cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nightmare Installing Samsung 960 EVO M.2 on a G752VS

Enterfrize
Level 8
Problem is on a G752VS laptop computer. For whatever freaky reason, I had to completely wipe my main drive and a blank Samsung 960 EVO 250GB (m.2).

I got WIndows 10 ISO media, and it installs fine.

The problem is that the computer fails to reboot reliably. The hard drive blips a couple times, and I'm staring at an ROG logo. My only choice is to turn the computer off and reboot.

I turned off a number of BIOS features as described here:

http://laptopmedia.com/highlights/having-problems-with-your-asus-notebook-not-supporting-m-2-nvme-ss...

When I booted into Windows, it couldn't recognize my password. It's very bizarre.

Anyone else have strange m.2 experiences like this?

Regards,
Enterfrize
6 REPLIES 6

Enterfrize
Level 8
Fingers crossed, but I think my nightmare is over.

I was given a Retail Windows 10 .ISO (from Microsoft). It accepted the computer no problem, but there must have been an inherent incompatibility.

I decided to try one of my stand-alone OEM Windows DVDs that I bought with another machine, and things went smooth as silk. Finally! I'm thinking there are some programming differences between the OEM and Retail versions that caused the hiccups.

Regards,
Enterfrize

Clintlgm
Level 14
Sounds like a bad Install from the get go. Get your ISO from MS with the MCT Download all your hardware drivers from Asus Support Downloads
Set your BIOS
SATA AHCI
Fast boot disabled
CSM Disabled
Start USB UEFI 64 Bit Installation hit the Shift+F10 that will bring up a CMD Prompt
Diskpart
list disk
Select disk your SSD
Clean
convert GPT
exit and complete install.
Install latest BIOS
Install latest chipset drivers
ATK package
Asus smart Gesture package
Install software and any drivers your having issues with.
Windows will have installed all Windows Native hardware drivers some work ok other you'll need to replace with Asus approved drivers.

If you wish to set up your notebook using the RST raid drives have the driver ready to install on the same USB thumb drive your installing widows with. Set SATA to RAID in your BIOS, Install as above except after you Clean and convert your SSD, you won't be able see your SSD, so this is where you install your RST driver once installed your SSD will be visible again to install too.
use the RST driver in your eSupport folder if you still have it. otherwise download the latest from Intel.
Really its easier to just install AHCI there is no performance difference that I have noticed, Mine came running in RAID mode, I recently clean installed and went the AHCI way I don't see any difference.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

I think I tried that, but it was giving my computer problems for some reason. I was fortunate to have original Windows 10 OEM media. I went the AHCI route, and everything was smooth as silk. It's a big plus that the license key was in the bios and the OS recognized it right away.

The m.2 install really makes a huge difference at boot time.

I was curious to see what would be involved to increase my regular HD space, and I was amazed that anything over 1 TB is few and far between...and expensive in a 2.5" form factor.

Regards,
Enterfrize

Really Seem to be quite a few 2 TB 2.5' hard drives on Amazon
me I use a 500 GB 960 Pro and a 1 TB 850 Pro internal. I have a 4 TB WD Passport USB 3.0 that I use for back up and long term storage of stuff I save but don't use. USB 3 hard drives run just as fast as internal hard drive for most things you use in large folders and Files. I think I paid $79 for the passport, caught a good sale on them
You could always get rid of your Optical drive and replace it with a 2nd 2TB it that turns you on?

Infact if you win the lottery you could put a 2 TB M.2 EVO in that 2nd slot, Imagine that 6 TB internal storage

Edit changed link to the correct page for 2.5" hard drives.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Enterfrize
Level 8
How do you swap the DVD out?!? I didn't know that was a removable part. Is it swappable?

Enterfrize wrote:
How do you swap the DVD out?!? I didn't know that was a removable part. Is it swappable?

Hello,

It is possible. DVD drive is removable. You can purchase a 9mm hdd caddy and transfer the plastic siding from the original DVD drive to the caddy.