cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a question about the FX553VD BIOS and DRIVER POWER STATE FAILED problem

xeonys33
Level 7
I wonder if the updated GL553VE 304 BIOS on the 23rd can be installed in the FX553VD.
And I wonder if it fixes DRIVER POWER STATE FAILED problem.
5 REPLIES 5

kimpoi017
Level 7
xeonys33 wrote:
I wonder if the updated GL553VE 304 BIOS on the 23rd can be installed in the FX553VD.

I have an FX553VE and also encountered the same BSOD, when alt-tabbing from games to desktop or other apps. The game would not respond, and can't even be stopped thru task manager, and then would go to BSOD. Bluescreen viewer shows ntoskrnl.exe to be the culprit.

I have tried everything i find on the net, including updating the bios to 304 (as mentioned here:https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c0847c0c-63e5-4c4f-9d9f-567c25e08455/fall-creators...) but to no avail. Same BSOD even with BIOS 304.

Temporary fixed this by rolling back to previous version of windows. Asus should fix this, I've seen several complaints regarding this on asus laptops.

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
xeonys33 wrote:

Because model name are not the same, the 304 BIOS of GL553VE can not be installed in the FX553VD.
Sorry for the trouble.

OnePiece@ASUS wrote:
Because model name are not the same, the 304 BIOS of GL553VE can not be installed in the FX553VD.
Sorry for the trouble.

Bios 304 actually released for fx553vd too.

Driver power state failure occurs because the gpu is switching to nvidia and intel and during the switching the nvidia gpu goes to sleep. But fails to respond again when used.

You can fix this by going to nvidia control panel, go to manage 3d settings, find power management mode.from there you can see optimal power, adaptive,consistent, and maximum performance. The default setting is optimal power which makes the nvidia gpu sleep when not in rendering saving power however results in driver power state failure when rendeeing high demanding games.

Select maximum performance to fix driver power state failure as this makes the gpu at maximum clock when a 3d application is running even if your running it in background. This however causes high temperature and high power usage so i suggest selecting only specific programs where you experience driver power state failure to use this mode.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
You may want to check the post below if you haven't seen it, but the problem might be related to the vga drivers if you want to look into that.

It's a good idea to check if the vga drivers were updated and to use the versions posted on the ASUS download site for your model instead for troubleshooting at least to see if it solves the issues.

Thanks.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?97715-GL553VD-Driver-Power-State-Failure-while-playing-cer...