Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

It's still not listed despite being affected...

ROG Enthusiast Array

From my point of view, it is unacceptable for expensive high-performance Asus ROG G752VS laptop that:

1)
    such a long time ELAN touchpad doesn't work ok in Windows, and doesn't work at all in Linux

[3.250831] i2c_hid i2c-ELAN1203:00: i2c-ELAN1203:00 supply vdd not found, using dummy regulator
    [3.287631] hid-multitouch 0018:04F3:3043.0007: Ignoring the extra HID_DG_INPUTMODE
    [3.287673] input: ELAN1203:00 04F3:3043 Touchpad as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:15.1/i2c_designware.1/i2c-2/i2c-ELAN1203:00/0018:04F3:3043.0007/input/input16
    [3.287754] hid-multitouch 0018:04F3:3043.0007: input,hidraw6: I2C HID v1.00 Mouse [ELAN1203:00 04F3:3043] on i2c-ELAN1203:00

even if someone made an alternative touchpad firmware that fixes the problem both in Windows and Linux
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ad-Gesture-Fix

2)
    within BIOS settings no option exist to disable "USB charging"

3)
    within BIOS settings no option exist to disable Intel Management Engine.

28 August 2017, Mark Ermolov and Maxim Goryachy
    Intel Management Engine is a proprietary technology that consists of a microcontroller integrated into the Platform Controller Hub (PCH) chip and a set of built-in peripherals. The PCH carries almost all communication between the processor and external devices; therefore Intel ME has access to almost all data on the computer. The ability to execute third-party code on Intel ME would allow for a complete compromise of the platform.
    After unpacking the executable modules, our research team proceeded to examine the software and hardware internals of Intel ME.
    A large number of XML files contain a lot of interesting information: the structure of ME firmware and description of the PCH strap, as well as special configuration bits for various subsystems integrated into the PCH chip. One of the fields, called "reserve_hap", drew our attention because there was a comment next to it: "High Assurance Platform (HAP) enable". Googling did not take long. The second search result said that the name belongs to a trusted platform program linked to the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA).

While we are waiting Asus announced reaction, here's another type of approach how to handle this most probably NSA back door:

- following the recent Intel Management Engine (ME) vulnerabilities combined with some engineering work the past few months on their end, System76 will begin disabling ME on their laptops;

- Purism has announced today (19 October 2017) all laptops to be shipping from their company will now have the Intel Management Engine (ME) disabled;

- Linux world: via an open-source, third-party tool called me_cleaner, it's now possible to disable & strip down Intel's ME blob.

ROG Member Array

Has anyone spoken with ASUS directly? The news article still does not mention the G752 model

I wonder if it's been orphaned

EDIT: The G752VS is compatible with the firmware update posted despite not being listed (the G752VSK is listed instead). I ran intel's tool and it confirmed that the patch did its job
    Last edited by danmaku; 01-10-2018 at 03:53 PM.

ROG Member Array

Best keep flooding their support about it. That's damn scummy.

ROG Member Array

support says:

Thank you again for contacting ASUS Technical Support, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to our previous email.

I do realize your unit is not in the list, however, this is an ongoing development. I recommend checking back within a week or so to see if there is any further update regarding your unit.

I hope this information was helpful, thank you again for your patience in handling this challenge.

Regarding disabling ME:

Intel ME is used for DRM like netflix. This is why scumbag manufacturers dont give us option to disable. They cannot conceive that someone does not need nor want drm. Personally I want the option to disable, I won't use any site or service that is hostile to owning your own machine like android bank apps or drm using services or games.
    Last edited by Rentard; 01-08-2018 at 01:15 PM.

New ROGer Array

There is already a Firmware Update for various G752 to close the security hole.

You can find it here under "driver&tools" and then select other "others" for the OS selection: https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic...Desk_Download/

I have already installed it for the G752VT. You can find it for other models like the G752VS under the same section.

ROG Member Array

There is no G752VM update still.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

will the microcodeupdate be available for g751 series?

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    There's an announcement from a few days ago but the 752 isn't on it:
    https://www.asus.com/News/q5R9EixxfAqo1anZ
    Well it is there. Just search for it .

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600
    Memory (part number)16GB DDR4
    Graphics Card #1GTX980
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by winyl View Post
    Well it is there. Just search for it .
    Yup, it appears the 752's have been added since I posted that link. I'll update my post.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast