in many applications. Even recently on a new desktop build for giggles I put Arctic MX-4 on one GPU and Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut on the other. The differnece? The Thermal Grizzly is a lot more expensive. Ive noted no difference in either. They both idle at the same temp and load up at the same temp +/- 1C and then they are off by the 1C it could be either that is higher than the other, not always the same one.

In the end proper preparation and correct application with not too little and not too much is far more important than which name brand is on the paste so long as its a premium paste and not the cheap toothpaste looking stuff.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

MikeAdu
Level 9
Hi!
When I was building my PC,I used Thermal Grizzly KRYONAUT.This stuff is not cheap so you could use Arctic MX-4 as Justin said.The difference will be only in your mind by thinking that you have expensive TIM.I think MX-4 will be good because of changing every 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Korth
Level 14
lol some of the TIM comparison "lab results" published online do indeed test toothpaste. Even a few other obviously dumb choices like vaseline or chocolate. For giggles.
But the sad thing is that the toothpaste actually scored better than one or two of the "real" TIMs. Albeit these TIMs were absolutely garbage, cheap, generic no-name varieties, not even good enough to be used as industrial filler. And the specific toothpaste brand was unspecified.

Top-end premium TIMs have basically identical performance in laptops. Proper application is far, far more important than brand. Part of that "proper application" can be proper choice of TIM viscosity - the different varieties of mating surfaces in a single machine will each work best with different TIMs.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

"Proper application is far, far more important than brand. " Proper application is?

And the topic is which thermal paste is the best only for ROG laptops and products?
А topic from which we can get important information on maintaining our laptops,
and the choice of good thermal paste.

camcapa wrote:
"Proper application is far, far more important than brand. " Proper application is?

And the topic is which thermal paste is the best only for ROG laptops and products?
А topic from which we can get important information on maintaining our laptops,
and the choice of good thermal paste.

Im afraid you are missing the point friend.

A thermal interface is a thermal interface, whether its on an Iphone or a dual socket Xeon. The fact that its in an ROG laptop is of no consequence. You still have to get heat off the die and into the heat sink for dissipation. For this particular topic it really is a one size fits all.

If you want to get right down to it the topic is "The best Thermal paste for ROG" I have a G751JL, G751JY, G752VY, Maximus VIII Extreme with 6700K, Maximus IX Formula with 7700K and a Rampage VI with a 7900X. They are all ROG and the same advice goes for all of them as well as GPUs.

Put simply, buy any premium paste like the MX-4 or Grizzly Kyronaut and be mindful of proper preparation with cleaning the surfaces to be joined and proper application with just enough to do the job. In this aspect the bigger the blob the better the job does not apply. Too much can be worse than not enough as it will actually insulate instead of conduct and dissipate.

Good luck with your project!:cool:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Mamie357
Level 7
camcapa wrote:
Hi all,

I created this topic to ask you what you think is the best thermal paste for ROG laptops?
I have GL752V and every six months I do a prophylaxis. Now I place Arctic MX-4 thermal paste and Arctic termo pad. When I browse in internet and youtube temperature is 40-43C, when play games
( Watchdogs 2 , Wolfestein and other) temp is 67-71 C. *

*Which, in your opinion, is the best thermal paste for ROG laptops? Will be useful to everyone.

Sory for my english.

Thanks for everyone,
Dobri.

Yes, Arctic is the excellent option for ROG laptops. I used Arctic Silver AS5 thermal paste when I build my PC. It transfers heat pretty well. It makes for high power computers. It contains non-electrically conductive which is essential for any coolant.

Retired
Not applicable
1.make sure its not electrical conductive or made in 2003
2.get the paste with the coolest looking tube/package (monster claws, red riding hood, vampire bats, hell hounds, unicorn, zombie bambi, and so on)
3.if the paste feels good for you, it will work just fine
)))

haihane
Level 13
i don't know much about thermal pastes (a little bit of the reason is because i realized it's almost impossible to try them all), but for those that i've tried, i belive in what i see:

if i stays in between my radiator and IHS for 1 year and still doesn't dry up and/or glue them together, it's a damn good TIM.
you pretty much notice the temperature difference once you open temp monitoring programs and watch 'em occasionally.

a good TIM, doesn't make you skip a heartbeat, worrying whether you'll pull out your Heatsink along with your cpu with it when you try to yank it out.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

tonykakkar
Level 7
For me Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound is the best thermal paste