cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting the performance (fps) that others reportedly are

City_Builder
Level 7
Hello,

I've now had my G74SX for about a month or so and quite honestly, I'm not getting the performance that so many others are claiming to get, and it's borderline for me to even call this a gaming laptop.

I don't mean a gaming laptop compared to other laptops on the market, I'm sure this one beats most of them in the price range of this laptop, however the performance with some of todays games have been are, abysmal for me. I'm talking mostly about the new 3D games that have come out in the past year like Skyrim, and a few other RPG's, as well as some city building games like Anno 2070 and some others.

First my laptops specs
Asus G74sx
8GB System RAM
Nvidia GTX 560m with 2GB video RAM
Windows 7 home premium

Playing skyrim I have to turn down the settings all the way to "ugly" setting to get decent performance else it runs in the tweens for the fps (like 14 to 19)

Playing Anno 2070 if I don't turn down the settings all the way to "ugly" settings I also get about 17fps.

Some first person shooters that I play are also in the tweens for fps as well.

I'd really like to punch the sales man in the nose at best buy right now... He tells me "oh yeah I have this one, and I play BF3 at ultra high settings and get around 70 to 100fps. WTH? I don't get anywhere close to that on that game, I'm lucky to get 15fps at ultra high settings and barely touching 35 at 'ugly' settings.

Can somebody please help me to get the performance out of this laptop that others are stating they are getting with today's modern games please.

Thank you for your time,
-CB-
4 REPLIES 4

detras
Level 7
City Builder wrote:
Hello,

I've now had my G74SX for about a month or so and quite honestly, I'm not getting the performance that so many others are claiming to get, and it's borderline for me to even call this a gaming laptop.

I don't mean a gaming laptop compared to other laptops on the market, I'm sure this one beats most of them in the price range of this laptop, however the performance with some of todays games have been are, abysmal for me. I'm talking mostly about the new 3D games that have come out in the past year like Skyrim, and a few other RPG's, as well as some city building games like Anno 2070 and some others.

First my laptops specs
Asus G74sx
8GB System RAM
Nvidia GTX 560m with 2GB video RAM
Windows 7 home premium

Playing skyrim I have to turn down the settings all the way to "ugly" setting to get decent performance else it runs in the tweens for the fps (like 14 to 19)

Playing Anno 2070 if I don't turn down the settings all the way to "ugly" settings I also get about 17fps.

Some first person shooters that I play are also in the tweens for fps as well.

I'd really like to punch the sales man in the nose at best buy right now... He tells me "oh yeah I have this one, and I play BF3 at ultra high settings and get around 70 to 100fps. WTH? I don't get anywhere close to that on that game, I'm lucky to get 15fps at ultra high settings and barely touching 35 at 'ugly' settings.

Can somebody please help me to get the performance out of this laptop that others are stating they are getting with today's modern games please.

Thank you for your time,
-CB-

I feel the same man, can anyone help?

But I have Nvidia GTX 560m with 3GB video RAM

I also have the g74sx bbk7 and although it played games out of the box better than any previous computer I had owned before, it was after doing a clean install and getting all drivers direct from the manufacturers that it truly showed what it could do, especialy updating the wireless driver, that made a huge difference in perfomance (intel wifi) some games micro stuttered and lagged slightly but I started using a program called quiet hd and after that all my games run very very fluid only game that I have that does not is crysis 2... using nvidia inspector though I can run it on extreme. if you have not clean installed its definately worth it and quiet hd helps also.

i have asus g53sw gtx460m 8 gb ram 2ghz i7 processor

Bf3
1080 resolution, AA high, texture high, shadow med, other stuff high/med get lowest 35 fps avg aroud 45-50

i had an issue where i was getting very low fps. and now its been resolved. u are most probably having the same problem

please refer to the thread below

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2329-ATTENTION-G73-53SW-Owners-CPU-Throttling-to-798mhz-and...

dstrakele
Level 14
Once you've updated your drivers, particularly the video driver, resolved any DPC Latency issues, and eliminated CPU Throttling with ThrottleStop, it comes down to configuration of the video driver and game client (including installing game patches). I recommend you post in the forum specific for the games you're interested in to get info on configuration and game updates.

For best performance, you'll probably want to start with a clean Windows 7 installation to eliminate the drag caused by the pre-installed ASUS Bloatware.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT