cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barebones Prime Z270A Evolving into a Folding@home Workhorse

Smokin_Joe
Level 10
Budget: Hopefully less than $1800 cdn.
(Reliable top Quality equipment will be willingly purchased if bought at deep discount.)
Main uses of intended build: Remotely accessed server/vm host/folding@home machine
Parts required:
Nothing at the moment but I will be updating more components.
Don't need a video card just yet.
Cabinet maybe
(I do have a spare Antec...
http://store.antec.com/gaming-series/nine-hundred.html
one of our guests left behind....it has huge fans and It is a cheaper model than the one I have in my multimedia center)

Previous build information :
ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI DVI M.2 USB 3.1 Z270 ATX Motherboard
CDN $179+S&T($201.59 )
Intel 7th Gen Core i7-7700K Desktop Processor (BX80677I77700K)
CDN $198*+S&T(?)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 Dram C13 Memory Kit (it is on the QVL)
CDN $619.99**
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
CDN $34.99 (Price went down $10, next day, and Amazon will be giving me a gift certificate of $10)
(Corsair mem+Cooler Master total including S+T $733.58)
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" 7200 RPM SATA III 64MB
CDN $54.99 +S&T($61.59)
EVGA 550 B3 CDN $74.99 +S&T( $83.99)
Monitor resolution: Current Office ROG Laptop Display settings 1920x1080 + Philips Monitor settings 1680x1050
Future Storage requirements:
4 or 5 hardrives....+5 USB 3 external harddrives
Will I be overclocking:
Don't know, probably not much
This motherboard comes complete with almost everything onboard.
At the moment I am looking for the bare minimum in requirements to get it up and running.
If you noticed some of the pricing has been unbelieveable...;)

Stay tuned and I will let you know how it performs.
I am sure I will need advice in the future.
Thanks for your time.
$1278.75 cdn approx invested Barebones waiting for deliveries.

I used this calculator here and with 2 video cards and 5 hard drives(1xM.2 and 4xsata) I couldn't get it to push past 400 watts at 24/7 gaming...
https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator#Basic

Currently I don't see a need for the NVME M.2 harddrive system.
...I will wait for the price drop...lol

*I was buying an i7 for $215cdn (in my cart) and by the time I found the cooler and memory it had been moved out of my cart because the price had changed up about $160:eek:.It was in my cart for less than 10 minutes... I complained to Amazon and they said it was from a 3rd party and I should of bought it when I had the chance...grrr.
Next day Amazon was selling it $370 (down $10) and it was available from other sources for $198...NEW...bought it...quality will be guaranteed by Amazon:D
**When I was looking for the Cooler Master Fan I ran across the 64Gig DDR4 kit from Corsair, sold by Amazon, and it is currently selling for more than $1400cdn.
5 REPLIES 5

Smokin_Joe
Level 10
Hmm
58 views and not one comment.:(
Just bought the EVGA 550 B3

xeromist
/subscribed

I still have an Antec Ninehundred! It was a good case for its time but cable management was virtually non-existent. I had to add some holes to make routing a bit easier. Unfortunately just after I finished building it years ago my carrying strap broke and it took a spill. So the front plastic is damaged and the powder coat has a chip. *sigh*
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Smokin_Joe
Level 10
Sorry it has taken me so long to continue to update my progress.
Life can get in the way sometimes.
Currently I am wondering if the Cooler Master has to be installed exactly as it is described in the instructions.
With the i7 cpu it ends up blocking one of the Ram strips.
Can it be installed 90 degrees on axis?

xeromist
I don't see why not. I've installed a 212 in both orientations and lived to tell the tale.

Do you want this thread moved to the Modding & Builds forum section now that you have your parts?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Smokin_Joe
Level 10
From the manual the pictures seemed to determine one direction was correct and the other was not...going to see if I misunderstood the directions...lol
Do you want this thread moved to the Modding & Builds forum section...?
Sure xeromist...sounds like a good idea...
I just peeked at the price of the mem I bought....saved about $1200 according to Amazon.ca...cpu and mb are both over $100 from what I paid.