cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Hero X Post but will not continue boot

CajunRon
Level 7
I am building a new system with (note that I have build 5 to 10 systems over my life time)

Maximus Hero X and an Intel i-5 8600X processor
Numerous hard drives from my old system (Three SSDs, two HDs, one DVD drive)
One M2 SSD
ASUS Geforce GTX 750 video card

First boot went fine until I tried to install the Windows 10 operating system via the DVD drive. The first problem was that the installation was giving the error message "Couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one". After many diverse attempts, Google searches and recommended fixes I was finally able to get the Windows 10 OS to install on one of the SSDs. The system then booted fine.

I installed the many ASUS drivers and utilities from the ASUS DVD. Booted numerous times...everything seemed good. I then opened ASUS Suite III and elected to run the included automatic optimization utility. On boot the system reported 25% overclocking and seemed to boot fine until it got to the point where it should normally show the operating system loading. The system froze with a "black" screen (it was evident that the monitor was receiving some signal...it wasn't "dead black")

To make a long, long story short here is where I am

1. I have removed all devices from the motherboard.
2. I can enter the UEFI bios with no problem
3. I have reset the bios to default
4. I have removed and reinstalled the CMOS battery
5. Any attempt to boot with the SSD with the Windows 10 operating system goes to the same blank screen. The motherboard reports code AE
6. Any attempt to boot from the DVD drive with WIndow 10 installation disk gives me a picture of the initial blue windows 10 graphic and then freezes. The motherboard reports code AE
7. An attempt to boot from my old WIndows 7 SSD shows a good boot up to the sign in window where I am being asked for my sign-in password but the keyboard and mouse do not work so I can't proceed any further. The motherboard reports code A0 (a good boot). Note that an earlier attempt to install Windows 7 from an installation disk when I could not get Windows 10 to install, resulted in the installation starting fine but again the keyboard and mouse would not work

So this is where I am....I have a very expensive door stop right now and don't have a clue what to do next.
7 REPLIES 7

Menthol
Level 14
When Installing Windows only have the drive connected that you want Windows installed on, only install other drives after installing windows and all drivers
If you want to Install Win 7 you need to use the ASUS install utility that slips USB 3.0 drivers into the OS
When using Aisuite to overclock it will crash and reboot trying to find the highest overclock, better to OC in UEFI (bios)

Interesting tips that I might consider next time but this doesn't help me get out of the "dead in the water" situation, I have been able to boot with my old Windows 7 hard drive all the way into Windows but it's very unstable (all kinds of driver and software incompatibilities). I still can't boot into the Windows 10 installation DVD. This is really weird.

CajunRon wrote:
Interesting tips that I might consider next time but this doesn't help me get out of the "dead in the water" situation, I have been able to boot with my old Windows 7 hard drive all the way into Windows but it's very unstable (all kinds of driver and software incompatibilities). I still can't boot into the Windows 10 installation DVD. This is really weird.

hi I had a lot of issues with the ram speed and voltage the board assigned originally.
try to boot and install with only 1 stick of ram
if you can get into bios before you go down to 1 stick path increase the ram voltage to 1.35 , also VCCIO to 1.10v and cpu system agent to 1.15v this should provide extra stability till you install windows and then re-tweak as you need.

vaiacondios wrote:
hi I had a lot of issues with the ram speed and voltage the board assigned originally.
try to boot and install with only 1 stick of ram
if you can get into bios before you go down to 1 stick path increase the ram voltage to 1.35 , also VCCIO to 1.10v and cpu system agent to 1.15v this should provide extra stability till you install windows and then re-tweak as you need.

No need to do this at all. You are just making all this up. It has no influence on the issue at all. Bios will automatically see the Ram specs and making adjustment with voltage and so on. Your advice was good 15 years ago (maybe) but not on modern motherboards.

emsir wrote:
No need to do this at all. You are just making all this up. It has no influence on the issue at all. Bios will automatically see the Ram specs and making adjustment with voltage and so on. Your advice was good 15 years ago (maybe) but not on modern motherboards.

why don't you let the OP decide for himself. If the boards are so good these days , there would be no need for this forum. Look at how many issues people have with the new boards. Also I had something similar happen to me hence the advice, nothing made up. True story. What has he got to lose? at the moment he cannot use his hardware

Though I'm sure you all mean well, you have hijacked my topic. I no longer want to overclock nor care about any tips on how to do it.

What I need is help fixing my system that is now "broken". To update my status.

The system will POST but will not BOOT from either the hard drive containing the OS nor the DVD drive containing the Windows 10 installation disk. The boot stops with a motherboard code of AE.

The system will POST and BOOT from the hard drive containing my old Windows 7 installation from my previous computer. (Not very usable since all the drivers are wrong)

The system will POST and BOOT from the Windows 7 installation disk but I get error messages when trying to install Windows 7. The error messages indicate that this system (Maximus X Hero and Coffee Lake processor) will not run Windows 7.

So at this point I do not have nor can I install a working operating system on this computer. . This all came about AFTER a successful installation of Windows 10 and a first attempt at overclocking using ASUS provided software.

Post Script: I have now come to the conclusion that this is a hardware failure problem not a setup problem. This is based on the fact that I was able to install the OS and boot up, install all ASUS drivers and utilities and then on first run of the ASUS software, the system failed to boot even after clearing the CMOS and resetting the BIOS to default. My plans are to get a replacement motherboard.

Try to change CSM options or uefi mode in bootmenu of Hero X.