Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: XMP Instability

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

I think there's a mixture of a few things happening here - for instance, you're lowering the auto values for VCCIO when enabling XMP. These values scale because the CPU can need the voltage in tow with memory overclocking. I'd recommend investing in some GSKILL TridentZ memory and returning the Corsair kit to the retailer.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post
    I think there's a mixture of a few things happening here - for instance, you're lowering the auto values for VCCIO when enabling XMP. These values scale because the CPU can need the voltage in tow with memory overclocking. I'd recommend investing in some GSKILL TridentZ memory and returning the Corsair kit to the retailer.
    I was seriously considering getting GSKILL, they were just a little out of my price range and I already had the replacement kit on order.

Early indications suggest the new kit has fixed the situation. I put my overclock and XMP on right off the bat. I didn't touch VCCIO or VCCSA. VCCIO still seems a little high. If I type in the same value manually it shows up purple instead of white or yellow. I'm assuming colour means (un)acceptable ranges?

Anyway, it passed RealBench for 2 hours multiple times, which would almost invariably fail at 20-40 minutes before. I know I should run it for longer I just need to find the time to sit and monitor it. I don't like leaving RealBench unattended as it seems to do weird things with my Corsair Link. It very often kicks my fans up to 100% and once it shut my AIO pump down. Not sure if that was related to the bad memory or just Corsair Link being buggy. I'm thinking the latter.

For good measure it also passed 1200% HCI Memtest, 6 passes of MemTest86 and Windows Memory Diagnostic. I've also reinstalled Windows just in case it got corrupted somehow.

Hopefully I won't be back in another week with more problems!

Nice, that much coverage with HCI is fairly solid, so sounds like you're good to go

New ROGer Array

Urgh...seems like I can't catch a break.

Was aiming to run RealBench for 4 hours and had a BSOD after 2 hours with DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER relating to ntoskrnl.exe.

I've got a feeling it may be related to the Corsair Link problem in my previous post because the AIO pump started making a funny noise as if were running really slow. When it restarted, my H110i GT was not detected. Had to uninstall the 'unknown device' in device manager and let it reinstall itself.

Could it be anything else?

New ROGer Array P-Dub PC Specs
    P-Dub PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus X Hero
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)CMU16GX4M2C3000C15R
    Graphics Card #1MSI 980 Gaming 4g
    MonitorBenQ XL2720T
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 512gb NVMe SSD
    Storage #2Adata SP550 240gb SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Hyper 612 ver.2
    CaseFractal Meshify C
    Power SupplySeasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-650FX 650W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular
    Keyboard Logitech G710+
    Mouse Logitech G Pro
    Headset Roccat Kave XTD 5.1, Turtle Beach x41
    Headset/Speakers Logitech z640 5.1 Speakers
    OS Win10 Pro

Did you happen to have the CMU16GX4M2C3000C15R Corsair kit? We may have the same CPU/Mobo/Ram combo. I'm wondering because I have had random reboots after a cold boot at XMP and instability when trying to overclock slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by PilotGW View Post
    Urgh...seems like I can't catch a break.

Was aiming to run RealBench for 4 hours and had a BSOD after 2 hours with DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER relating to ntoskrnl.exe.

I've got a feeling it may be related to the Corsair Link problem in my previous post because the AIO pump started making a funny noise as if were running really slow. When it restarted, my H110i GT was not detected. Had to uninstall the 'unknown device' in device manager and let it reinstall itself.

Could it be anything else?

You can always try the AVX offset function . If passing for 4 hours, setting a value of 1 should do it. Sounds more like CPU instability to me.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    Did you happen to have the CMU16GX4M2C3000C15R Corsair kit? We may have the same CPU/Mobo/Ram combo. I'm wondering because I have had random reboots after a cold boot at XMP and instability when trying to overclock slightly.
    Yes, same kit. I did have occasional boot loops when I first started but after reseating the RAM it seemed to subside. However the instability remained. The replacement kit hasn't exhibited this behaviour yet and it can be pushed further. The whole thing seems a bit flakey as even the seemingly 'bad' kit passed barrage after barrage of memory tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post
    You can always try the AVX offset function . If passing for 4 hours, setting a value of 1 should do it. Sounds more like CPU instability to me.
    I did have a -3 AVX offset applied when I first started overclocking but turned it off as it seemed to be triggering while playing games too. I'll give it another go. 100MHz isn't going to hurt much in the grand scheme of things.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Deepcuts PC Specs
    Deepcuts PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus X HERO BIOS 1901
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K @ 4.7Ghz 1.215V
    Memory (part number)CMR32GX4M4C3466C16 @ 3200Mhz 1.360V
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti OC 11GB
    Sound CardCreative Omni 5.1 USB
    MonitorDell 24' S2417DG
    Storage #1Samsung EVO 960 nvme 500 GB
    Storage #2Seagate NAS 8TBx2
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X62
    CaseFractal Design Define R5 Black
    Power SupplyCorsair AXi760
    Keyboard Razer DeathStalker Chroma
    Mouse Razer Abyssus
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterMikrotik

My 4x8 Corsair kit only works @ 3200 Mhz in Mode 2
    Have you tried Mode 2?

ROG Enthusiast Array el terrible PC Specs
    el terrible PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus X Hero
    Processori7-8700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z 3200mhz cl14 RGB
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Poseidon
    MonitorBenQ XL2546 1080p 240hz
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
    CPU CoolerEKWB Supremacy EVO
    CaseFractal Design R6 Gunmetal TG
    Power SupplyCorsair HX850 Platinum
    Keyboard ASUS ROG Claymore
    Mouse Steelseries Sensei 310
    Headset Steelseries Arctis Pro GameDAC
    Mouse Pad Steelseries QcK Heavy
    OS Windows 10 Home

My G.Skill tridentz 3600 mhz cl 15-15-15-35 does not work at all on XMP, I mean my computer boots just fine, I can run all kinds of tests with no errors, but when I try to actually game my computer will crash to desktop every 5-15 minutes, sometimes why whole computer will lock up and I even got a bluescreen once (haven't gotten that in years).

Currently running them at 3200mhz cl 17-18-18-36 at 1.344v and it has been stable for a few weeks with no problems.

Hoping it will get fixed in a bios update in the future

Quote Originally Posted by el terrible View Post
    My G.Skill tridentz 3600 mhz cl 15-15-15-35 does not work at all on XMP, I mean my computer boots just fine, I can run all kinds of tests with no errors, but when I try to actually game my computer will crash to desktop every 5-15 minutes, sometimes why whole computer will lock up and I even got a bluescreen once (haven't gotten that in years).

Currently running them at 3200mhz cl 17-18-18-36 at 1.344v and it has been stable for a few weeks with no problems.

Hoping it will get fixed in a bios update in the future

"All kinds of test" being what tests exactly? A BIOS update is not assured to resolve anything. You can try adjusting the VCCIO and VCCSA voltages starting from 1.15v. Memory overclocking on this platform is fairly straight forward, so aslong as the user is able to POST at XMP very little tuning should be needed unless shooting for the stars (4000Mhz+)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast